1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta...the good and the bad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by franklyn, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franklyn

franklyn TS Member

OK I've been to Vandalia for more than 30 years...I skipped Sparta for the first two years and went to the facility this year. I have some thoughts that I'd like to pass on. First and most importantly are the vendors and their exposure to the "customer" the shooters. The ATA is making a major mistake with the current layout with the "building" vendors to the left of the club house and the "tent" vendors to the right. It is by far one of the pleaures of the Grand to shop the vendors many times during a shoot day, with the current setup it is a challenge to visit the vendors on both ends especially when the weather is hot 'n humid. It creates a real hardship for shooters to visit both ends of the vendors especailly if your are older (which many shooters are). The solution as I see it is to replace the tent vendors right behind the "building" vendors making it more like the shopping mall it was at vandalia. The building vendors are hurting as well, as they don't get a fair represention of the shooters because there are so many traps located to the right side of the club house, all well and good for the tent vendors but a real bummer for the "building" vendors. I also think the food consession at the club house is open far to few hours..I guess it's no big deal but you can't get a coffee or anyting else till it opens up which is too late in my opinion. THE GOOD. What a great facility, to be able to drive to your trap is the greatest change you can imagine. Overall it is a spectacular facility, well run and a superior shooting experience. Another BAD..the cashier and squadding boths should not be in front of each other...when the lines are long it creats a great deal of line confusion (which line are you in?) and blocks the front doors. The solution is also simple as I see it..just replace the cashiering booth at the location where the handicaping booths are. Other than that all I gotta say is you gotta go to the NEW GRAND at Sparta you won't be dissapointed.

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I didn't read complaint in the information?

FRedmon

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

r44u77- Please explain why you feel franklyn's impressions are not valid? If you feel he is way off base defend YOUR premise.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Actually, very good points based on my same experiences the first two years there...
    Stood in the wrong line for 30 minutes last year. my own fault, but, it wasn't easily clear....

A Vendor Mall, now that's interesting....

5. Kent

Kent TS Member

franklyn has made an excellent suggestion about switching the squad line with the classification section. It would clear out the congestion at the front doors.

Unlike last year you could not squad yourself from the computer terminals located in the sheel house barn or the main lobby. Don't know why that changed, but shooters could drop squad positions from them.

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Outstanding facility..but the almost twelve hour drive I'm afraid will remove it from my list of "Must Go" places. I've seen it, I was very impressed..I really wish it was closer to home. I think the vendors are spread out a bit too much, a "mall" idea would probably be an improvement, Look out for golf carts..they are everywhere. Stayed at a motel about thirty miles away and they tell me that's pretty good as they go. Difficult to get directions even from the locals. Not enough facilities nearby, resturants, motels, evening entertainment yet unless you want to go to St Louis but then, who would invest to build them when they will get such limited usage. On the way home, I stopped by Vandalia for memories,,No trap fields or houses, very few buildings left, but the lead reclaimers are hard at work on the fields. Even the hall of fame was locked up when we got there,I guess they all went to the Grand..

Big Jack

7. TN Larry

TN Larry TS Member

I agree with franklyn about the distance between the vendor "stores" (read permanent buildings) and the tent vendors. I was there only one day, and can't quite picture the area behind the permanent buildings, but if there is room there for the tent vendors, I think it would be a great "move"!

8. franklyn

franklyn TS Member

but wait there's more...one other thing that bothered me at the Grand are the speeds drivers (not all but many) go on the "frontage" road that connects you to the traps, vendors, camping areas and the main club house, it's posted at 25 MPH and it appears that not many go the speed and if you do (I did) some guy (or gal) behind you will climb right up to your bumper looking not at all happy about your decision to observe the posted speed limit. Ok that's it..overall the Grand is still one grand shoot.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If, after "been to Vandalia for more than 30 years", this is the worst problem(s), Sparta is a resounding success!

I like your idea about grouping the vendors all together. Makes sense to me.

When it comes to peoples driving habits, this wasn't much of a problem the first two years, but some people whined about "too many cops" and they thinned them out substantially. Think there could be a connection? A solution for everyone?

10. John55

John55 Active Member

I have attended the Sparta facility all three years it has held the Grand. Previously I attended the Grand in Ohio for about 20yrs, the last time in 2001. As the years went by it seemed more and more buildings were erected towards the west end, stretching out the vendor line for a long distance, IMO. If you started out down on the east end and went to the western end of them I'l bet that distance was every bit as far apart as the hard buildings to the tent area at Sparta. At least Sparta offers the folks a chance it get in their car and drive from one area to the other, so having them apart from each other really doesn't create a hardship on anyone. It seems to me the hard building vendors get as much foot traffic as the tent vendors, at least that is what I have observed. I know the ones I have spoken with seem to be satisfied. I agree the CEB could be arranged a bit better, and maybe someone will wake up and take note of the congestion the current layout invites when crowded. Overall it's a great facility, not necessarily perfect but no place is! it's miles better than Vandalia for the shooters and campers, and not bad at all for vendors and lookers.

11. franklyn

franklyn TS Member

skeet2day..while I understand your "cash talks" statement that gives vendors who have the financial horsepower the right to purchase the "prime" locations, it is a system that ultimately punishes the shooters and makes it very inconvenient for them to go from one vendor section to the other. Let those who can afford the buildings have them with the air condtioned rooms and sun protected walkways but what is wrong with locating the tent vendors who do not have those amenities in the same general area so the customers (the shooters) are not inconvenienced. Of course they can drive from one vendor area to the other but isn't that a little silly

12. franklyn

franklyn TS Member

Skeet2day..I don't buy it...that is to say the name of the game is trapshooting, it is all about trapshooters and making it a shooting and shopping experience when they come to the Grand. Splitting the vendors because one paid more than another suggesting those with deeper pockets should somhow be offered a degree of protection from the lesser tent businesses doesn't do it for me or shooters.. If asked I suspect all vendors would much prefer being together all in one place because they know more shooter shoppers would show up more often...you can liken it to small stores scattered around a town compared to a shopping mall.

13. franklyn

franklyn TS Member

Skeet2day...............I agree.............we disagree....regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is sparta a good or bad