1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SPACE SHOT--HUGE WASTE OF $$$$$

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ddrsuz, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

I have been watching with some interest this idea that our Navy is going to spend $60 mill to shoot a non functioning satelite out of the sky...........WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY............I bet we have at least 3 Annie or long shot shooters at every club I shoot at that would be glad to drop that sucker right out of the sky for the cost of the ammo (altho I bet they would probably use those magnum loads they say they aren't really using during those shoots).
    Maybe I have this all wrong, maybe the Navy is going to station 5 battleships out in the ocean and do their own version of an Annie.....now that would be worth watching
    d

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I think it's worth the cost. Aside from destroying a potential problem from crashing into the earth, especially into an urban area, it also neatly solves some other issues. Like not letting our spy satellite technology fall into the wrong hands, assuming there are any recoverable pieces. And, it's a good demonstration of our anti-missile capabilities, which is important right now considering the threats from Russia, China and North Korea concerning nuclear missiles, as well as upstart Iran. I give Bush two thumbs up on this.

3. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

8 or 9 size shot? I shot at it a lot and guess I have a problem with range. Full choke or xtra full? I expected a lot of better advice. Seriously, hydrazine is NASTY stuff, but I suspect that that is an excuse. Keep the info out of the hand of the bad guys!!

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Didn't the drag racers try to run Hydrazine in the late 60's until they outlawed its usage?

I'd really have to dig into my bag of trick to come up with a shell big enough to bring that baby down. I do like the idea of a annie being shot with Battle Ships!

ec90t

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

They hit it. Mash the link for the story.

WASHINGTON (AP) - A missile launched from a Navy ship struck a dying U.S. spy satellite passing 130 miles over the Pacific on Wednesday, the Pentagon said.
    It was not clear whether the operation succeeded in its main goal of destroying a tank aboard the satellite that carried a toxic fuel that U.S. officials said could pose a hazard to humans if it landed in a populated area.

Jim

6. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Just a warmup for some future shot

7. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Brian:

You hit the nail right on the head. If anyone thinks for one millisecond that this was about a fuel tank you are sadly mistaken. This was about destroying the technology so that no one could get a piece of it. And you can be sure that there are Navy ships sitting there waiting for any large pieces to fall into the ocean.

Martin 9 years USN E-6.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Now to have a huge stockpile of multi-million dollar missiles and never use one would be a waste of money. Good shooting.

9. GRR

GRR TS Member

Brian in Oregon

I could not have said it better, you got it right. I'll bet Russia is going to spend their entire war chest to try and catch up with this act.

10. WGB

WGB Member

The Chinese shot one down recently and they are whining the loudest.
    Good shooting Navy.

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Brian, I couldn't agree with your more. We don't want the technology to get out. Of course, Russia and China have theirs but most are still using film technology while we just use it as backup to our digital realtime systems. According to an issue of Space and Missile they haven't developed a working shoot down system. I'm sure glad ours worked, just in case it's needed in the future what with Iran and Isreal thing heating up. Jackie B.

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A tankful of Hydrazine coming down god knows where would not be pretty.

Unless it landed in East L.A.

HM

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Or China, they would bottle the stuff and ship it to US. as the new energy drink for kids.

14. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

dont forget the lead painted shiny cans...lol

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

It was a great shot. I wonder who the young Sailor was who threw the switch--I'll bet he'll never forget that one!

Hopefully there will be pictures of the moment of impact in a few days.

All I can think about is how expensive of a faux pas this particular satellite project was. I'm glad I wasn't the project manager. 60M to destroy it and how many millions to design, produce, test, and launch a school bus sized piece of highly classified junk.

Guy Babin
    USN Retired

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

It was a good use of our technology to destroy potential orbiting weapons.

Glad it worked, if not the russians would have liked to try to destroy iy with their technology.

You heard it from me

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Czar Putin was haveing a fit because we were going to "Test a weapon". Hey it's our satilite. Why can't we bring it down any way we darn well please. I feel a little better about our ability to defend the country. Don't you? Always remember,"IF YOU GOT IT, FLAUNT IT"...................Roger

18. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

Just practice for bigger and better things to come!

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Aegis BMD has established a record of strong performance with 12 successful ballistic missile intercepts in 14 attempts - plus one dead falling satellite if you count last night.

20. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

I wonder how much lead they used for a target traveling around 17,000 miles an hour, 130 miles up???? 1, 2 or 3 time zones....Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.