1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**SPECIAL STEEL??**

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ismah, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismah

ismah Member

I just noticed "Special Steel" is stamped on my BT-99s barrel. Is this just a label of some kind or is there really something special about it? Bill

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Very special! Seitz and Alfermann would use but too expensive! Tom Rhoads

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its recycled from the Stoegers and Kriegoffs that have blown up, thats what makes it so "Special" ... This might be a rumor but thats whats going around ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. ismah

ismah Member

Tom, I'm not familiar with those names. I'm looking for information not clever attitudes.

5. ismah

ismah Member

WPT, you mis-spelled Stoeger. Are you and Tom related?

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ismah, better ask Browning.

7. ismah

ismah Member

Big M, I checked their web-site and found no reference to it. I guess I'll call them direct.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

"i" before "e", also the "H". I have to wonder what happened to WPT that he thinks Krieghoffs blow up more than other guns. He has referenced this before. Any bad experiences? Jon

9. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Must be different than the aircraft piping one gun builder used? AJ

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I actually shot a Krieghoff K-32 combo for awhile many years ago and never had a problem with it ... I shot a bunch of Model 12's and own a bunch of them that I have never shot that now are resting in the safe just in case I get the itch again ... I have shot and owned (still own) several Perazzi's and will probably shoot the one I had started shooting last year as soon and the Doctor says I can go back and start shooing again ... I do not recall ever shooting a Stoeger, and have never owned one ... I did own a couple of Brownings but they were nothing "Special", so they were not around very long ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Why don't you just call the factory and ask to talk to the guys that made them or the engineer. When I have a question I call Kolar and they answer it. John

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

here you go.

"This goes back to the beginning of the auto 5 production in 1903. John Cockerill was a British Industrialist whose company supplied high quality steel to Fabrique Nationale (FN) which was the maker of the A-5.

The Cockerill name was first used on Browning barrels stamped "cockerill steel". The steel was a very strong quality that met the proofing requirements of guns that were shooting smokeless powder. Eventually the Cockerill name was dropped from the barrels and "special steel" was used instead.

The FN guns that were not sold to Browning in the US, uses the barrel stamp of "acier special" which means special steel in the French language."

Google is our friend

--- Chip King ---

13. ismah

ismah Member

CHIPKING, Thank you for the information. I tried Google and came up empty. Bill

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The reason I mentioned Krieghoff and Stoeger is because more times than not when you read about a gun blowing up on TS.Com its usually one of those they are talking about ... I have nothing against either gun personally and have not had any bad experiences with a Krieghoff at anytime in the past 35 + years of shooting ... I have witnessed many guns blowing up, they make a hell of a noise and parts usually are flying all over the place ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

"I have witnessed many guns blowing up" Sorry I call B.S. to that one. Bill

16. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Kind of early in the day for popcorn and beer, but I am willing! Tom Rhoads

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep, BS. Meter's pegging!!!!

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have seen at least 6 guns blow up over the past 35 years ... Maybe thats not considered many but call it whatever you wants but its not BS ... Two of them were on the same squad I was on and the others were when I was watching from reasonably close by ... I guess you had to be there ... WPT .. (YAC) ...

19. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

MY BPS HAS IT STAMPED ON BARREL ALSO. SOUNDS LIKE A MARKETING PLOY.

20. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So WPT were all the shells loaded by the same guy? Two guns blew up on the same squad you were on? That has to be some kind of record. You should write to Guiness and see if it is a record. :) Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

early browning cockerill steel