1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta is again host of Grand American

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Sparta is again host of Grand American

Shooting events will run through Aug. 16

News-Democrat

More than 7,000 shooters and 10,000 visitors a day are expected to take part in the Amateur Trapshooting Association's 109th Grand American, which continues through Aug. 16 at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta.

Preliminary shooting events began Wednesday but the competition kicks into high gear Monday with the start of Grand Week. Grand Week features the final 13 events, including the main event, the Grand American Handicap, on Friday.

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources expects more than 7,000 shooters and tens of thousands of visitors to attend the 11-day competition. Admission is free to spectators.

"Every year I look forward to this exciting event returning to the World Shooting and Recreational Complex and Southwestern Illinois," said Sam Flood, acting director of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. "The ATA Grand American is a huge annual economic driver for Sparta and the entire region and we're glad to have everyone back."

This year's competition features newer events, including the Budweiser Handicap, which returns for the second year and includes more than $20,000 in added prize money as well as a special shoot-off for cash prizes. More than 1,700 awards will be presented at this year's Grand American.

The WSRC is state of-the-art 1,600-acre shooting facility which features 120 trap fields extending along a 3 1/2 mile shooting line. Public shooting opportunities (except during major shooting events) are available on trap fields nearest the WSRC Events Center and vendor mall for the convenience of recreational shooters.

Open trap shooting is available from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily at a cost of $5 for each 25-target round.

2. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

This eastern life member won't be going. Just can't seem to make the time like I could before when at Vandalia. Even that was a stretch, but I could usually make the last three days. Good luck to you guys and gals that can make it.

3. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

AJ100

4. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

It would be nice if the Grand could visit a different region of the Country each year. That way someone in Florida or in Washington could occasionally find it FAR closer to home than IL.

BUT I surely understand the need for dozens and dozens of traps and the parking/RV areas required to fill the needs of the thousands of shooters. Just wishing out loud I guess.

FN in MT

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

700 + to Odessa - 700 + to Sparta?

6 1/2 dozen to the other:)

FRedmon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.