1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Calgary Guy, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calgary Guy

Calgary Guy TS Member

Ok, I don’t get what the big deal is in moving locations.
    Now remember I have never been to the "Grand" nor had I ever even heard of it before last summer.
    This is the way I see it. Your last place was to small. The new place is huge.
    Driving time is irrelevant because it is now closer to some and farther away for others.
    Can someone please explain the big difference to me?
    BTW I also have a goal of getting to Sparta by 2008. Just got to keep shooting better

Thanks
    Calgary Guy

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hey C.G.....you just re-opened a can of worms....

The responses should be great reading.....the mentality is beautiful....

I'm still mad at the ATA for not building the shooting complex within a 1/2 hr. drive from me.....total thoughtlessness on their part.....

Have a good time....

Curt - Delaware

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I still think it shoulda gone to Vegas...easy to get to for ME!!...THERE...that should draw some hate mail!!!

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Been shooting for 18 years, mostly Skeet been to the World Shoot in both Savanah and San Antonio. The basic problem with the game of clay target shooting is that the dominate age of those shooting the game is about 50 years old. From my experaince those persons in that age group do not like change. This also gives him mostly the oportunity to BI%^&CH MOAN, and COMPLAIN about how horrible the world is and that Trap is dominated by sandbaggers or the State of IL is the most anti-gun place in the known free world. Bottom line most of them need to get a life.

When I shoot Skeet/Sporting/Trap/Doves I do so to relax, I enjoy to compete but at the end of the day this is a game and nothing more.

Ronbo

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jamie, the basic reason for the move was that the ATA was more or less kicked out of Vandalia by the airport. I'm still hoping for a little decent weather around here to start shooting again cuz it is pouring rain on the Fernie ski hill.

6. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

calgary guy. the complex at sparta is a very very GREAT place.

the only thing wrong you will find at the complex is, the allow them nasty ass fowl smelling bad nature arrogant , think they is better than anyone else Yankees.. now me by refering to Yankees, i mean any one liveing in the orriginal states that started the Great War Of NORTHERN AGGRESSION. if you can avoid them nasty fowl mouth, unpleasant smelling yankees, youll have a ball and love the place.

7. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Drunk_again, you just went up 2 yes 2 notches on what I think of you. Good post. As for Sparta, the ATA rammed it down our the members throats. It is in a anti-gun state that will one day pull or yank the rug out from under us. The shoot should be in a gun friendly state. They could have put the Grand more in the center of the USA. Say Kansas, Neb, Missouri, You all get what I mean. To me being in Ill is like taking the Grand and putting it in Washington DC.

8. CIM

CIM TS Member

Nobody else even made a decent proposal that the ATA could afford.Basically we have a facility that we have very little invested in.Like about Zero!If you like Gun Control laws you will see that the State of Ohio's are even worse than Illonois.

If we get kicked out eventually we will still have our $$$$ in the bank that is drawing interest daily plus we have money invested in sevral different areas.

We decided several years ago that Sparta would be the future for The ATA and we as members need to support it the best we can.How do you think all this negative talk over the last 4 years makes IDNR feel plus the people in the Sparta area that are some of the nicest people you will meet anywhere in the USA!

IF you cant support it I believe that its time for you to just Zip the lip man.It is a Great facility that I will continue to go to as long as I am able.

Thanks,
    CIM

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

With all the $$$$ in the bank I'm kind of guessing that people think the ATA should have there own place instead of being like a red headed step child dependent on others.

Just a thought to think about.

10. ljutic73

Mike...I wish there was still a decent place to shoot around here...although with the west wind blowin' at 80K right now...it would be a challenge!!

Ron

11. miketmx

Ron, Mossleigh is the place to be on Sunday. I think it is 25 Singles, 25 Sliding Handicap and 25 Skeet along with food and camraderie and who cares about the weather.

12. miketmx

Shawn, I have not heard anything about Mossleigh not being a go for Sunday, maybe AJ knows for sure or a phone call to Allan G.

13. miketmx

Hairy, I'm from Minnysoda originally but it ain't windy there compared to Southern Alberta. We get white caps on the toilet bowls.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

You have indoor plumbing in Alberta or are you know putting toilets in the outhouses?

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

cim

I like you, you are funny.

Rock

Jim

16. CIM

CIM TS Member

Rock,
    Im dead serious!Where else could the ATA gone?We didn't have enough money to build a facility 40% of that size.Nobody else would build it.Sure plenty of offers to give land but it takes millions to build a facility like that.

I would have rather owned also but we had zero choices.

CIM

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

There are always choices for those who are prepared. This was not an overnight get out of Ohio situation.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

lumper - In retrospect, one could conclude that we were not prepared as well as we should have been. That criticism can also be made for just about anything that has ever been done by man.

We have moved. What would you suggest that we now do to make things better?

Pat Ireland

19. ljutic73

hairy...nice to see we're not alone with the wind!!...and Mike and Shawn, as for Mossleigh, AJ hasn't said it wasn't a go...hope to be there but circumstances beyond my control may mitigate against me...hope not though...I wanna burn some powder and bust some clays!!

Ron

20. CIM

CIM TS Member

I have shot all over the USA and Sparta is truly The King of Trap Shooting Facilities.Spacious and not crowded with more parking than you could ever use.It might not be perfect but its pretty close to being there.

I would not have leased a camping spot for 10yrs if I didnt love it.All anybody needs to do is just give it a chance.Be open minded and just go one-time.

CIM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.