1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Space between the beads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Do most of you guys still go my the old rule figure 8 between the two beads beads? Stacking the beads. The reason i ask is if there is a bigger space between the two beads its much easier to get a bird bead relationship because the front bead stands out more. Whats your thoughts on this?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some rib between the beads when shooting American Trap, knowing the targets are always rising before I pull the trigger. That's how my stock were made.

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Buddy, the space between the beads is meaningless! Try this , make a tiny spitball about the size of your middle bead, now holding the gun level, have a friend move the bead forward then back, while your face is still on the stock, the gun will appear to shoot either high or low, has the impact changed any? NO! don't forget, the placing of the middle bead varies from gun to gun sometimes of the same brand. The only thing a middle bead does is to help you in having the right cast on cast off on your stock, when the two beads are in perfect placement one behind the other. Incinerate em!

4. bigben

bigben Active Member

Buddy, the space between the beads is meaningless! Try this , make a tiny spitball about the size of your middle bead, now holding the gun level, have a friend move the bead forward then back, while your face is still on the stock, the gun will appear to shoot either high or low, has the impact changed any? NO! don't forget, the placing of the middle bead varies from gun to gun sometimes of the same brand. The only thing a middle bead does is to help you in having the right cast on cast off on your stock, when the two beads are in perfect placement one behind the other. Incinerate em!

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Spacing isn't important but whatever the spacing happens to be, the middle bead and it's relationship to the front bead provides a mental check point so you know the mount is straight and your face pressure, and hence your eye position, is consistent each time you shoot that particular gun. Obviously different shotguns will have different POI even with identical Figure-8 beads (or whatever bead picture you like).

-Gary

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I pay no attention to the space between the mid and front sight. I do pay attention to where my gun shoots. I wish I could pay more attention to where I shoot the gun.

Pat Ireland

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If the gun fits you then you do not need the rear bead. It's just that simple.

The rear bead is only useful for guns that don't fit, and this allows those using a generic factory stock - especially a field stock - to achieve consistent alignment. But this means you have to check the alignment every time you shoulder the gun. You have the ability to do this with trap, but it does not work for hunting or sports where starting from a low gun hold is required.

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I found the mid bead distracting so I blackened it with a sharpie.

Charlie

9. dzneff

dzneff Member

Fprget about the space between beads. Adjust the POI to where you want it and break targets.
    Dennis

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Take BOTH beads off, and look at the target.

11. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

This might help---close eyes, pullup gun, open eyes---the gun should line up with the beads and say a dot on the wall or some target. If not continue to adjust till it does. Before all of these laser bore sighters, i built one out of a laser pointer and an empty shotgun shell w/a little electrical tape for good fit. It gives one a good example of where the gun is pointing before wasteing a lot of ammo and guessing at the range. Then use a pattering board if you like. Gennerally speaking if one can not figure eight the beads the gun probaly will not shoot where one is pointing. Steve

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Answering the question, if adding more space between the beads gives an improved visual presentation and does not screw up the POI, use it.

Explain how you would change the space inbetween beads and not change POI.

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . move the middle bead is one way, having an adjustable rib is another, Martin. Getting an add-on rib is a third. Fourth, you could bend the barrel and move the comb.

Neil

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

As Neil stated above, moving the middle bead forward will reduce the space seen between the mid and front bead without changing the POI. Also, lowering an adjustable rib only in the rear will do the same thing.

Pat Ireland

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If the gun has a mid-bead, I remove it once I get the gun fitting correctly. I try to simplify my sight picture as much as possible.

I strictly use my comb for POI adjustments. I've never been brave enough for the fork of the tree method. Lol.

ss

16. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Beads?

Oh those thingys.

Don't look at them.

Find looking at the target works better.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

space between beads in a mala

space between beads on trap gun