1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SP10 or Mag 10 ?

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Portigee Duckman, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

0   0   0

Looking for a 10 ga in good condition , If you can help me out Please PM me .
    Thanks !

2. rbk18

rbk18 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You have a pm. Bruce

3. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

0   0   0

You have another PM.

Steve Nunley
    Albuquerque, New Mexico

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

0   1   0

The Mag 10 had alot of problems when Ithaca had the gun. They sold the plans and rights to Rem and they worked out of the problems and the SP10 was born. The SP10 is a far better gun and parts are around for the gun while the Mag10 are hard to find.

5. big goose 22

big goose 22 TS Member

0   0   0

I have two sp 10 if your interested.

6. k3uro

k3uro Member

0   0   0

Hi,

I have a Mag 10 sent it to Wells, MN. The Gunsmith there went through the gun in 2002 and it has never failed me. It is a great gun. I put a SP 10 barrel on it and it shoots even better now. The old 31" barrel was really long and really full of choke. :eek:)

Take care,

Jim

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

The Remmie SP10 has the least recoil of the Big Tens. The Browning Gold Ten is the best handling.

Run from the Ithaca.

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I loved the way my SP10 worked, particularly on high flying geese and ducks. Not so much on decoying birds as the big gun was a little heavy for me coming out of a layout blind.
    No recoil and absolute reliability though.

9. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

0   0   0

Question for you 10 GA. Shooters ? With the Mag 10 ,did you guys open the choke
    to shoot Steel Shot ? OR ,How BIG of shot did you normally run threw your gun
    with success ?
    SP 10 shooters , Did all SP 10's come with screw-in chokes ? and , like the
    question above , what choke constriction have you found that ,worked for you
    with large steel shot ?
    Thanks for your Help , I'm NEW to a 10 GA but , NOT to Killing Waterfowl .

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I have shot both and also own a Browning

The Browning is a much better gun in my opinion- more reliable and better balance

I have a steel receiver Browning but they make aluminum now if you want a lighter weight

It is much easier to resell a Browning and the Browning has the most easily available choke tubes and parts

Make your own choice but Mag 10 most problems and hardest to resell if you change your mind--- the SP10 is next- and then in my opinion at the top of the list is the Browning

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have one of the first Browning Gold Ten Gages with the steel receiver and wood stock. It's a great gun, very little kick compared to a 12ga. 3.5". I use "T" shot on geese.

12. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

0   0   0

I had a Mag 10 with full choke and shot large lead and steel shot up to T with great patterns. Pattern was really too small but I loved it for long shots; I either missed or killed the heck out of geese and crane. I sold it when my back got bad, but wish I had it back. Lead is still legal for sandhill crane; they are not waterfowl. AJ

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have owned all of them and I like the SP-10 with the 26 inch barrel the best. theb gun has 8 inches of reciever or maybe even a little more. You do NOT need a 30 inch barrel. I don't care for any but the 26inch but if you must the 28 is ok but I would not buy one until I had swung the 26 andf the 28 incher.

My Browning is the old school gun with the steel reciever and it has never failed me nort has my SP-10's.

I shoot one load with steel. 1 1/2 of T's or TT's if I can get them. The Briley extended Improved modified choke provided me with the best patterns at 55 yards. The Browning modified choke that came with the gun did as good as the aftermarket briley did in teh SP-10.

Smaller shot is pointless as there is nothing you can't do with a 12ga with smaller shot. The point of a 10ga is added range not shooting a screen door of small shot. Not only does that not work, it will not make up for lack of ability to center the bird in the pattern. Jeff

14. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

26" Bbl. SP-10 with a Trulock SkeetII extended choke works great out to 45 -50 yards. 2's for ducks, BB's or BBB's for geese.

For extended range I go with either a Trulock Mod extended or Patternmaster choke and BB for ducks, or BBB for geese.

If you have deep pockets the Tungsten or Hevi shot is amazing!!!!

I have been shooting a 10 Ga. of some sort for almost 40 years, and have owned all of the poular models @ one time or another. The SP-10 is by far my favorite. Extremely reliable, and very little recoil.

Most people can't hit a bird @ 50 yards let alone farther out, but the 10 ga. will honestly kill @ 75 yards with the right load/choke.

15. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have a chuch hill sxs Kerry allor rechoked and ported kills eveything to 65 yards.

my sp 10 26" bbl is even better, i'd sell either one. they are both like new.

barry

16. tulsey

tulsey Member

0   0   0

I had some problems with my Mag 10. I sent it to Les Diamond, the former gunsmith for Ithica and he fixed it. He also shortened the barrel and threaded it for screw in chokes. It works fine and swings much better now.

17. Cray

Cray Member

0   0   0

tulsey: Where is Les Diamond located? Cray

18. Cray

Cray Member

0   0   0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.