1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Sparta Walmart & shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doughboy, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Does anyone out there know if the Walmart in Sparta ran out of shells for sale last year? My timing is getting down to the wire and don't know if I'll have time to bring enough shells with me.

thanks,

Kurt

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

No they didn't, and if they have the amount of shells out they had last year I highly doubt they will sell out again this year either. For what its worth, the Shell House at the Grand will have plenty of shells as well and the price difference is not that great between them and Wal Mart.

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Active Member

Shells at the Complex have shells at a competitive price, they appreciate the support.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. frostyman

frostyman Member

I agree. Both places have an extremely large amount of shells. In some cases they may run out of one load (say light 8's in Remington STS) but they will have others. There may be a 2 or 3 dollar a flat difference is all between the shell house and wal-mart. The price at both places are probably cheaper than most. Case prices for AA's, STS, Federal will all be around $70. Other shells like Gun Clubs, Rio's, Estates will all be in the $50's.

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Last year I checked out the Shell House the first day. Wrote down prices. That evening I went to the local Wal-Mart. Prices on the shells I wanted were exactly the same as the Shell House! I went back the next morning and bought my shells at the Shell House. Very friendly and nice. Took my shells to my truck. Next morning I got a call from them that I had won a case of shells! This year my business will go to the Shell house! Jack

6. Donm

Donm Member

Jack it depends on what kind of shells you wanted. Some were around $4 difference. I like doing business with people that support shooters too but if it is going to cost me $20-$25 more for my shells for the week I will go for the savings.

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

I would choose to spend the 20 bucks on shells at the Grand because you get shells with the Grand logo and year on them. I still have a few flats of STS with the 2006 grand logo on them. I didn't go but I thought they were cool and worth a little more than plain shells.

8. daddiooo

daddiooo Well-Known Member

You need to support Gamaliel at the shell house. Shop your small dealers....Walmart doesn't need our business. (and doesn't care for that matter) The only time I ever shop at Walmart is when we're at Sparta....any other time I shop with smaller merchants.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If they didn't care why would they stock the amount of shells they do??

Don

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease......

Guy B.

11. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Active Member

I vote support Gamaliel's..!!! They support the shooters all year round .. Walmart only supports us when it puts fast cash in their pocket

I was in Walmart during the U.S. Open and the SCTP shoots in Sparta and they didn't have a single flat of Federal handicap loads on the shelf, and a very limited number of Remington.. Winchester seemed to be their big supply but the selection was limited.

Jerry B.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jerry,

Wal Mart had not received their order from Remington and Federal during those shoots. Can't stock what you haven't received yet. The ammo companies are famous for that stuff.

For what its worth, the Sporting Goods Manager at Sparta Wal Mart(Gary), is a very nice guy and indeed cares about the shooters. He personally orders all the shells and listens to the shooters on what they want. He has special ordered items for me that other Wal Marts would just turn you away with some lame excuse. They are supposed to have their Federal order in this week. That said, you should support Gamaliels every chance you get but take note that the Sparta Wal Mart Sporting Goods Manager gains nothing from making sure all the shelves are stocked with the shells the shooters prefer. He gets his same wage regardless of how many they sell but he still see's to it they are well stocked. There is alot of shooting going on at the WSRC year around. Its not just Trap, but Skeet, Sporting Clays etc. etc. Gamaliels does not have their shell house open like they do at the Grand for these other shoots. That is where the effort by Gary at Sparta Wal Mart helps. He is a super nice guy and will talk your head off if you let him. I'm not telling anyone to choose Wal Mart over Gamaliel. I'm only saying its nice to have choices. Sure Wal Mart is in it for the money but the real person behind the scenes of having shells we like is Gary at Sparta Wal Mart with nothing extra to gain. Just Say'n......

13. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

The gun club manager at a another club close to Sparta went to Sparta Wal-Mart yesterday to get his grand shells, they were limited on Federals but had plenty of others.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If WalMart don't have it you probably don't need it ... Get some grubb at Gamaliels, oh wait they only stock stuff to take the shooters bucks not feed them and keep them hydrated ... Go park in Gamaliels parking lot and see what they tell you ... Thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

If WalMart has it, I probably don't want it. It's been 15 years since I was in a WalMart and hopefully at least 15 more before I go in another. I shop the Mom and Pops as much as I can.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Big Bad Bob,

Sadly but surely the Mom and Pop stores are fading away and the next generation are not interested in anything but progress ... You will find one day in the near future that you only have the big guys to shop and deal with because of the buying power and their prices ... WalMart got started by a man who was Mom and Pop all the way, never in Sam Waltons wildest dreams would he of ever thought that WalMart would end up being the Largest retailer in the world providing jobs for hundreds of thousands of people ... I see people coming out of WalMart and or Sam's Club all the time who say they will never shop in these establishments, but it beats the hell out of not eating at all or being able to afford their medications at other stores ... The facts show that for every one person such as yourself there are many, many thousands that shop the WalMarts, Costco's, and Sam's clubs locations all over the place ... Sooner or later if WalMart don't have it you won't need it ... Thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Active Member

Matt,

Just saying.. exactly my point. When I wanted and needed shells, they didn't have any on the shelf. Just because he orders a boat load for a 2 week period does not make him all that interested in the shooters.. he's just smart enough to take advantage of what comes at him.

Bill,

How much WM stock you sitting on now.. ?? LOL Ol Sam is spinning in his grave over what the kids have done to his dream and desire. He pushed and promised "American Made"... not the crap they supply us today.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jerry,

Unfortunately, WalMart is now selling what the consumer demanded not what Ol" Sam Walton wanted ... Progress, sometimes it ain't all that good but its still progress ... Think "Supply and Demand", there you have it ... Thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Member

WPT

I beg to differ that Sam Walton did not dream ahead. I remember when the town about 10 miles down the road from where I grew up got a WalMart way back in the mid 70's. Sam Walton was still alive and actually came to the Grand opening. I remeber him standing mup on the bed of a truck in his bib overalls and saying, "Someday, there will be no one in the United states that will be more than 30 miles away from one of my stores."

I saw whayt it did to the town it went in and I saw whay it did to the town 10 miles away that I lived in. Until I have no choice to go to but WalMart, I'll be damned if I will patronize one.

20. daddiooo

daddiooo Well-Known Member

WPT,

Last time I checked Gamaliel was a SHOOTING SUPPLY not a grocery store. The fact that they don't sell "stuff to feed you and keep you hydrated" is not a problem for anyone but you apparently. How many trap guns does Walmart keep in stock over there? What isle are the snap caps on? Can you direct me to the toe pads please? I really need a new Americase....where do they keep those?

If I were you I'd trot right on over to "Made in Chinamart" and git your cheese
    crackers and gatorade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.