1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Spanish Pistol Infomation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Richiemac78, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Have purchased an inexpensive STAR , Model BM, 9mm, S/N 045xx which has a rather strange light tan finish called "STARVEL" . Can anyone advise the makeup of this
    covering which appears to have been sprayed on ; grips are checkered black plastic. The original box is marked " DIRECCION DE LA GUARDIA CIVIL" The importer's initials coined on the slide is "CAI" Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Star pistols were made in Spain. They are no longer
    manufactured and parts are difficult to obtain. I
    believe the importer was CIA. (Calvery Arms Int'l.?)

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

CAI, that would be Century Arms International. I don't know about them being a importer, but years ago Interarms of Alexandria, Va. was the importer.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Regarding the finish, I pulled this off a pistol forum:<blockquote><I>"Starvel is electroless nickel, in which nickel is chemically bonded to steel or aluminum by an immersion process, not by electrical discharge. It is much thinner, but harder and more durable than conventional nickelplating, and does not require an intermediate plating of copper.

Before Star offered this finish from its factory, Interarms was using the same process to refinish some new PD pistols which had been blued. During that time it was called Nivel (a contraction of nickel and velvet)".</I></blockquote>

MK

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

As I recall CDNN carried parts/magazines for these in the past.

It might be worth a call to them to see if they still have any 'stuff' in stock.

6. Richiemac78

Richiemac78 Member

Thanks to all for input...big help ....this website is fantastic !!!!!

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I bought one back in the late 60's. Very accurate 9mm. Mine came with its original holster which I think I still have someplace. Appeared to be military with flap and external magazine pouch. I just saw one a couple weeks ago at a gun show. The dealer was asking a little over 450.00 dollars for it.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.