1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking of gun safes....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by neofight, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

... what's your take/experience with American made safes, vs the typical box store Chinese made safes? I don't have a large collection of guns, but may add a few as the years march on. I'm thinking weight is my friend, as is thick steel walls, a simple dial instead of electronics and bent steel frame, rather than welded.

Your comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. busstuf

busstuf Member

John: Safes are truly one of those many items that you can say "You get what you pay for!" If you do your research and have plenty of dough you will get a Graffunder. Otherwise, get a AMSEC. Good Luck in your search.
    TF

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A locksmith told me that a safe will stop a burglar ... BUT ... it will not stop a determined pro!

He said once you get above a sheet metal safe, they all will stop a burglar ...IF ... you lag bolt them to some studs through the wall.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Lag bolted to the wall just makes a bigger mess when they chain it and rip it out through the side of the house....just like an ATM.

5. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

The safe guys told me to call someone else when I moved. Had my safe put in the basement. Liberty 48 gun.

6. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

I bought a Liberty safe from my local Gander Mountain on sale around Christmas time, USA made, fire protection, dial, for about $1200.00 delivered.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Get the biggest, heaviest safe you can afford. The cheap chain store safes can be opened with an axe.

8. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I like the 10 gun storage on the door of my Browning Select. It makes accessing the guns I use most very easy. The internal lighting is nice too.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Let me put it this way. Do you like chinese probucts? Would you shoot a Chinese made trap gun? Would you drive a Chinese made car? I won't. I will buy an american safe because I value my things. Be cheap with your choice of safes and you will pay and dearly. Your choice.

10. metal1

metal1 TS Member

securing it to the floor as well as the wall and the biggest thing is to lock the door nomatter what safe you get jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.