1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Heaters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolared person, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

What is the best space heater available today to heat a small room? Thanks for your input.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The best in my opinion is a Hydrothermo-baseboard oil filled--250w per foot--3" piece will heat a 75 sq ft room that is insullated. Rule of thumb is 10w per sq ft. Avoid anything with fans. An alterative are the oil filled radiators.

Phil Berkowitz

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

pelonis ceramic disc furnace. very safe, very efficient, very small. it's what nasa uses in the space shuttle. good luck with it

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The cheapest one you can buy that has all the safeties, make sure it shuts off when tipped over etc

A watt is 3.41 BTU it makes no differance how it is delivered

Also make sure your wire is sized properly for a heater, NEC says that the branch circuit for a electric heater must be over sized by 125% to safely operate IE: a 1500 watt heater at 120 volts will pull 12.5 amps, so you will need to mutliply that times 125% so it would pull 15.625 amps, you would need at least 12 ga wire to pull it safely, 14 ga is only rated to 15 amps

Most of the heaters have been derated so they will work fine on a 15 amp circuit though ( about 1400 watts give or take a few)

And of course please try to buy American, but that will be almost impossible

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Any authoritative opinions on infra-red heaters?

Pat Ireland

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

I belive catpower to be correct. A watt is a watt is a watt. Little ceramic heaters with a fan are a bit faster than the oil-filled. $20.00 or so, use it till it craps out and buy another. The hype for the Amish-specials are advertising BS. You can buy a hell of a lot of cheapies with safety controls for what those dandies cost.............m

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

We've gone to space heaters this year. the watchdog groups say that natural gas has gone down in usage the past couple of years but noone explains the raise in cost of LP gas. I for one am damn tired of paying over 700 per month for propane to heat my home. Go to Walmart and buy one of the cheapest heaters they sell. The little bugger will last for at least two years and cost me eleven bucks. Dan

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

if a watt is a watt, then 400, 13 watt compact fluorescent lights will produce the same amount of heat as one disc heater, using the same amount of electricity.

9. shelly

shelly TS Member

Not really quartering. Most of the electric heaters will put out 1500 watts (13 amps) which is the most UL will certify. It would take only 116 13 watt light bulbs to put out the same heat. I think you got watts and BTUs confused: 1500 watts is 5,200 BTU.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

There seems to be some confusion. A Watt is a unit to measure power used or power converted to another form of energy. It was first used to compare steam engines. A 40 Watt incandescent light bulb burning for 2.5 hours will produce the same amount of light as a 100 Watt incandescent light bulb burning for one hour. But a 30 Watt fluorescent light bulb will produce the same amount of light as a 100 Watt incandescent light bulb. With these two different systems, 30 Watts is equal to 100 Watts of light energy.

We cannot compare a 1500 Watt heater to 15 100 Watt light bulbs because they are converting electrical energy into two different forms of energy (light and heat).

Pat Ireland

11. shelly

shelly TS Member

Pat, the question was about heat, not light. You sure can compare the heat produced by 15 100 watt light bulbs to a 1500 watt heater since the heat output will be the same for both.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Watt? I mean what? Those pelonis ceramic disc furnaces are expensive, my cheap old milk barn heater works pretty good, buy them at tractor supply and such.

13. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

It may be a bit smelly but our 20 plus year old Sun kerosene heater works great in power outages. The nice thing is you can make coffee and cook on it too. After last nights windstorm I think its time to get it out of storage.

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I froze for a couple years with a fan blower/radiant heater. Finally got an inexpensive oil filled heater (the one that looks like a minature steam radiator)
    and it keeps the room as warm as you'll ever need.

f

15. Catpower

Pat, actually a 100 watt light bulb will produce as much light as 3, 40 watt bulbs or 2 60 watt bulbs, the light intensity is actually measured in Lumens

If you live in a total electric house, and you use straight resistance heat, to heat the house there is absolutly no energy savings by turning off lights, during the heatin season, because all the energy consumed by running the lights is used as space heating.

This is not true with a heat pump, as it just tranfers heat, yup, guys there's heat in that there air until -460F, so no complaining about it being cold at -20F

Fluoresent bulbs are more efficient, meanng they deliver more light than an incandesant bulb if they are both the same wattage. Altough they do have energy loss from the ballast, but with new technology they have gotten more efficient.

But no matter how you do it, if it's straight resistance heat, which all space heater are, a watt is a watt is a watt.

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

What dahaub said. It is far cheaper for me to use a space heater in whatever room I am in than to try to keep the entire house warm with propane. Any space heater.

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

700 a month for heat!!! Damnnn! Can you say new windows, new furnace and a whole hell of a lot more insulation? Oh, does anyone remeber when propane was just a nasty byproduct of oil refining and it is burned off in the warm weather because they did not have anywhere to store it?

18. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

PS when using an electric heater every cent or nearly so you spend on the electricity is given off as heat. Yep those cheapo milk house heaters at TSC are every bit as efficient as those so called 'Amish' heaters that you get the heater for free if you buy the nice wooden box. Just like the free coins you get if you buy the safe!!!Sounds like something a yellow dog Democrat would buy!! What a F$$$$$$g rip off those things are!!!

19. shelly

shelly TS Member

Yes, it's really funny to hear advertisments about how efficient some electric heater is, like those "Amish" ones. Sad that people are gullible enough to believe it as well as thinking they're getting something free.

20. Catpower

Rick, it will decrease the oil or gas you use, but straight resistance electic heat is the highest priced way to heat a building, unless you have some very cheap electric service

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.