1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta Motels 30 miles away

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Checking out motels at this years grand. Most motels are 30 miles away. That should go over big with todays gas prices. Holiday inn at Sparta went from current rate of $90.00 per night to $271.00 per night during the Grand. RIPOFF

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This subject has been hashed out too many times before on here. I am from Sparta but i don't support anybody gouging Trap Shooters and for the most part Sparta does not either. If your look'n to start an arguement, your on the right track. If you really want to bitch call Holiday Inn. They are the ones that set that rate. Don't blame Sparta, the ATA or the maginficant WSRC. Do you have a motive or you just trying to start sh!t??

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

SMS -

Who/what is the source of your info regarding the $271 per night rate at the HI?

Scott

4. smsnyder

Scott, just punch up motel in Sparta during grand week. Holiday inn. Not blaming anyone. Holiday inn in Sparta is ripping people off. Look a motel prices week before and week after the grand. Should be a law against that.

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I did that, it is showing no rooms available. It's been that way for a long time. The HI in Sparta was doing rooms via a lottery system, it was $140 a night last year. That is high, but it's not close to $271.

Staying in Mascoutah, 30 miles away, means 600 miles of driving over 10 days. At 20 mpg that's 30 gallons of gas. If gas prices go up $1 that adds $30 to the overall price of the trip.

Scott

6. smsnyder

Scott you are correct. No prices now because they were busted.

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

This is not a cheap sport.. When my family and went to Sparta a couple years ago for the SCTP. Drove 1100 miles to get there and we stayed in Perryville Mo. Nice drive to Sparta. I AGREE we are getting gouged from every angle. Pissing and moaning will not make gas or hotels go down in price. Supply and Demand and Big Dogs control the price. If you go they get your money.. if you dont go they dont. No sporting events these days are a poor mans sport.

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I'm ging to drive approx. 250 miles to enjoy the grand. My hotel is 30 miles away. I am aware what the gas price may be. I sure as hell not going to bitch for needing to drive 30 miles when I drive 250 to get their.
    Hell I now peole that drive 500 miles to go to a friggen football game, pay 500 dollars for a seat out in the cold that last about 4 hrs. Pay 300 dollars for one night just to get up early to get home before going back to work the next morning. Man what do you want.

9. grntitan

Check Hotel prices in any city when they have big events going on. Take for instance the March Madness cities. You might be suprised to learn its common practice for big chain hotels. Is it right? No. Will they fill up at higher prices? You bet your a$$.

10. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

We went to the Grand in 2007 and stayed in Caseyville....a burb of Louisville on the IL side. Rooms were about $70. The drive didn't bother us since most of it was quiet country highway. I think I still have my room info if you would like it.

Darryl

11. smsnyder

Thank Darryl, Your a gentleman. Not sure were im staying yet.

12. grntitan

Darryl---Did you mean St. Louis? LOL

13. smsnyder

Last time i was at sparta my Tennis Shoes melted to the cement. LOL

14. grntitan

smsnyder & others---This is a small list of some Hotels in the Fairview Heights area. This area is about .45 minutes drive from the WSRC/Grand. It has alot of good resteurants and entertainment. Alot of the people stay in this area during the Grand. I do not have phone numbers but you should be able to get that and other info on the internet. Another area you may Google is O'Fallon, IL. It also has alot of Hotels and food joints and is in the same are as Fairview Heights a couple exists closer on I-64 in IL. Check link above for O'Fallon, IL Hotels.---Matt

Comfort Suites

137 Ludwig Drive

Fairview Heights, IL 62208

Drury Inn & Suites

12 Ludwig Drive

Fairfield Inn by Marriott

140 Ludwig Drive

Four Points Sheridan

319 Fountains Parkway

Hampton Inn

150 Ludwig Drive

Holiday Inn

313 Salem Place

Ramada Inn

6900 North Illinois

Super 8

45 Ludwig Drive

15. bigking

bigking Member

If you have to try to save money you need to stay home!!

16. grntitan

tracyhunter---That wasn't really worth the money you paid was it?? I know it wasn't much but don't you think you over paid?

People, DO NOT stay at the Sparta Motel.......Don't know why you say? Just watch for yourself. Heck may not be bad to some. Who knows......Form your own opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCe1HVetVKw

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

In an "sold out" motel, the online pricing might as well be a dollar. $271. or $1. it makes no difference. I doubt if anybody's paying that bigger number. Maybe some that have reservations will pipe up here.

18. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Mr Snyder,

$271.00 per night is over the top I agree, they will fill the rooms no mater what the charge, we are staying at Belleville some 60 miles drive daily.

After spending nearly 20 hours on a plane from Australia each year to attend the Grand another 30 odd mile to and from per day is neither here nor there to me. (Have been attending the Grand since 96).

My decision, my money just the same as those who chose to pay what ever the price for the convenience of staying in Sparta itself.

Free enterprise is what makes the world go around, does not make it right but it will never change, some years my trips were extremely expensive depending on the Aussie Dollar to the Green back, there again my decision, my money.

To all who attend the Grand good luck and good shooting, I made the decision 15 years ago to keep coming back until I won the Grand American Handicap or Die trying so far the latter is looking the most likely to happen.

Yours in sport...........Gary Kennerson. Sydney Australia.

19. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

my 2 cents , look into renting camper and spot on grounds vs. motel and gas prices

20. smsnyder

Who rents camper on the spot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.