1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Sparta....My views

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by over the hill, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Got back from the Grand late Tues. evening after a much to short two days.

My Son went with me and could only get a few days off.

After all the bickering from my fellow Ohio shooters about Sparta I had to see it for myself.

Results...I like it , like it a lot.

Great location, rural, yes, but ideal for such an immense facility.

Sparta...A nice small town with the some of the most friendly people I have ever met.

My wife was able to get a room at the Holiday Inn Express which was first class.

A little more pricey than what I would have got, but at such a late date I guess I was lucky.

Found some great restaurants with good food and very reasonable prices.

Unfriendly bunch of Gun Grabbing Liberals....another phrase I have heard.

I didn't find any in Southern Ill. Pretty conservative if you ask me.

Don't mention Springfield or Chicago politics unless your ready for an earful.

Facility run very efficient and golf carts had a path to go instead of near misses. One complaint...Squadding line were very long and super slow.

Parking was no problem.

Talked to a local Farmers that said he comes every year to enjoy the food and the people, imagine that,..... the people, he said.

So, My fellow Ohio shooters will probably call me Benedict Arnold buts that's OK. I tried it and I like it. Next year longer, Lord willing.

Regards....Gerald

2. Ross

Ross Active Member

Been to both, only about 25 or 30 miles difference for me. Each have (had) their own unique personalities. Maybe a slight preference for Sparta, only because it's newer--bigger--can drive right up to your bank--more camping space, things like that do make it easier for us in the senior vet category. Yes I do miss the nice BIG shade trees, and they did have people movers at Vandalia (sp). So for me it's still GRAND. Still meet the finest people at trapshoots. Ross Puls

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gerald--I'm glad you gave it a chance and most of all liked it. Thank you for your commments and compliments of the residents of Sparta. I hope you are able to make it back next year and many more years to come. As a resident of Sparta, we don't have anything against the people of Ohio. We just want everyone to have a good time at the Grand and then make it home safely again.

Cheers to you for giving us and the WSRC a chance.

Sincerly,

Matt

4. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Couldn't have said it better matt. I also have been to both grands and they were and are Grand. I hope to get to the Cardinal next year. I know it will be grand also.

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Matt:

It was a pleasure meeting you and the guys today. Hope you shot well. (I didn't). I love it here and couldn't imgine any better location to have the Grand American. Being a Midwesterner myself, I know how friendly locals are. And I also include those in Ohio and the great Cardinal Center. I encourage every trap shooter to come here at least once in their life. Shoot well.

blade819

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Active Member

Very well run shoot

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

why would you need people movers when you could almost drive right up to your bank? had lots of parking it worked great

8. PETER PERFECT

PETER PERFECT TS Member

smart man in ohio

9. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

My dad, 2 buddies and I shot the Grand for the first time this year: the shoot was well run we thought other than the squadding lines being pretty slow. The trap help we encountered were well trained and good to work w/, the scores we shot were our own fault LOL, and the facility is amazing! We'll be back next year for sure. I think I am going through peach ice cream withdrawl though.... Had a GREAT dinner at Tonys in Masquotah? (sp) as well. J. Terre

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The naysayers are oddly quiet.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Define Naysayers Please ...

Just because another persons opinion is not the same as other people does not make them a Naysayer ... Everyone is entitled to their opinion like it or not thats just the way it is, so get used to it ... It takes as many years or more to build something back up as it took to run it down, thats not a negative comment thats the facts based on opinion and experience which has already been covered ... Some people like to say something, anything even when they say nothing worth while and refer to others as Naysayers ... Its a good thing that the shoot is going well, but in reality there is a lot of room for improvement when compared to years gone by ... If you want to make a call at least make the call for what it really is ... If Mr and Mrs Bill Martin had not opened their check book and their Hearts and donated a bunch of money in a attempt to turn the thing around imagine what it would be like based on the diretion it was headed in before their Generous donations ... I call them as I see them and could care less who likes it or not, comments from certain people are meaningless but the people who make them know that or they should ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

William,

As gently as possible, <i>you</i> are one of the naysayers. I have not read one good word you have had to say about Illinois in general, and Sparta in specific, in several years.

