1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Heater question O/T

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have a space heater, that has been working fine, until last weekend. I plug it in and it won't come of I have checked the circuit breaker, it's fine. The outlets that I used when I plugged a lamp or toaster into worked fine but the heater won't come on. I took it over to my parents today and it works just fine there. I have reset the part that plugs into the wall. Does anybody have any thoughts?

2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Sounds like a short somewhere. If a toaster/lamp worked at your place.....then you took it somewhere else and it worked fine.....gotta be a short in the line/ or faulty plu end. what do you mean by "reset the part that plugs into the wall "? An outlet is either HOT/or NOT....if a toaster works ....the outlet is fine. The breaker would "Break" if it was the outlet. I susspect the plug END.......sometimes they get "ached"....sometimes corroded. Did you try it in another outlet in your house?

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Yes I have in 3 different outlets, lamps work fine with them, the heater won't....

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

This is puzzling Beretta. In "modern" house wiring....and I mean knob and tube/fuses/and MORE modern Breakers.....an outlet is either HOT or NOT....
    If it is NOT it can ONLY mean the Fuse or Breaker POPPED....or one of the 2 wires (Hot or Common) has an OPEN (break in it). if an outlet will electrify a lamp....it will run the heater..or pop the fuse/breaker. I would suspect a FAULT cord or plug to your heater. The FACT that it worked at your parents could have been a fluke (perhaps twisted the line a bit). One other very SLIM chance is that your heater is "polarity" sensitive"....try flipping or revrersing the plug. Are you sure there is NO 'reset" button on the heater?

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

GOOD suggestion PAT......the switch/GFCI that NO ONE can figure out ! Try it in a "KNOWN to be HOT" outlet.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Neon testers cost about a buck and a quarter. Get one and use it whenever there is a question. Best money you ever spent.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.