1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparta and the Ill. State Gov't. ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warren, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warren

warren Member

Sparta and the Ill. State Gov

I'm reading that Ill. State is in deep financial trouble and is expected to go into default. Does Sparta depend on the State for funding to stay open?? and how will that effect the Grand??

warren

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Sales tax on the sale of new ammo will generate income for the state.

Could that have been the motivation for requiring new shell sales at the Grand?

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Of course. But I've been a resident of Illinois for 61 years and this old saw is told every year. I suspect it's as close to being true now than ever before, however.

But then again there are several other state owned shooting facilities in the US. Example, Ben Avery Shooting Complex, that is in a state just a whisker from default too. In Ben Avery's case the popularity and possible positive cash flow potential of the facility may keep it open. The Clark County Nevada (Las Vegas) shooting facility is likely not too far behind even though it's just opened. Unlike Ben Avery they don't seem to genuinely care about promoting organized shooting sports.

It's certainly not the best of situations but I'm damned glad we have them. At least those states paid the price to support the shooting sports up front.

I believe that the smaller privately owned venues that are protected from family inheritance and urban encroachment are going to be the salvation of our sport eventually. For the meantime we need to support both as much as we can and work toward that situation. That will ensure a large enough shooter base to help out the state owned facilities as well. WE NEED MORE SHOOTERS!

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Move the Grand to Marengo.

5. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Buzz--------- its over get a life

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Atterbury in Indiana is state owned, now state ran, now in trouble.

7. Dumbhoosier

Dumbhoosier TS Member

Just heard Philip Baker, who now runs Indiana Gun Club, is takinj it over. With a membership, practice will be $4 a round or so, and they will sell components. No words on when, though.

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

That might be a mistake, what is Phil thinking? Is he running both clubs?

9. Dumbhoosier

Dumbhoosier TS Member

His girl friend will manage Atterbury. She is pretty sharp, and a worker. I imagine he will hire others to help, though.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Phil's a smart kid. I hope he pulls it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.