1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spears Gunshop Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20ga release, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20ga release

20ga release TS Member

I paid in good faith to have a release trigger built for my shotgun, but Darrell has not delivered it since ordering in October of 2011. He promised for weeks that it was shipping and after repeated conversations, the trigger never arrived. In our last conversation he said he would refund my money if he couldn't ship it that week. This was several weeks ago. I finally sent a certified letter demanding my money back, and he has never responded. He does not answer the phone or return my messages. His answering machines many times are both full. I wonder how many other shooters this has happened to?
    I have purchased at least 3 triggers over my shooting years from Spears Gun Shop without a hitch.
    What changed?
    How many of you have been taken by this man? I would like to hear from you. Maybe we can force him to return our monies and guns back that he hasn't delivered on yet. If not then give the information to the authorities (prosecutor/ATF) so no one else has to go thru this. And he advertises on his card he is a Christian. That really burns me being one.
    jwf0460@yahoo.com
    Jon

2. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Sorry to hear this. Darrell used to be one of the best in the business. I've had him do many triggers in the past. Always did a top notch job and usually under ten days. Some times he called to let me know the trigger was on the way back. You could always take his word to the bank.

BB

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Things seem to be a bit shaky with him out there. You're among more than a few!!

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I had him do a Model 12 release for me several years ago. I had the same problem. He wouldn't communicate and when I finally did get communications; he had a ton of excuses why he hadn't completed the trigger. The 3 weeks turnaround he promised turned into 3 months. I would never have him do anything for me again. JMHO. Ed

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Something must have changed. It's been a couple of years, but he's done several jobs for me and turn around was fast.

6. Jerry Tuten

Jerry Tuten TS Member

I just had the same problem with Gary Roman, must be something in the air.

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

A friend of mine had some work done there about a year back and it was an absolute nightmare!!! Same conversations...."2-3 weeks......"It's in the mail"......shipping it this week".....blah, blah ...blah!!! It took months AFTER he started calling!!! Like Olliedog said.....somethin' ain't right!!!!

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Spears from what I heard is a shadow of his former self--I consider myself lucky--I had quick turn around in the past. But as in all business's things change & the most recent Spears appears to be avoided.

Phil Berkowitz

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Very common story. Only the name of the gunshop/gunsmith changes.

10. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

I had him do four guns for me. Last one about a year and a half ago. Turn around time varied, two weeks to six weeks, but I was never in a rush anyway. When I called, after I thought sufficient time had past, he had an excuse. The feds were checking his records one time and he was having carpal tunnel surgery the other time. I have been satisfied with his work and he has been my go-to guy since my local gunsmith passed away. In light of the current status at Spears I'm not sure who I would use now. Thanks.

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

DING-DING-DING. shootlow just rung the bell!!

12. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

if you are in the midwest try Skeet's gunshop in Tahlequah, OK.

13. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I have used Spears in the past and always had good results and work was done in a timely fashion.

The last 2 triggers were done by Dean at Skeet's Gun Shop. The work was very good and return to me was very quick. Hate to hear about Darrell but, I will be using Skeet's in the future.

Jerry Walker

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I had a bottom release done by Darrell over a year ago and the return time was longer than expected but not too bad . Lots of communication by phone . Second one done by him and what I`m worrying about now is the warrantee ??

15. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Dont be concerned about warranty. The people who have already PAID are the ones with long wait times and excuses. A warranty issue he will likely jump right on and have it back to you in a day or two.

16. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i happen to call a person today in abbeyville ks-- he spoke with mr johnson in the last few days-- and was told, he had been gone for 2 1/2weeks for shot show and travel--no answer at the spears shop for me either--my friend has had a 682 in there for 3 months-

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If he stays in this business why would he do a free repair/warranty job when he is so behind in money making release work ? Not saying this trigger will fail me anytime soon but why should I have to pay another to correct my guaranteed trigger ?? I only heard of one member of my club having a slight releasing problem many years ago from Spears and Darrell fixed it in a week turnover . My factory Ljutic release has given me no problems in 15 years and I hope I can report this in another 15 years .

18. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

my friend and i have some good news-- left a message last week and today darrel called w/ appology--he has had some health issues and then took some time off to attend the shot show--he was willing to send back the gun he had for 3months or do the work in next 2 weeks--he was very nice on the phone and willing to make it right---we're happy and feel better about his business!--good luck to darrel-----wally riebesell & jack kruse northwest missouri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.