1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southwestern Grand wrap-up (one persons opinion)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Hessong* (MH*), Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Just got back to work this morning after getting a chance to shoot the final (4) days of the 2009 Southwestern Grand trapshoot in San Antonio, Texas. Oh how the weather changed over the course of those (4) days. I was watching the live cam from the administration building as well as the results of the shooting during the beautiful weather at the start of the shoot last week, but by the time I got up there on Thursday morning, the weather started to decay and rain for the next 2 days made for some "trying" times. I did actually shoot one of my better scores for the week in a driving rain on Thursday morning, but that score didn't count, but that's a whole nother story. We live and learn a little each shoot.

I met a really great bunch of "new" friends and finally got a chance to put some names with faces of the people I read on this website about as well. I got a chance to talk with the Prez of the MN Dog Squad and told him how much I enjoyed his take on the shooting and the exploits of his squad/friends as they enjoyed the South Texas hospitality. I also got a chance to meet his daughter, one of our upcoming Olympic hopefuls for 2012. Nice folks. I shot with people from Alaska to Maine to my final handicap event with me and 4 of our British shooters from "across the pond". Nice group of guys. It is really amazing to see the places that people come from to keep our sport alive.

I even had a few people come up to me and say; so you're Mike Hessong. I didn't know if that was good sign or not, but I have found that more and more people have discovered our club from our website and we are getting contacted as a good place to stay over the winter for some of our northern guests, and they have shown an interest in making the Victoria Skeet and Trap Club their winter base in the coming year. Always like to hear good things like that.

I got a chance to see one of my "old" shooting buddies who recently moved back to Pennsylvania. He and a friend of his, who runs the Monroe Sportsman's Club in northeast Ohio, made the trip down to the SWG. I had made an earlier comment about Dave bringing one of his "Yankee" friends down and his daughter straightenend me out, but I always use "Yankee" in friendly terms. I'm sure a lot of our visitors last week got pretty tired of hearing mostly southern Texas drawls, but we tried to also show our easy-going, Texas-friendly atmoshpere to our guests over the last 8 or 9 days.

To all of the winners and participants of the Southwestern Grand; congratulations and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and have a safe trip to where ever your travels leads you next. I know I don't really enjoy shooting in the rain, but for the people here in South Texas, we were in dire need of some of that wet stuff and still need lots more to make a dent in the drought conditions we are under, so I will put up with a little inconveinance to get a little of God's water down upon us.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Do a Paul Harvey and give us the rest of the story

jpark

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

so who were you shooting with from Alaska?

Dale Frary or John Ulsher???

4. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

I'm sorry to say, but I never got his name, but we talked off and on a couple of times during the events. I do remember he said he had a son who lived near by (in Helotes) and I think he was stationed there in San Antonio. Gave him a nice, convenient place to stay while the shoot was going on. Just noticed he had a big Checy Silverado truck with Alaska plates.

The shortened "Paul Harvey" story of the targets that didn't count is; when my shooting buddy and I were signing up EARLY Thursday morning, we missed that the events we were actually signing up for were Fridays events. Got everything squared away and went down to our early singles event and thought we heard there wasn't a squad with the number were were assigned. We told the scorer we were here and shot just our 2-man squad. After the fact I now know why it was only us, because there never was really anyone signed up for that squad on Thursdays event. We ended up shooting a 98 (me) and my buddy had a 96 and we finished the last 2 traps in a driving rain. Then I hear they are looking for us at the administration building and that is when I found out we hadn't signed up for Thursdays events. We DID correctly sign-up AGAIN for the handicap and doubles events, but our singles scores were thrown out and then to top it off, we owed $29 for the targets we shot, that didn't count. Oh well; live and learn. We caught a lot of ribbing about that event, and the sad thing was my buddy had been shooting all week and that one score might have hurt him in the HAA or HOA (I get confused on which is the larger of the 2).

Sorry to run on so long. I just hope everyone had as much fun as I did. I always look forward to shooting with a lot of the same people I see there year after year, as well as the new people who make it down to San Antonio for their first time.

Mike* (MH*)

5. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mike,

It was nice to meet you, and to put a face with a name.

Don

6. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Don,

Nice meeting you as well. I'm glad you introduced yourself in Buddy's shop. It's always nice putting faces with the names I have read about on here or as in your case, seen on the leader boards. If you ever get down here in the Victoria area, give me a shout or contact me thru our gun club's e-mail server and maybe we can meet at the club and shoot a few rounds.

Mike* (MH*)

7. monroesc

monroesc Member

Mike,
    Just got home from the club up here in not so sunny Ohio and saw the picture of your double-barrel semi-auto. If you find anymore of those we might have a few people interested! (ha ha)
    Sara
    (the Yankee's daughter!)

8. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Sara,

There probably won't be any more of that gun, but it definetly makes people stand back and give it "a 2nd look". It was nice meeting your dad, Ron and seeing 'ol Dave again for the shoot. It was almost like a family reunion for Dave, with all of the Rio Grande Valley shooters up there for the events over the last 4 days of the shoot. Glad they made the trip back home safe and sound. Too bad they couldn't have made the final days events, but i know they wanted to get a jump on the long road trip home.

Mike* (MH*)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.