1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta complex improvements

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapwife, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo and I arrived yesterday in Sparta and I am very pleased and excited to see so many improvements. The boat docks are in place along with a nice parking area and restrooms at each dock (you can fish from the dock if you don't have a boat and you are allowed to fish from the bank, daylight to dark). They have put up a wonderful playground for the younger kids next to the shower house. SHADE shelters are being installed behind traps in front of the vendor buildings. You should see these things...they have a STURDY bench that is actually comfortable to sit on under a roof with gun racks on each end and a shelf along the back for bags, etc. We watched as the Dept of Corrections guys install one (prisoners did the welding, work, etc). The gun racks needed some adjustment and the DOC guys were very willing to listen to suggestions to make them work properly. More shelters will be put up as the money becomes available. Anyone can buy a shelter $5000 and have a large advertisement put on it for the next 8 years. The grounds are being mowed today and I'm glad to report that I haven't seen a dead tree yet in the campground. I don't think the state is considering folding up this project, since they are continuing to make improvements.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

It will no doubt take a lot for the State to pull the plug on the Sparta project with the amount of money they have already invested in it ... They had better hope the economy gets better for a lot of people or that could become a major problem in the future if it continues on a downword spiral ... I have talked to many who anticipate life changing eliminations to be able to afford to keep eating and feeding their family's ...

Can somebody say : Recession ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Trapwife, Thank you for the good news, This place is gaining momentum which
    is a good sign. I feel its worth the travel time of 10 hrs. air time to particpate in the Grand. I would like to thank the vendors that come from where ever to show their goods.
    Thank you again, pineapple

4. FLIP

FLIP Member

anybody got some photos of updates? need to get fired up for sparta.Thanks

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Karla - Thank you for your posting. It seems most only want to downgrade the
    Sparta facility. It is so far above Vandalia it is not a comparison at all. Maybe more shooters will try the facility. Personally after several trips to shoot Vandalia, with the lack of shooter facilities, it was a pleasure to shoot Sparta. Yes there are inconveniences with accomodations. But they are minor compared with the inconvenient facility we had to endure. - Jim

6. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

Karla,

I am thrilled to hear all of this.......wish we could be there, but since they moved the dates........doesn't make sense to come and then back home and down to MO. We would have otherwise......

hope all is well at the Open.

Lorna

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Great news but let us all not forget that it would not be the first time any government organization hasn't dumped 100'000's or millions of dollars into something only to drop it like an infected ... well signs for a longterm commitment look good and hopes and dreams are always nice to have.

Thanks for the update and have fun shooting in Sparta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.