1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers at ATA shoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkfin, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkfin

blkfin Member

Having trouble at a club that I really like shooting at,great guys,good targets. Call for a target and don,t get one. I'm not the only one this happens too and it seems to really mess up my concentration. Once in a while isn't too bad but 4-5 a round gets old. Have no trouble at other clubs and really don,t want to change call. Calling louder moves gun when calling.
    . Any ideas??????? Mike K.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was told the CVR(speakers) were set to throw and a certain note or sharp sound. When you call "PULL" that sharp first syllable throws the target. When shooters use a call that starts low and ends high(example-uuuUHH), you get a slow throw or delayed throw. Speak louder or change your call. ----Matt

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

We had Joel Osteen at our last shoot...good targets...lots of crying and hugging though.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If your club is using the Canterbury's with wires that maybe the the problem. Wires tend to break down at the connection due to flexing the wires short out. You can wiggle the wire and maybe make it work. Ive had to fix many wires at our club. Good fix is to buy better wire.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Are you saying the clubs CVR's need replaced ie. they are broke or your personal call is the problem?? If its their equipment, go to management with some other shooters and file a complaint(nicely) and see what can possibly be done to upgrade or fix the equipment. I may have originally misunderstood your thread.---Matt

6. blkfin

blkfin Member

Don't have trouble at other clubs and calling louder does not always help. Moving the speaker also has little affect. I don't think they are cantebery calls. We have wireless canteberry at our club and have no problems

7. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Grunt is correct. We had the same problem, wire replaced, problem fixed...Bill

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you take apart the connectors ... then cut off about an inch of wire ... then strip them back and reconnect odds are your problem will be solved.

The main part seldom gives any problem ... it is the ends that take all the stress.

9. blkfin

blkfin Member

I have paid dues to this club to show support but I am not a active member so it is hard to make suggestions. Hope they read this thread and get a few helpful hints. Some other shooters also have the same problem, They try changing batteries but it does not help.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Do the speakers work for most of the shooters but sometimes fail for just a few? If that is the situation, then the problem is with the shooters call. I have had that problem for years and I have changed my call from Aughhha to pull. It helps me when I can remember to do that.

Pat Ireland

11. blkfin

blkfin Member

Pat at a shoot with 40 + shooters probably 5-6 have problems and most have differant calls. It is hard to change your call at one club when you have no issues the others .Mike K.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- I agree with you, it is difficult to change your call but it does seem as if your call is the problem at that club. You only have a few options.

Pat Ireland

13. rooster59

rooster59 TS Member

We had Anthony Robbins, told us all to release the giant within, what a mess. Went from 23 avg to a 6. Next had Louisville coach Rick Pitino, tried to hear what he was saying over the constant gunfire, but he just started mumbling then horndoggin the female servers. Total waste of sixteen bucks. Did raise my 3-point shooting average to 29% though. Billy Mays and the Shamwow guy were on the short list for the next one, but I guess that didn't work out.

Don't get any speakers.

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

One thing that is worth a try is to move the mic position. I am a right handed shooter who is fat. I prefer the mic's be placed to the left front edge of the pad. However at one club where I shoot fairly often I needed to move the mic's to the right front edge of the pad so my chest didn't muffle my normal call volume and fail to release.

--- Chip King ---

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

Rooster,

What was Anthony Robbins' fee, if you don't mind me asking?

(We wanted Dysinger, but he won't travel outside Ohio).

buzzy

16. topgun

topgun TS Member

Mike,
    If your the only shooter having trouble with a given mic then obviously its your call or your volume or the mics position or some combination of all three. This would especially be true if only you have trouble on all the mics. If all are having trouble with the sensitivity of a given mike in my opinion the squad should stop shooting until the mic/cable is replaced or otherwise repaired by shoot management since for the money your spending you deserve a good target released on time. As the guys above suggested the cables can go intermittent, the connectors can be oxidized or not tight, the speakers (used as mics) can have a loose magnet plus many other things. When time permits the problem can usually be pinpointed by swapping the cable, the mike and the position of the connector on the controller. Many of these problems can be avoided by carefully wrapping the cable by starting at the mic end and coiling toward the free end so the twists can spin out.
    Pete

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

At times a speaker will go bad and show itself by late pulls. this is because your voice activates the speaker next to you instead of yours, and this takes a little time.

As said, a speaker problem shows up for everyone, and a shooter problem is confined to that individual.

Other units such as Outers etc are very inferior to the Canterbury in my experience.

The big plus is no one turns down angles any more, LOL.

HM

18. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Shrink wrapping the wires at the connector ends will provide strain relief and extend the life of the wires.

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

From personal experience of maintaining the wired CVR's at my club over the last 9 years and all the frustrations of shorted connections etc versus the ease and no problems with our 1 set of wireless CVR's we have decided to replace all our wired units with wireless.

So if anyone is looking for some used wired CVR's drop me a PM. I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area of Florida. We're asking $750 per set. Prefer pick up but will consider shipping.

Eric

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Erc Mixer, How many sets are you replacing? That's certainly a positive statement for the wireless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.