1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Specific gun for hunting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kyle Spieles, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

My father and I are thinking about going on a fox hunt later this month and would like to know if any of you have any fox hunting experience? What guns do you recommend for this hunt? I know this is trapshooting specific but thought I would ask anyways. Thanks in advance.

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

In my part of New Jersey, foxes are run by hounds and NEVER killed. If you want real trouble, just let the hound men find out that you killed one.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Open field? Wooded area? I have used a rifle and a shotgun depending where I was hunting.

I have a 50 foot speaker cord that use. I will put the speaker out in front of me so the fox is looking at the speaker and not at me. One time I put it out and turned it on and within 2 min I had a fox jump on the speaker. I shot so fast and got the fox I thought I shot the speaker. Luckly I didn't. LOL

You can go to Cabela's and get one of those dancing rabbits or fur balls that will drive the fox nuts. There are alot of fox calling items out there. You just have to decide what you want.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Many years ago ( in the 50's) I hunted a lot of fox in Indiana. There was a bounty on the ears but I forget how much it was. I always used a single shot 410 but I also carried a 22mag for longer shots. I saved all the bounty money for two years or longer and bought a new Browning Broadway with it years later

5. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

it will be a wooded area. I was looking at the Remington 770 Stainless Camo. What are your guys thoughts and what guage would you recommend?

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

12 ga mag or if you really want to knock the crap out of them 10 ga. I have a Rem SP10 and its a great gun tha will reach out and touch them.

7. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I would like to get it mounted so I don't want a 6" hole through the pelt. :)

8. philk

philk Member

A small centerfire .22 with solids shouldn`t mess up the pelt to much. And the one time I would go for a variable scope in case you call them in in a wooded area or make longer shots out in the open.

9. philk

philk Member

Cubancigar, that brings back memories. Back when there were pheasants to hunt here, I remember Dad always bringing back some fox ears to turn in.

10. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

Try a 223 with 40 grn bullet like the Vmax. Fur friendly and probably wont exit the fox. Good for any shots beyond shotgun range. If using a shotgun a load of 2's or BB in 2 3/4 in with a full choke. Will not need any more than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.