1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta Walmart, price of premium shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by daddiooo, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anyone know what the Sparta Walmarts prices are for premium shells? Trying to decide whether to buy them there for the US Open and Grand or haul shells up there.

Thanks in advance for the info.

2. RLC323

RLC323 Member

In the past WalMart has had a bit cheaper price than the vendor on the grounds, Gamaliels. That said, the second year at Sparta I got involved in a shoot-off and ran out of shells. Gamaliel's shellhouse was open and had all brands and loads available. Since then I believe it is worth spending a couple extra bucks a flat for having them on the grounds.

Besides that WalMart is typically a pain, you have to pay for shells way back at the sporting goods counter, usually nobody on duty, hunt someone up, wait a minute they are not 18 and can not check you out, find someone else...on and on.

Bottom line: WalMart's people aren't shooters, Gamaliel's are.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To answer your question, the last time i was out there Winchester AA's Remington STS's as well as Nitro's were all $70.00 a flat. They had Winchester Super Targets for $59.50 i believe but those are not exactly premium shells. I may go out there later today and if i do i will update my answer.----Matt

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Daddiooo just a suggestion you understand but you could call them and ask.

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #222, 1410 N Market St, Sparta, IL 62286 (618) 443-5800

Just ask for the sporting department and ask for the department manager explain your question his answer may save you having to haul your ammo yourself.

BTW there are five more Wal-Marts within 30 miles of Sparta on Wal-Marts website just enter the zip code in the address in the store finder it tells all

Bob Lawless

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I was at the Sparta Walmart last Friday 7/3/09 & AA, STS & Nitro 27 were all &70.00 a flat. Don't forget the $20.00 per flat mail in rebates apply on thee shells making the cheapies not so cheap after all. They have not received their shells for the Grand as of yet. No Federal papers & Gold Medals out yet. Colonel

6. grntitan

On the grounds you were not required to show anything. At least i didn't anyway.---Matt

7. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Just another two cents....Gamaliels supports a big sporting or skeet event and I have never seen Walmart do anything but take your money and send it to China.

When I find that I have burned more in practice and shootoffs I buy shells at the Grand from Gamaliels. The past years they have had a drawing for a bunch of shells for some lucky customer. Never see that at walmart.

See you at the Grand...30 days and counting.
    CA

8. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

u just have 2 show ur id u dont have 2 show anything else if ur out of state. its easy 2 c how alot of crap gets started !

9. grntitan

TOP SINGLE DT10----Oh God forbid you had to reach in your pocket by yourself and pull both of those ID's out. That must have been really tramatic for you. I hope this has not mentally scarred you forever. You must have been terrified. Big stink'n deal dude. I swear, the things that just totally are small that people make huge.----Matt

10. markc2

markc2 Member

Clay Addict has an outstanding point! Walmart is there soley to take your money and send a very large portion of it to China. They do not provide any service or support the shoot in any way. Gamaliel supports not only The Grand, but many other shoots as well. All of this is at a very large expense to Gamaliel, yet they continue to support the sport and these shoots, and I can assure you that they don't send the money to China. I'll give my money to Gamaliel at The Grand.

Mark

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Buy from those who support us.

12. ivanhoe

markc2, Clay Addict and other that seem to love to Bash Wal-Mart got to the web address I have provided to a website with some enlightening facts about Wal-Mart and how the Co. affect your state and every state.

I will grant you that they are huge supporters of the shooting sports. Then again the sale of Guns and ammo do not make up a big portion of there sale (one of the reasons that guns and ammo are not sold in every Wal-Mart store as they were in the past. Which can in part be attributed the attitude that most gun and ammo buyer display as you gentlemen have so aptly demonstrated by you comments.

Now I don't much care what your thoughts on Wal-Mart are or how you express them. I just feel that Wal-Mart deserved equal time, in a sense of fair play of course.

BTW I am sure that Gamaliel is a very good company and I have done business with them on numerous occasions and I very well may do so in the future. However if there were another 25 Gamaliel's they wouldn't give back to the states that they are in a drop in the bucket compared to that huge supporter of China Wal-Mart.

Bob Lawless

13. grntitan

TS---I did misunderstand your intentions and i apologize for my smart a#* remarks. It is Illinois law that you have a FOID card like it or not(i don't mind it that much) but it is the law. For out of staters it is a culture shock for them but i fail to see why some make it such a big deal to have to show their ATA card and a state ID instead of a FOID card. They amended the law to allow out-of-staters to buy shells in our state. Personally i reload but when i have bought shells at the Grand i have bought mine at Gamaliel to support a small buisness instead of the big buisness giant. Once again i apologize for over reacting before reading the whole thread. -----Matt

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just another bit of information about Walmart in Illinois. They require the sales person to have a FOID card. Also make sure your purchase is EXACTLY what you want. All ammo sales are final-look at your sales slip.

15. markc2

markc2 Member

In a sense of fair play, of course, I will still spend my money at Gamaliel, as I know that they support the shooting sports, and they are educated and will work hard to provide service, even after the sale. I know this from experience, as I also know from experience that service is not in Walmart's vocabulary. I'm not bashing Walmart, as they serve their purpose. I just prefer to spend my dollars with companies that support the shooting sports.

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Gamaliels is not totally innocent. One year at the Grand in Vandalia they imported some "labor" from Brazil. When that salesgal went out for a walk on her break, the "strip" would come to a standstill. The entire wagon full of shooters would stop talking and just stare. Wish they'd bring her to Sparta, but surely she was snapped up a long time ago. Gamaliels are good people. My shooting buddy would go in there stand and buy stuff just to here the salegal drawl.

17. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I just checked out exactly what WalMart does for Illinois in the state by state link. The average WalMart hourly wage in Illinois is $11.74 so if you worked for WalMart fulltime and was married with one child you would be eligible for food stamps, a state paid medical card, reduced price school lunches, and state supported child day care, all courtesy of the taxpayers.

Thanks WalMart you are such a good neighbor.

18. nords

nords Member

daddiooo sounds like you better bring them from Ga or buy them from Gamaliel's. It would be like supporting Ob & Dem vs Rep

19. ivanhoe

RLC323 I guess you think Illinois tax payers would be better off putting those 52,938 employees on the welfare blotter instead.

Interestingly enough Wal-Mart supports 166,749 supplier jobs in the state of Illinois. Now don't forget those lousy China, supporters didn't do their part after all Wal-Mart paid more than $103.2 million in state and local taxes in the state of Illinois.

Not to mention all of those thing like Cash and all the donations included under Community Involvement.

Ya but you figure they don't pay a lot your right but then retail is notorious for it low paid status. You need to keep reading don't just stop at the first part of the facts that you don't like

Bob Lawless

20. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Actually, the Sparta Walmart does co-sponsor many of the shooting events at the WSRC. I believe they also were one of the many co-sponsors at the grand last year. This is not to say I don't believe in supporting Gamaliel's because I do. Both the Sparta Walmart & Gamaliel's have got into my wallet last year for many hundreds of dollars & will again. Already bought Downrange wads from Gamaliel's at the Open. It's all good, Colonel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

walwartspartail