Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

¿ Sparta: Buying a Gun from a Dealer

8K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  Cazadore 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I have (physically) purchased a (long) gun in another state ... rules change and some states (Illinois) are a little spooky abt gun sales, etc.

Say I was at Sparta and wanted to buy my first dedicated trap gun: H&R Trap, maybe, or a Mossberg 500 Trap with Simmons rib, perhaps at ... Guns Unlimited(?).

Can I plunk down my $228.32, fill out a 4473, throw the gun in my truck and turn back toward Dallas?

Or does it have to be shipped back to my FFL?

Bob

#3 ·
You can purchase a long gun in Illinois from a licensed dealer, fill out the 4473 and pick it up in 24 hours providing you are cleared through the IL State Police background check. Similar to the NICS check used by many other states. Just don't wait until Saturday to choose a gun .... the 24 hour wait will preclude any sales on the last day unless you want to ship to your dealer at home. Illinois sales tax is collected on the sales there.

Bob Schultz
Target Shotguns

#9 ·
Two years ago i bought a gun from Guns Unlimited at the Grand in Sparta and could not take possession of the shotgun. I am a Nevada resident and Nevada is on a short list of states that Illonios will not allow immediate possession of a fire arm. So a phone call to a Illonios dealer may be in order.

Matt Colman

#8 ·
Two years ago i bought a gun from Guns Unlimited at the Grand in Sparta and could not take possession of the shotgun. I am a Nevada resident and Nevada is on a short list of states that Illonios will not allow immediate possession of a fire arm. So a phone call to a Illonios dealer may be in order.

Matt Colman

#19 ·
Apparently it depends on state laws, as well as federal requirements. Two years ago as a Wisconsin resident, I purchased a shotgun from Joel Etchen Guns (home based in PA, but also licensed in Illinois) and left it with same day, after a NICs check. Other state residents may find different rules apply, such as waiting periods, etc as Wisconsin and Illinois have reciprocal agreements that applied (on long guns only, of course). Best bet is to call one of dealers that will be at the Grand and check what rules apply to your state if you are not an Illinois resident (or even if you are)

#18 ·
Apparently it depends on state laws, as well as federal requirements. Two years ago as a Wisconsin resident, I purchased a shotgun from Joel Etchen Guns (home based in PA, but also licensed in Illinois) and left it with same day, after a NICs check. Other state residents may find different rules apply, such as waiting periods, etc as Wisconsin and Illinois have reciprocal agreements that applied (on long guns only, of course). Best bet is to call one of dealers that will be at the Grand and check what rules apply to your state if you are not an Illinois resident (or even if you are)

#20 ·
Direct from the ATF!

A dealer can sell firearms at two types of locations

1. His business premises

2. A gun show or event in his home state

A dealer at an out of State gun show may only:

1. Display firearms

2. Take orders for firearms

a.These orders would have to be filled from the licensee's premises by

b. shipping the firearms to a dealer in the purchaser's home state.

That is the Federal law boys!!

#21 ·
Direct from the ATF!

A dealer can sell firearms at two types of locations

1. His business premises

2. A gun show or event in his home state

A dealer at an out of State gun show may only:

1. Display firearms

2. Take orders for firearms

a.These orders would have to be filled from the licensee's premises by

b. shipping the firearms to a dealer in the purchaser's home state.

That is the Federal law boys!!

#23 ·
oleolliedawg:

True perhaps but for purposes of this discussion, irrelevant. Firearms vendors at the Grand from states other than Illinois aren't, "dealer(s) at an out of State gun show".

sissy

PS to all... I'm with BIGDON. Why would anyone argue with a licenced dealer that actually knows whereof he speaks?

#22 ·
oleolliedawg:

True perhaps but for purposes of this discussion, irrelevant. Firearms vendors at the Grand from states other than Illinois aren't, "dealer(s) at an out of State gun show".

sissy

PS to all... I'm with BIGDON. Why would anyone argue with a licenced dealer that actually knows whereof he speaks?

#25 ·
luvtrapgun, look at any map and you'll see MI & IL meet in the middle of Lake Mich. Lake Mich is not international waters, half goes to IL the other to MI.
Try fishing in the western half of Lake Mich with a Mich license and you'll see what I mean. Do you think just because IL and Iowa are divided by the Mississippi that they aren't bordering states ???

#24 ·
luvtrapgun, look at any map and you'll see MI & IL meet in the middle of Lake Mich. Lake Mich is not international waters, half goes to IL the other to MI.
Try fishing in the western half of Lake Mich with a Mich license and you'll see what I mean. Do you think just because IL and Iowa are divided by the Mississippi that they aren't bordering states ???

#27 ·
I purchased a K-80 from Dawson Enterprises last year at the grand, paid for it, took possession and shot it that day. I pretty sure that Dawson's, Jaquas, Guns Unlimited, Hal Dupont, Silver Seitz, etc. have taken the proper steps to sell guns in Illinois. Since they make there living selling guns I'm sure they wouldn't risk loosing there FFL. I do remeber something about being a bordering state, I think you don't have to wait if you live in a bordering state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.