1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

@@ Special palm swell work @@

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

I wanted to show a job that the guys completed this week and it came out great. A shooter wanted a palm swell added to an existing stock and I know that some places use a putty to do this but I did not like the look whan it was completed. The putty would have been much less expensive but here goes. We put the stock on the CnC machine to cut out a pocket in the stock grip area. Next a piece of English Walnut was cut on the machine to match the profile cut in the grip. The piece was epoxied in and then finished filed & sanded to what the customer wanted for size. Cindy did the checkering and the photos show the finished product. The cost was $ 600.00 and I would appreciate some feedback on the look and quality of the work. Thank you good or bad I just want to know for our guys here. Thank you for taking a look,

Dennis DeVault & The Crew

dennisdevault_2008_0303397.jpg

dennisdevault_2008_0303398.jpg

dennisdevault_2008_0303399.jpg

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Look dam good Dennis, to this pilgrim. Scott

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would think the owner will be happy

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Quality is expensive but worth it in the long haul as seen here.

Me I just cut a golf ball in half and ducktaped it to my palm no checkering just dimples.

I got to do what my money tells me

Tin Cup

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have big hands and that looks real good to me.

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looks pretty darn good to me.

7. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

I wish their would have been before pictures because that looks like it was original. Great work

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

How looooong did you have to look for a piece of wood that matched that well? BEAUTIFUL Ross Puls

9. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Excellent, excellent work ... and a terrific idea. I have always thought .... if I was a manufacturer of custom stocks - I would make a stock just like you did. With a cut-out in the grip area .... and then mold many different shapes of rubber inserts (I like rubber for grip purposes) .... so customers could pick which insert felt best in their hands. Slap that insert onto the stock ... and be done with it.

10. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Very nice job!

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Looks as though it was made like that in the beginning!! Great job guys!!

Hap

12. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Great work-

As someone else in the woodwork industry- can i ask what make and model of CNC machine do you use and what Cad/Cam software do you run it with?

Fantastic job!

13. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Doc

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like how it fit the stock wrist curves. The checkering covered up the line of the cut in. Very nice work.

I was talking to Tron about add a wood palm swell to my Beretta.
    He said he was working with you on this. Is this his K80?
    John

15. plux001

plux001 Member

Personally, I don't like it at all. Looks to me like you need a bit of practice to get the technique down. Just to help you ('cus this is the kinda guy I am), I'm willing to let you practice installing one on my gun, and I won't charge you!!!!

Nice job....

Paul

16. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

No this was not the stock from Tron. He has asked me but I don't know what to do now that it is out there. The biggest problem is the cost of the CnC time and programming. I only have one mill and it is tied up most of the time. To Aussie Dan the model was done 3D in MasterCam and tool paths were in the same software. I would like to develope an insert made of a rubber type product that could act as an insert but have not come up with that yet. Since this was our first time in doing this we had some shipping expense back and forth to the customer to be sure that the palm swell was correct before we finished the final sanding, shaping & checkering. Thank you for the feedback.

Dennis DeVault & The Crew

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Where you able to just keep the job confined to the checkered area, without refinishing the whole stock?

18. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Pretty Kool!

Would have been interesting to see the process. You should do a photo run on the next one and wow everybody.

To me the most impressive part is the checkering. Matching the existing over that hump must of been a monumental task. Masterfully done. Cindy deserves the Gold Star on that project!

Charlie

19. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

Looks really good. The addition matches quite well. This is a process I would be interested in. Would it be possible to tighten up the grip radius at the same time?

20. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Dennis:
    that looks pretty good. Does it in any way compromise the strength of the stock in that critical area?

Taking that one step further... perhaps could finger grips be retrofitted to an existing stock?
    Just thinking outside the box.
    Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.