I wish you would give it a chance; you might even have fun.

I did, and I did, and it was worth every penny in gas and other expenses that I spent to do so, and it's somewhat further for me, being in Los Angeles, than it is for my friend, the Arizona connection.

I'm not looking to stir up trouble here, William, I'm asking you to give it a chance....what say you?

You know, being from Illinois, (if I remember right) that SOUTHERN Ill. folks are NOTHING like the clowns from Cook County, and that they are the nicest people I have ever met.....so? why not?

John Malcolm, Los Angeles

13. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

It's nice to see that some shooters before they comment actually go to Sparta and see for themselves. Unlike a few who sit on their butts, and complain and bitch and have never been there, but still know everything about it. Just a bunch of blow holes with nothing more to do.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

John,

I sincerely appreciate what you are saying and have not seen anything that would change my way of thinking which was formed about the Grand being relocated to Sparta, Illinois prior to the WSRC being built ... I do not care for being manipulated and the entire membership was fed a bunch of BS while it was happening, it ended up there was no choice left and that usually implys desparation or trouble in one way or another ... I made the choice to not attend and support the Grand based on much more than its location ... The attendance was falling off prior to Extremely Generous Dontions made by the Martins to try and revive the ship that was sinking fast (look at the attendance records) and it appears that it has helped to the greater degree ... I call them like I see them if thats being a Naysayer so be it ... I have very definate opinions about a lot of things and they are not always good but seldom negative either ... The WSRC, ATA, or even Sparta itself are not the draw to bring people to Sparta, the promotion of it by a Benefactor is ... I lived and made up my mind that I would not die in Illinois, that was also my choice which is why I relocated to the Phoenix area ... I have been to Sparta (3 X's) and think its a neat little town but not the place for what once was the Biggest Trapshooting Championship shoot in the world only because of the lack of accomidations which turns some people away ... If I ever show up there it won't be with a gun, but just to drop in and see some friends ...
    I hope you shoot well and you have a great time ... Hell, I even made a friend in Sparta who frequents this site often, more like lives on and for it ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. hunter44

hunter44 Active Member

WPT, And how many times do you think you have to tell your story before everyone knows it by heart? Why can't you just keep your negative opinion of the Grand to yourself? Everyone knows what you think, why the need for you to repeat, repeat, repeat?

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Hunter44, Hint, You do not have to read anything I say, thats what I do when I see the your name at the top of the posting ... Got an Ignore Button, use it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

See what I mean John, theres a clown sitting at home on his computer making comments about people sitting home on their computer, waiting for a new car to be dropped off ...

17. hunter44

hunter44 Active Member

There must not be a difference in your mind between ignore & answer.....glad you found me! LOL! Keep up your tap dance sour bill, I just got back from the Grand, It was great!

Lots of posters have tried to give you the hint to let it rest but I know that you will just keep bashing the grand......that's fine you are welcome to your opinion as are the thousands of us who attend & enjoy the grand & like it just where it is.

See what I mean John, he thinks his opinion is the only one that counts.

18. missed some

missed some TS Member

amazing to me the people who think Vandalia started as it ended. It took quite awhile before there were motels close by, you don't think people slept in tents, or rented rooms from homeowners cause they couldn't afford a motel do you. And it doesn't matter whether you like it or not, the GRAND is in Sparta, and it is GRAND!!

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It seems that the Cardinal Center depends on "Generous Donations" more or less wouldn't you think? WPT you seem to like the Cardinal Center.

"To one who waits, all things reveal themselves so long as you have the courage not to deny in the darkness what you have seen in the light."
    — Coventry Patmore

20. missed some

missed some TS Member

doubt if he has shot there either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.