1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Spears Release Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lead-Sprayer, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lead-Sprayer

Lead-Sprayer Member

Hi all! My Dad just purchased a used BT-99 Plus and it has a Spears release trigger. He doesn't use a release and will have it switched to pull. Does anyone now the approximate value? We took the buttstock off and it says "Spears Gun Shop 95-96". Is there demand for this trigger or is it sellable? Not familiar with release triggers or "Spears Gun Shop". Thanks for any help and Happy New Year.

Sean

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have a BT-99 with a Spears release trigger & when I got it back from Spears there was note included that said since they actually replaced some of the Browning parts to do the conversion, they recommended sending the gun back to them if I ever wanted it changed back to a pull trigger. John

3. Lead-Sprayer

Lead-Sprayer Member

Thanks John. We were also wondering about that. I think he is going to try and call Spears this week to get a little info. We took apart his older BT-99 and looked quite different.
    Sean

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you do send your gun to Spears to have it converted back, don't wait by the door for it to come back.

Just say'n.............

5. Lead-Sprayer

Lead-Sprayer Member

I'll let him know that, good thing it's winter. He can't hardley wait to shoot the thing now. Thanks Matt.

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I took a release trigger off a BT 99 once. It was a real pain in the back side. You need a v cut in the end of a flat blade screwdriver to reinstall the spring. It can be done, but I would talk to Spears first. I found them to be quite helpful.

JON

7. Lead-Sprayer

Lead-Sprayer Member

Jon, we pondered on taking it out for a while, but thought we better leave it to someone a little more knowledgable or talk to Spears first. Thanks.

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

A BT-99 with a good release trigger (which the Spears release should be) should be worth a couple hundred more dollars than the same gun WITHOUT a release trigger. I can't figure out why someone would spend more money on a gun they just bought in order to make the gun less valuable (by removing the release feature).

If this BT-99 with a release trigger is not usable by your dad, why doesn't he just sell it and buy another one without a release trigger? He should come out money ahead by doing it that way.

EDIT: If this is a drop-out (removable) trigger unit, then just sell the release trigger and replace it with a pull trigger which should cost less.

Easystreet

9. grntitan

"If this is a drop-out (removable) trigger unit, then just sell the release trigger and replace it with a pull trigger which should cost less."

There is no BT99's with drop out triggers.

10. Lead-Sprayer

Lead-Sprayer Member

Easystreet-He got a good buy on 99 plus from a local guy at the club, actually less than what they sell for with a pull trigger. Someone had mentioned he could have it convereted back for around $75.00. Not being familiar with releases, didn't know if there was an easy way to convert it back or swap it out with his other BT-99 trigger. Didn't have any expierence with Spears, was just looking for some input. Thanks for those who responded, he is calling Spears tomorrow. Thanks again.

11. BreakUmAll

BreakUmAll Member

I have a bt-99 plus and just bought a bt-99 with a spears release. Took about 15 minutes to change the trigger parts from one gun to the other.. If you need to convert the release back to pull, you'll need to replace the hammer, (if you are going to sell the release} the trigger, the trigger safety and the small spring under the trigger.. I would give $150.00 for the release parts (which would include the hammer, and the trigger with the catch pawl silver soddered to it.. This is the kind of spears release I Have and it is very smothe... any questions leave me a message here and give me your e-mail address.
    Larry S. from Indiana. Happy Shooting..

12. Doubles/Bob

Doubles/Bob TS Member

I thought Spears went out of business about a year ago? Bob Larsen

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

So the easiest fix would be to remove the RELEASE catch pawl on the trigger. The hammer would still be functionable then as a pull trigger, would it not? Removing the trigger to do so, would not be to complicated, for most people.

If you want to sell the release parts to gain some of the money, you may want to look and see what the cost of replacing those parts will cost (Hammer, Trigger, etc.). If it where me. I would remove the catch and keep it with the gun. Replacing those parts will more than likely cost you more then you could get for the release parts. Then you have to install them. Just a thought.

Unless you have the right tools, most mainsprings are a bear. BT-99's more so because of the sleeve. Jon

14. Lead-Sprayer

Lead-Sprayer Member

My Dad got the realease and parts out and it has been sold. Thanks for all who replied and for your help. Much appreciated. Sean

15. 20ga release

20ga release TS Member

I paid in good faith to have a release trigger built for my shotgun, but Darrell has not delivered it since ordering in October of 2011. He promised for weeks that it was shipping and after repeated conversations, the trigger never arrived. In our last conversation he said he would refund my money if he couldn't ship it that week. This was several weeks ago. I finally sent a certified letter demanding my money back, and he has never responded. He does not answer the phone or return my messages. His answering machines many times are both full. I wonder how many other shooters this has happened to?
    I have purchased at least 3 triggers over my shooting years from Spears Gun Shop without a hitch.
    What changed?
    How many of you have been taken by this man? I would like to hear from you. Maybe we can force him to return our monies and guns back that he hasn't delivered on yet. If not then give the information to the authorities (prosecutor/ATF) so no one else has to go thru this. And he advertises on his card he is a Christian. That really burns me being one.
    jwf0460@yahoo.com

16. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The sounds of it I wouldn't send a bb gun to spears. Not reliable at all.

17. grntitan

goose,

That's why I said what I said in my first post on this thread. Same thing happened to my buddy. He was just happy to get his gun back months later. Not a good way to run a business. A shame too after the name he had built for himself.

18. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up guys. I've had Darrell do several release triggers for me, but that was a few years ago. I suppose that the next one I have done, I'll look for someone else to do it.

19. grntitan

Thanks for clarifying that Jim. I really didn't know that. All I had ever heard was how great Spears triggers were. When my buddy wanted a release I told him about the Spears triggers and how everyone raved over them. He decided to take my advice and went with Spears. Well after months and months with no trigger and very little communication I looked like a real butthead to my buddy. We were just glad to get his gun back. Its a shame he ruined what the Spears name once stood for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
spear release triggers

spears gun shop release triggers

spears release trigger

spears release trigger browning bt 99
spears release trigger information

spears release triggers

spears trigger release
spears triggers