1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta.. camper or motel??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Taking the family this august so my daughter can shoot there, should I go for the hour drive with a motel or buy a camper for my pickup and stay in it? Been thinking of getting one anyway and this might be the deal maker.. thanks!

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

bc, the very first Grand I went to in 1983 I used my trusty fishing camper (no air-conditioning needed in northern Minnesota) and survived one night; a second would surely have brought on heat stroke. A pickup camper is great, and I spent last weekend at Owatonna in mine, but you just have to have air at any Grand. You did at Vandalia; you do at Sparta. Otherwise they are too cramped for any circulation and you will parboil as will your temper.

Neil

3. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

blkcloud, great advice from Neil. We did hotels for two years at Vandalia and we also went the hotel route the first 2 years at Sparta. Since then we have used our 5th wheel and love being right there on property. Our two sons shoot and I know they enjoy being able to come back, relax, shower, watch tv. Lots of kids hang out together in the evenings.

Here are a few options for you if you can find a campsite at the complex. Look at a pull camper as this would provide space and AC. I think there are a few places around there that you can also rent a camper for the two weeks. That might be an option for you. That way you are right there at the complex.

The hotel option worked okay for us but being at the complex is so much nicer.

Hope this helps. We would be happy to answer any of your questions. Just let us know.
    Bud and Char Bartholow

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Bud and Char I had the pleasure of meeting your sons at the Montana state shoot last year and your boys are something to be proud of. I had many conversations with them and watched as the shoot the lights out full of life enjoyable young men you can be proud of. I have told many people about meeting them and their shooting skills.
    Buddy Walters from Florida/Idaho

5. porky

porky TS Member

The heat and heat index there is high and if you decide to go the camper route, you might want to rent one for the trip and experience the camper life before you get trapped in it. A camper is really nice because you get to stay on the grounds and are able to escape the heat between shoots as well as relax any time of day in privacy. Staying on the grounds is the only way to experience a shoot. But, as Neil says, "You gotta have air conditioning."

6. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

Couple of other things to keep in mind. Do you have a place to park the camper? An hour is a bit of a stretch. Many nice hotels between 30 and 45 minutes away. I have always stayed in Ofallon. Only 30 minutes drive.

7. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Old One Eye, Matt wants me to say "hello" to you. He is standing next to me and said that he really enjoyed the talks with you. He said you have some GREAT stories and he is anxious to hear more.

Thank you for the nice comments about each of them. They work hard to promote Trapshooting. We have been blessed with meeting so many wonderful people in this sport.

I hope to have the chance to meet you as well.

Bud and Matt Bartholow

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Plan on 45-50 minutes from O'Fallon to the Shooting Complex.

We stayed at the Extended Stay last year but have switched to the Drury Inn this year. O'Fallon is the closest city with decent hotels at a reasonable cost.

Camping is great if you have A/C. Many advantages but costly.

I am on the lookout for a used diesel 1 ton pickup and 5th wheel. New units are $90-100k - which is too rich for me. Then you have insurance, upkeep and storage costs - another $1500-2000 per year. Maybe 10 MPG instead of 18 with the SUV. It adds up fast.

Don Verna

9. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

You can stay at the state campground over at Rend lake also it's about an hour away very nice plus it also has a shooting range there!!!! We have and loved it Nice lake , resort with food on site also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.