1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spare parts kit for Remington 11-87

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bonzai272, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Hey all,
    I am about to get a Remington 11-87 12ga. I will use it for bird hunting a few times yearly but I also shoot trap and plan to use it at the range too.

I probably shoot trap singles once a month, up to 100 rounds put thru it each time I go. It could be more if my funds allow though. I estimate between 1500-2000 rounds yearly.

Aside from the o-ring, what else should I order to keep on hand as part of a "spare parts kit" for stuff that might commonly break or wear out after long periods of use? Firing pin, extractor, springs, etc.?

Thanks for all the help!

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Link and extractor are a good idea. Firing pin return spring, gas seals and a carrier latch. You can save some money by getting the o rings a your local harware store. They are 3 for a dollar instead of $6 a piece from Rem. HMB

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

A spare bolt handle would be handy to have as well. Keep her clean and she will be just fine.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You should have a link, forearm support, firing pin and spring, recoil buffer, spare action spring and follower, operating handle, extractor and spring, seal rings, o ring, and anything else as your budget allows. I have an entire spare shotgun in parts alone. The parts I mentioned would be a good start. Usually, the part that fails is the one you DON'T have on hand. :)

5. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Quak Shot: when you say recoil buffer, is that also called the breech bolt buffer? I dont see recoil buffer on my parts list.

Ok here is what we've got suggested so far:

Action spring,
    Action spring follower,
    Barrel seal,
    Carrier latch,
    Extractor,
    Extractor spring,
    Firing pin,
    Firing pin retractor spring,
    Fore-end support assembly,
    Gas cylinder collar (12 ga only, not super mag),
    Link,
    Operating handle,
    Piston,
    Piston seal.

6. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Ok, one last question on this topic...whats a good website to buy factory replacement parts from? I know midwayusa.com sells a bunch but I dont think they have all of them. Does Remington sell them directly off their website?

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can get just about any part for that gun from a variety of vendors in a matter of days. (next day if you want to pay more) I use Brownell's quite a bit and haven't had any problem getting M1100 or M1187 parts from them. With that in mind, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a bunch of money now on parts that will probably never break.

I would just stock up with about six O-rings and one set of gas seals. Do a good cleaning every 1,000 rounds or so and you will have a good idea of what is wearing and may need a replacement in the near future. The 1187 will hold up for quite awhile with the amount of shooting you mentioned.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Not a 11-87 but,,,

I just broke an 1100 extractor at a shoot. I always carry a spare bolt assembly with extractor and firing pin already installed in my shoot bag. Took about two minutes to change out. Don't know the history of same for an 11-87, as the extractor is much thicker, but if your going to attend shoots and not have a backup gun...

9. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Alright, that's all good advice. I suppose I will just order a pack of o-rings and gas seals, then just worry about the rest when the time comes. If Im shooting an event, I will bring the old Wingmaster for backup.

In regards to the o-rings, should I go with the 75 durometer over the harder 90 durometer?

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You have a point there Joe,

I live ten minutes from the range and there are several backups in my safe. Also never go to the field or the range with just one gun. But if a guy didn't have those options then a fairly complete parts kit might be a good idea.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you don't use the correct durometer o ring, what are the consequences? Will the moon leave orbit and crash into the trap house? HMB

12. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Shotgun Sports magazine .com click on Shootin accessoriy under Gear has a emergency kit for 1100 and 11-87 remington shotguns. It gives you 10 different items that you would need. Cost is $69.00. You might wanna check it out. It's on page 5.

George Ware

13. willing

willing Member

In 15 yrs shooting an 1100 I've replaced the o-ring and support assembly.

Bill

14. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

They are bullet proof. Pick-up a couple of extra O-Rings(#21)at a local hardwate store or rubber and gasket supply and you are set. Keep a can of Remoil handy.

Ray

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

bonzai272

The buffer I referred to is indeed the Breach Bolt Buffer. You should also have a spare Firing Pin Retaining Pin and I didn't mention the Extractor Plunger before either. You could have these on hand. When tou replace the buffer, you usually need to drill a hole through it for the pin when the buffer is fully seated in the bolt recess. I use a 3/16" bit, if memory serves me. I pre-drill a couple, since I don't need to mess with it when I need to replace it. I carry an entire bolt assembly and repair what I need to after the fact. If an extractor breaks or something else goes wrong with it, I can put the gun back in action within a few minutes by swapping out the bolt. I usually order parts directly from Remington. You can visit their Website Here or call them at 1-800-243-9700

Midway USA has a LOT of Remington parts as do Brownell's. There are a lot of vendors that carry parts for the 11-87. I have bought parts at a Gander Mountain when I was desperate.

"O" Rings would usually be 75 Durometer Viton if memory serves me.

Here are the part numbers for the parts I mentioned above:

Bolt Buffer Part No. 91450B

Firing Pin Retaining Pin Part No. 18623

Extractor Plunger Part No. 17432

16. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Brownells sells a nice 1100/1187 spare parts kit, check them out.

17. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Poppert's seems to have the best prices and reasonable shipping.

Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
11 87 remington parts
google remington 1187 breech bolt buffer replace

remington 11-87 extractor

remington 11-87 extractor kit

remington 11-87 parts extractor

remington 11-87 parts list

remington 11-87 spare parts
remington 1100 parts