1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta vs Marengo...&.... Krieghoff vs Kolar

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I just don't get it. While I admit I am kind of new and do not have 40 years of shooting trap under my belt, I still didn't fall off the proverbial turnip truck last night. And I think I am a reasonably educated and fair type of guy. But for some reason, I just don't get it.

Maybe it is long term exposure to lead. Or perhaps it is the deafness that comes from the report of firearms year after year. More likely it is the orneriness of age rearing its ugly head. But what ever it is, I still don't get it.

One would think that the average age of guys posting on this site has to be up there with the average age of guys we see on the shooting line. Let's face it, there sure is a lot of gray hair at every shoot I have been to, myself included. And the general consensus has always been that with age we become wiser. This being said, I still don't get it.

I guess I missed the heyday. Guys at the club where I shoot tell me that in past years it was hard to get a parking spot on any given Friday night. They tell me there were easily a hundred and fifty shooters for the games. Now days the most I have seen in the Friday night Calcutta has been around thirty. The seasoned vets tell me the numbers regarding trap shooters are way down. I wouldn't know, I just started last October. But one thing I know for certain is I just don't get it.

What I don't get is the way some of you guys argue here on this site. I get the feeling that many here would argue about a free turkey dinner. Why on Gods green earth would anyone argue about Sparta and Marengo? Shouldn't we as trap shooters be absolutely thrilled to have both? Wouldn't it really be great if there were a third shooting facility to throw into these discussions? Why would anyone create such a fuss over the attributes of one facility versus the other? Kolar or Krieghoff? Who cares! Isn't it great to have so many brands to choose from?

Yep, I just don't get it. But heck, I am new. Maybe in twenty years
    I will get it. I still have so much to learn about this sport. Maybe in twenty years I will join the fray and hurl insults at my fellow shooters here. Maybe I will be intolerant of any opinions that are not aligned with mine. Why I just might even tell one of my peers how stupid they are and that their lack of knowledge regarding this sport could fill an ocean.

Until then, I will read some threads and just shake my head, because, well, you know........I just don't get it.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's commonly referred to as "Pen*s Envy" in the medical field.

Some people never age mentally.

Curt

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Krieghoff is nothing more than an overpriced Remington 3200 with pressed engraving. Lol

4. old folks

old folks TS Member

Sparta vs Marengo...&.... Krieghoff vs Koler

I don't get it either. I have been shooting targets for 55 years and can't see running down one club over another for these childish reasons old Folks

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Both clubs are outstanding.

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

There IS another trap shooting facility, and in ways, it's better than both Sparta and Maringo. It's at Elysburg, PA and it's being run by one of the best organizations in trap shooting.....the PSSA! Take a look on RJ Stewart and compare the number of shooters and classes/trophies awarded. Even a small (by some standards) shoot like the upcomming Westy Hogans has AAA class in Singles
    Here's last year's event #3

EVENT # 3 - SINGLES CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRIES 735

CHAMPION INVIDIATO MARC C BASKING RIDGE NJ 200

RUNNER UP SHADE LARRY M HAMBURG PA 200

CLASS AAA WINNER SUTPHIN GARY W BRYANTOWN MD 200

CLASS AAA RUNNER UP LATOCHA MICHAEL POMPEY NY 199

CLASS AAA 3RD PLACE HUBER STEVEN G ORWIGSBURG PA 199

CLASS AA WINNER MELITSKY JOHN D STEWARTSVILLE NJ 199

CLASS AA RUNNER UP OTT LESTER R WILLIAMSPORT PA 198

CLASS AA 3RD PLACE CASTELLANO ANTHONY STATEN ISLAND NY 198

CLASS A WINNER NYE JASON M READING PA 198

CLASS A RUNNER UP VANAMAN ROYCE C MAYSLANDING NJ 198

CLASS A 3RD PLACE KLIKUS TODD J BEACH LAKE PA 198

CLASS B WINNER NOLE DOMINICK J DUNMORE PA 199

CLASS B RUNNER UP KRAMER THOMAS G ASHLAND PA 199

CLASS B 3RD PLACE MASTRIANO GREG F N BRANFORD CT 198

CLASS C WINNER DIETRICH SR EDWARD HAMPSTEAD MD 197

CLASS C RUNNER UP INKS CASEY L WATERFORD PA 196

CLASS C 3RD PLACE STUTZ JOSEPH J KULPMONT PA 196

CLASS D WINNER RIBEIRO MANUEL J WILLISTOWN PARK NY 196

CLASS D RUNNER UP GRUMBLY WILLIAM D SUMMIT NY 192

CLASS D 3RD PLACE MERLINO CORKY GREENSBURG PA 190

SR. VETERAN WINNER MLYNARZ ROBERT F LAKE HOPATCONG NJ 199

SR. VETERAN RUNNER UP OHYE KAY N BRUNSWICK NJ 199

VETERAN WINNER BRIGHTBILL RAYMOND LEBANON PA 199

VETERAN RUNNER UP CRIADO PHILIP A FRANKLIN PA 199

SUB JUNIOR WINNER CLARKE JOSEPH A STOCKTON NJ 189

JUNIOR WINNER TODAK STEPHEN A MCCLELLANDTOWN PA 199

LADY WINNER VAN BLARGAN HENSEL NORTHAMPTON PA 198

LADY RUNNER UP HAMMOND CASSIE SHARPSBURG MD 197

LADY 3RD PLACE NATCHER DONNA R EBENSBURG PA 195

CHAIR SHOOTER HAMILTON RICHARD C FLEETWOOD PA 192

best. mike

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Hello doc,

I am happy that we have both and that goes for the shooting venues and the guns. However, the KX-6 is a let down to me. Other than that, no complaints.

John E.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

docbombay,
    I got a feeling after reading your posting that you just don't get it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Me too-- I wish we had MORE good places to shoot. Being a transplant from Iowa, there were a lot of small 2 and 4 trap clubs where you could shoot within 20 miles. Now living in Ga. and very few clubs around this area, I do belong to a club but the shooters around here mostly just shoot practice, not much games, we do have a few registered shoots but most of them are an hour or two drive, so consequently I just do most of my shooting at the club I belong to. Ross Puls

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

What we need is an independent analyst, pay him or her 80-100,000 to find out just what has happened over the past years.

Fat chance you say???, correct, but it sounds good doesn't it?

Think of it, the final word, no more bickering, just accept the results.

Could you get it then??

Regards....Gerald

11. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

Years ago I had a short exposure to bowling...the only sport I'm aware of with more grinchers and bad-mouthers than trap, and I love shooting trap. You have to learn the people to avoid, and that's sometimes hard to do on this forum. Recently, I stumbled on the shooting forum on Gunbroker.com; totally different attitude there, no insults or name calling, just folks trying to help fellow shooters, though the subjects are mostly other disciplines. People are hard to understand, especially when they get a keyboard in their hands, could be because they type better than they shoot.

12. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

A well know Industry shooter from Remington once joking said: Many trapshooters are the people that were picked last in gym class. jr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.