1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta bad banks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doughboy, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

To all the experienced......

Are there any bank sections you don't shoot due to background, uneven ground, bad traps? I've never been there and am looking for any advice.

Thank you,
    Kurt

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

No. There aren't any bad banks.

There is a farm house visible across CR18 at about bank 10 or 12 (I think, in that vicinity anyway.)

Banks 5 through 8 are in front of the tent vendors. That makes them a little difficult to monitor from the parking lot as to which squad is shooting.

Banks 1 through 4 are on the west end. Most of them are combination trap/skeet fields and are in front of the permanent building vendors. This is also where all the shoot offs are done.

3. illusion

illusion TS Member

None, but there's and authority who complains up north at there State Shoot about everything and whats funny he's shot there for 40 years but NOW everything has become a issue, he even complained about the broken targets on the ground if your shooting that slow and your bird is about to hit the ground you should hang it up. you could hang the targets on strings in front of his favorite tapestry and he complain, that's what happens to OLD trap shooters and thanks to the A.T.A. for giving long and mid yardage shooters a better chance at putting some more Wins in there war chest, that really even the playing field. Daaaaaaaaaa
    can't wait to see all the Hcp score from the grand and yardage that won,then the real crying going to start! I'll be there shooting from the yardage I earned not a reduced "give me another win please yardage".

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think he has the right screen name ILLUSION. Must be an Illinoisite.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The website I provided above has a map of the bank layouts. You have to click on the map to zoom in and drag the cursor to move down the trap line. It will give you a better idea of the layout. Below is an aerial view of the WSRC grounds(the foreground is the west line). As others have stated, there are no "bad banks", just preferred banks. I have shot nearly all areas of the Complex and I have my favorites but its only personal choice.
    grntitan_2009_2503326.jpg

6. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I like the banks with shade . LOL

7. Donm

Donm Active Member

Illusion. The targets on the ground are a problem when the target comes out not when it is coming down. It makes it difficult to see it come out of the house. Have you shot trap before?

8. running bear

running bear Member

Donm, YOu are not suppose to be looking at the ground.

Buck

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Doughboy:

V10 is spot on. There are no bad banks but the factors he mentioned may matter to you.

Here's another... Bank one is at the very bottom of the photo Grntitan posted. There is a grade change (going uphill) from bank one to about bank three. This isn't an issue unless someone has mobility issues. In that case getting from the parking lot to the line at bank two might require extra walking or dealing with a hill.

Don't forget the size of the place. Allow extra time if you are shooting on the far ends - particularly if you are using a cart.

Here's a story about preferences...

I like the far west end banks. They aren't "on the way" to anywhere so there is less traffic on the parking lots than anywhere else on the grounds. OTOH, I have a hoodlum associate that hates those banks. He shot poorly there once and has been convinced ever since that there's something 'wrong' with them. There is in fact "something wrong" with HIM, LOL.

sissy

10. Trapazoid

Trapazoid TS Member

If one would compare the background at Vandalia-jets leaving smoke-all the airport noise etc., to the new Sparta location, how could anyone say there is a bad bank? I can't, although, if I had to choose an area to my liking, banks 14-18 seem to be the overall best and therefore I pre-squad in this area. On the other hand, there really isn't a bad bank in Sparta.

11. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I personally prefer the last 10 banks.

blade819

12. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

On some banks you can see cars moving in front. I don't like that.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Those pesky cars are only about a half mile away or so....

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks for posting that pic Matt. Do they fill up the western banks for the grand week?

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jack,

I really don't know. I would imagine if that is where you prefer to shoot that you would not have a problem finding an opening on a squad there. I know a lot of shooters prefer the East line on down past the tent vendors. There are others that do not like the combo skeet/trap banks on the West line because of the echo between the skeet house and the vendor buildings(I kid you not that's what I heard a guy complaining about). Me, I will shoot anywhere I am pretty easy to please. I tend to stink up the joint quite well on any banks.

16. Donm

Donm Active Member

Buck. I'm not sure but I believe you are supposed to be looking (soft focus) in the front of the house. When the target comes out of the house (unless you are looking at a passing airplane) it passes through the target chips. There for you can not see it well until later in it's flight path. Then you get a slow start or lift your head because you didn't see the intitial part of the flight. In Sparta this isn't a problem. At some clubs this is a problem. Years worth of targets make for a nice sea of orange for the first 10 or more feet of flight. Maybe you have never shot a club like this but I have. In the past 38 years and 300K or so Reg. targets I have seen it alot. If you have never seen this and you are a trap shooter you must hold your gun about 10 feet of more over the house and not see the first 10ft. Then you don't see it until it is falling.

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

All of that clutter you see along the highway could be blocked with about six rows of good ole IL corn planted there.

18. RLC323

RLC323 Member

320090T. This year it is so dry, and the corn so lousy, you can see through 6 rows easy.
    Better make it a dozen.

I always thought the background would be better at Sparta if they mowed more often out in the landing area. Knock down that gold colored weeds and grass. This year it will not matter.

19. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Nice picture. Ray

20. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Not regarding banks...but a caution. Two years ago I was on the last wave of squads on a handicap. Once a bank was done, Sparta personnel were running all over a trap to pick up hulls. From the 27 yard line this was about the most distracting thing I've witnessed in 40 plus years of registered shooting. So beware!

milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.