1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SPARTA Shelters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

anyone at SPARTA... a question for you. Have they erected any shelters between fields?

2. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Lots more shelters this year.
    CA

3. Vickie

Vickie Member

They have the old wagons from Vandalia sitting behind most of the starting traps for shade. There are a few EZ ups, but don't know who they belong to.

Vickie

4. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

Just returned from the Grand today, yes there are some shelters along the west end in front of the vendor buildings,and near the skeet ranges. Just a few on the east end near the tent vendors.
    Hope this helps...Grant

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

You can always sit in your air conditioned car till time to shoot. At least that was what I was told on here a couple of years back.

This is the proper use of trams and the green things are trees.

Rock

Jim

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Rock, it was the opinion of the Dayton International Airport that we could no longer use their trees for shade. Complain to them.

Neil

7. mobear

mobear Member

And the trams were not used in what you state as "proper use"

They were overcrowded, used by non-shooters when they were for shooters only, and they weren't very good for people with bad backs, knees, and other ailments, and some of the drivers, for lack of a better term, sucked!

They are doing better work by being shade stations at sparta, than they ever did at vandalia.

8. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

L.O.L.

That was a good one Neil.

I bet them green things in ohio wasn't that big by the 3 or 4th year was they.

Hum wondered what they did the first 10 years I bet not as much as they are doing at sparta now.

I forgot the global warming thing is why it is hot now days im sure back in the early 1900's it was pretty cool in august.

By the way better watch out for the Game wardens in IL they are tuff.

Foghorn

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Neil.

I have and did. It did about as much good as the membership expressing their wishes to the ATA at a meeting on the moving of the Grand to IL a few years back. Both airport and ATA seamed to have had their minds made up.

What did the ATA call it? Oh yea "due diligence" Remember that one?

Some (quite a lot really) expressed their opinion to the Sparta delegation in the entry building at Vandalia also. They did pack up and leave, but, also came back the next year.

Rock

Jim

10. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

hill topper

I have for the most part. I still hold out hope and put a lot of faith in the IL congress to do their part and screw up a good thing in the name of protecting the IL public from "nasty evil guns"..

Rock

Jim

11. John55

John55 Active Member

I'm sorry, but I don't miss Vandalia one bit. Not the parking way out in the middle of nowhere, not the traffic getting into and out of the grounds, not the tram rides that took forever to get from one end of the place to the other. My car has a/c and I can park it right behind my trap bank. I can also drive it to whatever area of the shoot I care to go. I'll agree some nice big shade trees would be great, but for now I'll trade them for all of the other perks listed above. No place is perfect, but Sparta is closer to the perfect shooting facility than Vandalia ever was. Just my 2 cents.

12. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

John55
    You shot a 100 with that one. I agree! Sparta is a dream come true for our sport.
    CA

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Rock, The Citizens of the State of Illinois and the Peabody Coal Co. want to thank you for your input about how appreciative you are for the $53+million investment we made to promote the target shooting games. You act as though our sacrifice was an afront to all the other states that stepped up to the plate to build you a new place to continue the fine sport of trapshooting and our beloved Grand.

You should be ashamed of yourself. If you want more shade, plant a full size tree in Sparta and stand under it.

14. rwm12

rwm12 Member

East banks 22 and 23 had the wagons from Vandalia parked behind shooting fields. Nice breeze today sitting in the shade of the wagon canopies but hot on the firing line. Temperature was near 100 degrees when squad 266 shot the singles today.

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Barry C. Roach

You are right the best thing since sliced bread.

The state of IL only cares for the shooters. Thats why they built it because they care about us.

Want to buy a bridge???

Rock

Jim

16. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

If heat is a problem why not move everything up. Make the grand in September and start the new year for trap in October?

17. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

zarathrusta

Real slow just for you. It's about money not making shooters happy.

Rock

Jim

18. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Rock/Jim - How many grands did you attend in Vandalia? And did you attend the Grand in Sparta last year or plan to this year? I wal only able to attend 6 Grands in Vandalia, and we almost always shot on the West end. I did not see any trees there. Did see buildings, traffic etc. etc. Shot Sparta last year had great visability at almost ever bank. There is no comparison. Please
    Sparta has a much nicer locker room and adjacent buildings, better Vendor buildings and last but not least a great main building complete with up to date
    squad and cashiering. Plus lunch room, full dining room and a bar. All air conditioned. The only area for relaxation at Vandalia that was air conditioned with the EC quarters. And most of us were not welcome there.

Tomorrow go out to the old grounds, take you trap gun, and pretend to shoot 100 straight. Might just be the first and only one for you. And while you are there we will not have to read your dribble about the great facility in Vandalia. - Jim

19. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Jim Elliott

The last 23 Grands In Vandalia. And which Grand would you think was better? One you could afford and can attend or one that is out of your(mine anyway) humble means?

No I haven't set foot inside of IL in over two years. I did get to St. Louis last year but went by the way of KY by choice.

I do still visit the hall of fame.

And I never said it was great, just ours and was proud of it.

What facilities at Vandalia?

Sparta is just a place to shoot I'll pass. For some the Grand ain't so grand anymore.

prince_of_darkness

Never used a porta potty at the grand always used the indoor pluming. Some people like those things I guess it reminded them of home. LOL

And by the looks of things at Sparta they have quite a few more sweet smelling portable rooms than Ohio ever did.

Rock

Jim

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Your name should be 'rockhead'. Your choice to stay away from the Grand and drive around Illinois to get to St. Louis is just proof that you are as unreasonable as you alway sound. Why don't you try bowling. They throw rocks at the targets there. Right up your alley. By-the-way the bowling hall of fame is in St. Louis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.