1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta Improvements?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by old pipe, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

I'm curious about the improvements IDLNR was proposing to do. Has anyone notice
    any improvements,(lighting, cart roadways, shades at each trap and what ever)
    We want tobe prepared this year. Thankyou, Howard

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Well they don't have any money to put machines in the skeet houses so I would plan your trip as if things will be the same as last year.

Rock

Jim

3. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

I was there 2 weeks ago Saturday. The fields west of the event center are all lighted. They are digging on that end to install skeet houses. Didn't take the grand tour of the facility, but I hear it's moving along.
    Dan

4. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Pineapple and good old Rock - I would not worry about what they have not done for us, only appreciate what they have done. This facility is so mugh better than Vandalia it is not worth even discussing. If you do not have enough shade then simply stay in your air conditioned vehicle. This is the finest trap shootin facility in this country of any where it's size, bar none. Support it or just keep it to yourselves. - Jim

5. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I can guarentee that they have done at least as much in the past year at Sparta to address the shade issue as they did for the west banks in Vandalia for at least the last five years.

Scott

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

This place is not tooooo shabby either. Not as BIG but that can be a good thing as some have said.

I will say it again. The state of IL has ran out of money to even put machines in the skeet houses being built now. The skeetie assn is removing machines from other places so they can hold the skeet championships at Sparta. And then only (250?) shooters will be allowed to compete.

And I wonder how many BIG GUNS will shoot between the skeet houses. Naw that's for the peon class of shooter.LOL

I don't see how they can make too many improvements this year.

Rock

Jim

7. scott calhoun

Rock -

I see you included a picture of the new facility in Ohio. I haven't been there but hear it's nice and am hoping to get over there sometime (I'm one of those guys from Illinois who will travel to Ohio to shoot, unlike some in Ohio that won't travel to Illinois).

I'm having a hard time locating all the shade along the trap line in the picture, maybe you could post a larger version so it would be easier to see?

Scott

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I sent my money to Ohio for years now they have to spend their own. Really breaks my heart to hear they whine. Reminds me of my new puppy.

jim brown

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I didn't read where as pineapple was being negative about what he said maybe it was the part to be prepared for this year that some thought was negative.

I thought it was a honest question even I like to learn of any new things that has been done especially hope they get the wagon and golf cart road ways done as far as the shade I didn't think it was that bad last year because like Jim elliott said just sit in the aircondition car while you are right behind your bank to shoot I remember in Vadilia we had to ride the wagons because our cars was at least 1/2 mile or more away.

foghorn

10. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Thanks for the whats going on at Sparta. Last year the ground was bare and IDLNR said "we will have grass", and a paved cart way so no more dust going to the vendors. I felt sorry for them and the food vendors. I hope they will do
    some of the"needs". We really enjoyed the Grand opening last year, and I'm ready to do it again this year, by ready I mean flying 13 hours, then driving
    7 hours from Dayton to Sparta, are you fellas ready? I have only good things
    to say about Sparta, everyone that I've met is A-1 nice and willing to help
    or share in a minute. Please, everyone who visits Sparta put your findings on
    the web site, Thank you, pineapple

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Rock; Mr. Fishburn has a nice facility but what do you have?? You speak like you are the OSTA. The OSTA was in the same position as the ATA, no place to go and no Money to do it. Now you are both tenents in facilities owned by someone else yet you like to rip the ATA. Get over it, move forward or continue to whine and loose more respect from other shooters.

Don

12. scott calhoun

Pineapple -

Is Dayton the closest place you can fly to Sparta from the islands? St. Louis, Indianapolis, Kansas City, maybe even Nashville would be closer.

Scott

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pineapple ... are you military? It sounds like your from Hawaii but 13hour flight to Dayton sounds like slow MAC flights.

14. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Aloha shooters! I fly to Dayton to meet my partner who lives there, then we take his motorhome to Sparta, other wise he would have make the drive to Sparta by himself. We have a lease for the parking so its a yearly vacation now. We met some really good motorhome neighbors. Now I know what motorhome travel is about. I look forward for this event, I give a lot of credit to those who made this place what it is today. See you shooters at the Grand. pineapple

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

So much for having any sort of negative position whatsoever.....you get IMUS'ed on this site, first thing they say is, you weren't even there....blah blah blah, or they attack Dayton??? People ask questions, read the questions and dispute the facts, not the people.
    Slugger, I WAS there, the facility itself is a fine place, lots of fields, the main bldg is efficient.......but the place has absolutely NO charisma. Oh, no shade?? OK, I will go sit in my car in the A/C, yahhhh thats why I traveled 1500 miles, to sit in the car to stay cool. All the vendors crammed into a small dusty area.....fun. You really get to meet a lot of people from around the country driving back and forth from one bank to the next in your AC'd car.
    Shall we talk restaurants...yak puke....OK lets talk hotels....OK that didn't take long either. But hey it is the Grand and we have to like it. JUST MY OPINION
    Plenty of parking tho....

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

agreed that the infrastructure of the World Recreational Shooting Complex is great, it does NOT extend beyond the grounds however. Bigger is not ALWAYS better.

17. Newcomer

Newcomer TS Member

Rome wasn't built in a day people, nor was the old Grand facility in Vandalia. Give it some time they have only hosted one Grand. How many years did Ohio have to get it right? Or did they get it right? Obviously not..hehehe..

Matt

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Sparta is what it is and will be what it will be and when the state sees that it actually aint making the money they thought it would ... Sparta will be gone ... until then it will be like the pony ride guy at the county fair ... "Either shut up and ride the pony or shut up and leave, its your choice!"

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Another dumb remark from non-ATA lumper.

frank; Sure let's plant some 30' shade trees. If you were there then you would know not all the venders were on east side. Restaurants bad - you need to get out more.

Don

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

newcomer

Ohio was not in the trap business! It was started by trap shooters for trap shooters in Vandalia. The state was not in the picture. I like that also.

Now all IL has to do is fill it with IL shooters like Ohio did Vandalia and instant success. But don't think that is going to happen (my opinion) as there are not that many shooters in the 20 mile or so area around Sparta. A little more than 700 shooters from IL come on now.

Instead of giving Ohio shooters hell for not making a long ride. How about them IL shooters that stayed away in droves? Why not hold the IL state shoot there?? I bet the IL state shoot had more IL shooters than went to the Grand.

bigdon: let me know when I rip the ATA OK? The ATA did it's part and it met with a resounding 25 squads in it's last venture. And lost enough on the first one to cancel it. I do not blame the ATA so who does that leave???

And the Ohio state shoot home grounds has always been owned by someone else the ATA.

slugger: Nope not one dime was put up by Ohio government. Not boo hooing Just the facts. Let me know when they are wrong.

OK are they going to put in state machines in the skeet houses this year?? And why or why not? $$$$$$$$$$$$ they don't have. That is all I said to the question asked.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.