1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SPARTA - A GRAND Location!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Not only is Sparta just about 100 miles east of the center of our USA population,
    but the area is also the center of a vast number of Collegiate, High School, Middle School, FFA,& FH, teams. It seem that the FUTURE of trapshooting is centered in this area. As far as the tired discussion about the site being in the "middle of nowhere", to most people the middle of nowhere is anywhere other than their immediate home range.

Lots of discussion about the past & history but this site seems to be ready for the future of the sport.

All the shooters are happy that a new lease has been signed to keep the Grand at Sparta for many years to come.

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Future What?

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Good luck, you've picked the right bait. JRM

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Very old bait....and a bit odiferious.

Try using some "fiscal bait" instead.....as in the State of IL is $13 Billion in debt and will no doubt have to shutter the doors on all state agencies except those deemed vital....this bait is good on the bottom as this site is inundated with Bottom Feeders (aka democraps & libtards) and is well suited to the top where a fair sized contingent of our fiscally conservative shooting brethren frequent.

Hopefully the barbs were filed off as this is a Catch & Release site only.....

Curt

5. hunter44

Same tired old negatives.......sad.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It's also not far from the most corrupt city in the USA.

7. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

What a divisive, inflammatory thread, and ill advised.

Sparta needs attendees; it doesn't need to be driving them away. Sparta's advantage is that it's a great facility, and the ATA wants it there. The advantage of an Ohio or Vegas Grand is that these locations will draw lots of fans who are happy to attend.

You should know that the center of population does not mean that there's any population density in the location or that it's the center of trapshooters.

Nobody will attend the Grand because of your taunts, but I can guarantee you that you will drive some away.

You're overplaying your hand, and you're not helping the sport with this.

8. Steinkruger

Steinkruger TS Member

also it is in a state where the population hates guns and would love to take them away it seems like. and another thing is that even though it is almost in the geographical center of the US, Sparta is almost a hour away from any good hotel.. if you ask me they should have put it in an area that had more lodging opportunities that are closer by

just my 2 cents

Doug Steinkruger

9. hunter44

Same tired old negatives.......sad.

10. Steinkruger

Steinkruger TS Member

dont get me wrong, my first year to attend the grand was last year and i truly had a blast... just like any other place, it is gonna be hot in summer and there are going to be some cons about it... i will be making the 12 hour drive up there again this year and i hope that i will have as much of a "grand" time that i had last year...

theres another 2 cents so i guess im up to 4 if my adding is right

Doug Steinkruger

11. John55

John55 Active Member

Yep, Sparta isn't far from Chicago...about 300 miles. And yes, most of the population hates guns and wants to take them away...pretty accurate description of Chicago and it's crooked politicians. What many of you IL haters don't seem to understand or want to recognize is that Illinois is not just Chicago. The large majority of the state is comprised of mostly small towns that are agriculture based...and most certainly NOT anti-gun. Us downstaters have nothing to do with Chicago and it's crooked politics, we don't elect them nor want anything to do with them.

12. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Good fishing 44, no doubt lawless will take the hook soon.

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Great location Keep up the good work.

Rock

Jim

14. riggs

riggs Member

All the negatives about Sparta could that be OHIO talking

15. pdq

pdq Member

I don't go to Sparta because I can't shoot consistent 99s and 100s, which means I have zero chance of winning in D class or from the 20 yard line.

Just throwin' a little more bait into this shallow pool of water!!! :)))

Another example of someone trolling, outriggers set up, etc.

Pete

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Galt says,

"No, Bob, what happened was that I expressed an opinion contrary to yours and you attacked and harassed me just as you do with everyone who dares to disagree with the great Bob Lawless. Please don't address me directly in the future, don't quote me and don't ask me any questions and I'll gladly do the same."

So who is looking for trouble now??? I still think you are looking to provoke an argument!!!! As I have said nothing to you since your request. Start trouble and you will get trouble I promise.

You sure do make it difficult to ignore your ramblings. I am more than willing to honor your request to to not address you or quote or even ask you questions. However if you throw the first stone you should understand I won't endure your crap. If you think something negative about me keep it to yourself. Or you just might get the opposite of what you are asking for.

The ground can't be all your way!!!!

Bob Lawless

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Egads, not only did he take the bait, he swallowed the hook, the line, the rod and the whole boat. :)

18. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I hope that the Grand continues forever. I had some of the very best times of my life at Vandalia.

I have never been to Sparta and likely never will be. It's just too inconvenient for me and my shooting buddies. We will stay in the east (NY, NJ, PA, MD). Maybe we will go to the Cardinal once or twice but I doubt we will travel farther west.

As for the future of Sparta, the Grand will remain there for the foreseeable future. That is what the ATA officials have decreed.

19. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I will agree that the complex at sparta is a world class facility, However I am not a registered target shooter, and did no go to shoot. I did not enjoy my visit to the grand last year because It was not what I was lead to believe. Since i started shooting fellow shooters used to rail for hours about how great the grand was(when it was held in vandalia). Vendors as far as the eye could see, guns for days, great food, vast numbers of people, Almost any thing you can think of was there. I was lead to believe that the grand was 5 times the size of our state shoot(which is held at the cardinal center) Apon arrival I discovered that there actually didnt seem to be as many vendors or shooters. The temperature was outragiuosly hot(but then again it was just as hot in ohio) and the vendor we actually went out to see didnt have the greatest service or the time to mess with us. I am not puting one place down and boasting another, this was just my experiance. Both the cardinal center and sparta have there pros and cons. For the grand I would recommend that they simple move the date of the shoot. The grand american handicap is supposed to be the biggest shoot of the year, and therefore all other shoots should make ther schedule around when the grand is. I cant help but think that the temperature would be much more comfortable or at least manageable if they simple moved the shoot back a month. shoot it at the end of september. At the cardianl center they need to get a better hold on the number of golf carts and who are driving them. At this years shoot I stood on one side of the dirt path way for 5 minutes just trying to cross but couldnt becuase it was like a 4 lane highway full of drivers that didnt care who they ran over. And i think both locations could use closer accomodations. Even though I am only 30 miles from the cardinal center I have no idea where the closest motel would be. My solutiuon for this is to make a deal with a motel 8 and have them build motels on both grounds. They would make a killing during the big shoots. Again, these are just my opinions, experiances, and ideas.....no harm or insult intended. BYG

20. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

John I think you are right about that.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/animation/?action=view&current=fishing.gif" target="_blank"> fishing.gif </a>

Foggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.