1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SPEAK ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rooferbob, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Wednseday morning a four year old girl died while riding her bike when she rode into a retension pond and drowned. This is sad. She was still alive when her father found her face down in the water,called 911, him or his wife could not understand the english speaking operator so they decided to take her to hospital where she was pronounced DOA!
    Maybe this will send a signal that we need to speak english to live here!
    Bad part is they will probably make it manditory for the operators to speak their tongue!
    Just my thoughts
    Rooferbob

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

That's crazy. The immigrants have more rights than the us citizens do!

3. shaner

shaner Member

yu got it ,, if yu wantto live here speak the lingo , its gettin harder an harder to be american , thanks for all the politics who wantto be bleeding hearts to them, mexican an asian both is getting thick here in ohio ,

4. Mac V

Mac V Guest

And by the same token, if you travel to most any country in Eastern or Western Europe and the Far East, you'll find that a majority of the people you encounter have gone out of their way to learn and use some English so they can communicate with the rapidly-increasing number of English speakers visiting their counties.

What makes Americans so damned pompous that they can think that everyone needs to learn their language and that they are above having to learn anyone elses?? The rest of the planet already knows better!

Mike

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My Sister in law was hired (in California) by a major store to answer the phone. She was retired from the Telco and looking for something to do.

Her married name happens to be Salazar.

When they found out she couldn't speak Spanish they fired her.

HM

6. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Jack, I've spent a lot of my life abroad, too. In fact, since 1964, I've literally lived outside the US more days than I've lived at home. But that's beside the point that you raised...

<blockquote>"This is after all, AMERICA, where the language is English. It should be a required language."

</blockquote>You're right that the language most people expect to hear in America is English, but it's not the official language.In Europe, 20 of the 25 counties have declared one official language each and the rest have declared several. That means that business, education, medicine and daily life will be conducted in that language. The US has no official language and it never did. So despite the fact that most of us speak English, we really have no right to demand it of others. You may not like that, it may be an inconvenience to you and it may step on the toes of your national pride, but that's the way it will be until someone changes it.

Mike

7. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I might be pompous but I still believe that if you live in America you should speak English! If these people who obviously rely on our method of emergency response would have understood the operator maybe their little girl would still be alive! Small price to pay for a big loss

8. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I might be pompous but I still believe that if you live in America you should speak English! If these people who obviously rely on our method of emergency response would have understood the operator maybe their little girl would still be alive! Small price to pay for a big loss!

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Then if they die because they can't speak the predominant language of the country they are residing I guess they stepped on their own toes.

10. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

So how's this..

Così indovino che è giusto da comunicare la presa ed i fucili da caccia qui in una voce differente ed in tutta saranno giusti con esso, uniforme voi possono capire?

ol 12

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, when I lived in Italy - though it was for a short time - I learned to speak enough italian to get by. Order in restaurants, shop, that sort of thing. And when the USAF sent me to Japan, I learned enough Japanese to get along - again, shopping, that sort of thing.

In no way was I fluent in either language, but the attempt was there on my part to get along.

I firmly believe that if you're going to live somplace YOU conform to THEM, not the other way around. I shouldn't HAVE to push 1 to continue in english. But if the phone says "push 2 for spanish, 3 for polish....7 for french...47 for mandarin chinese" that's ok by me.

We've made a 200 year history of helping folks assimilate to our culture. Lets not give that up now. But THEY should make the effort to learn the language if they live here

jeff

12. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, I live in Missouri and heard on the news the other night that the powers that be decided to not make English the official language of the state. John

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Mike said,

"You're right that the language most people expect to hear in America is English, but it's not the official language.In Europe, 20 of the 25 counties have declared one official language each and the rest have declared several. That means that business, education, medicine and daily life will be conducted in that language. The US has no official language and it never did. So despite the fact that most of us speak English, we really have no right to demand it of others. You may not like that, it may be an inconvenience to you and it may step on the toes of your national pride, but that's the way it will be until someone changes it."

If you want a good paying job with benefits, you NEED to be able to speak and understand ENGLISH. Yes it may not be official, but what language did the founding fathers speak?? (don't give me the PCBS about the Indians. If you look at it, they all spoke different languanges....did they get along with the different tribes, huh???)

Now think about this one...you are in the hospital and you need to be medicated or operated on quickly, you don't speak the majority language (spanish, chinese, italian, french etc.)what is the doctor or nurse to do; treat you with a drug you are allergic to??? We need to have an official language!! If you want to speak an additional language, fine. But why should everyone else bow to your demands?

14. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

When my grandfather came to america from denmark, not only did he have to learn english, the goverment changed his name from Nells, to Neil, he survived.

When my great grandmother ( fathers side), came from germany no one changed the restroom door signs to german, she to learned english. bottom line learn english, or GET TO H##L OUT!

Tom R.

15. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I must be on somebody's list. At least twice weekly I get a call from someone who wants to sell me something. Many times the person calling cannot speak fluent english. I will not ever buy from someone I cannot understand. Ed Nichols

16. bgf

bgf Active Member

I called the White House the other day...automated answering service said..."For English press 1, otherwise call back when you can!!!

Bernie

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

English may not be our official language,...but it is our native language...assimilate or vacate!!

18. BP348

BP348 Active Member

A Few years ago we had the "Victoria" incident where several illegal immigrants died in the back of a 18-wheeler.

After it happened the news reported that while trapped in the truck the aliens attempted to call 911. Well it just so happened that the 911 operator at the time was one of the few who didn't speak Spanish.

It didn't take long for the city of Kingsville to fire that operator.

If I remember right a few years ago I read an article about how the P.D. in Miami, FL had officers who didn't speak English. Something about the department not being able to discrimanate against them because they didn't speak English. Of course it worked the other way as well they were forced to hire officers who didn't speak spanish.

Of the two I think the officers who didn't speak spanish had the harder time. Only place I've ever been where they have signs in the windows that say "We Speak English".

19. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"English may not be our official language,...but it is our native language...assimilate or vacate!!"</blockquote>

Unless you are a full-blooded member of one of the 1200 or so indigenous tribes and nations that occupied North America during the first half of the last millennium, your "native" language is probably still being spoken somewhere in Europe or Asia. Don't forget that.

Mike

20. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Well spoken Jeffp!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.