1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta my first visit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OLD ONE EYE, Aug 26, 2013.

1. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

On my way out west I stopped at the Grand seeing it for the first time was a joy. It is a wonderful facility complaining about this place makes me wonder what your club or state grounds must be like. I have not seen the Cardnal center but understand it is wonderful also. Having two such places to shoot should satisfy everyone. I do not understand the Hatfield/Mc Coy debate over the two places just pick what you like and support our sport. We are lucky to have both grounds the weather was excellent this year I know it can be very hot but weather is out of our control in August most places. I am in favor of changing the dates to later but that is just my feeling and I am not privy to other reasons so will leave it at that.

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Yes, about time we get over the move and embrace the fact that the complex in Sparta is magnificent! Martinpicker

3. IMGRV

IMGRV TS Member

Wow - finally a decent thread that makes sense! I can only make it to the Cardinal Center once a year from Canada for many reasons, so that's where I'll shoot. I am grateful that such a fine facility exists. You fellas got it right - shoot where you like and be happy that you have two great facilities to pick from. We don't have a choice like that here.

4. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

I "second" old one eye.

Joe McGorman

5. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have been to Sparta evry year since it has moved. I am still in search of my first trophy. The people are nice, the facility is great, and it is well run. My hat is off (in the shade of course since I am follicularly challenged) to ATA and Sparta for another great Grand.

Charlie

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The "objection", if one wishes to call it that, to Sparta is not about the facility itself. Most would concede that it is certainly world class. The problems are related to its relative remoteness. Hotel accomodations are not convenient nor are dining facilities. While the Sparta location is closer to some than Vandalia was, in my case and that of my friends from the northeast, it is twice as far as Ohio. That means a 20 hour drive instead of a 10 hour one.

The Cardinal is 8 hours. That has become our Grand for all the above reasons. Those who can make it to Sparta and are willing to endure the 30 to 45 minute drive to and from their hotel each day surely have a great place to shoot. The Grand is no less grand than it ever was but the ability and desire of many who formerly went to the Grand is greatly diminished by the above factors. I am sure that we will be replaced with others who thought that Vandalia was too far for them to drive.

7. TheoShooter

TheoShooter Active Member

I live a half hour from Sparta, so I don't understand the whining. No matter where it is, some people are close, some people are far. The complex is very impressive.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Who is whinning? Posting reasonable, well thought-out observations is NOT whinning. However, if the truth hurts, expect those who disagree to resort to false characterizations.