1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southwestern Grand (San Antonio)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Hessong* (MH*), Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Just wanted to say I am looking forward to getting to San Antonio next week and shooting the final 4 days of the Southwestern Grand trapshoot at the National Shooting Complex. Hope we have good weather and everyone coming to this event has a safe journey there and as they return home afterwards. I know one of our clubs former members who relocated back to Pennsylvania at the end of last year is coming down and he and a couple of his "Yankee" friends will be shooting from Monday thru to the end of the shoot. I jokingly use the term "Yankee", with the best intentions. I have many friends from above the Mason-Dixon line.

I saw an earlier thread that talks about our "over the pond" friends making their trip back here for the SWG. Maybe we will all meet up on Saturday at the Beretta Pavillion for a little "after events" comraderie (sp?).

Good luck to all of the participants and thanks to the National Complex for hosting this fine event. I look forward to it each year, and enjoy meeting new shooters from all over the country and the rest of the world.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

2. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

I would like a little advice. I have a young lady on our SCTP team that has wanted to attend this shoot for several years but we have been unable to raise the funds for the entire team (some 45 kids) to go.

This is her senior year and after talking to her about this last weekend at a local shoot I became aware of how much this meant to her. She is one of our top shooters and and a big part of our team so I am now scrambling to see if I can get maybe a squad of kids (that are also able to help cover their own travel costs) to make the trip (with me driving the 11+ hours each way).

We would be driving down on Friday the 17th to shoot the 200 Singles on Saturday with a return trip on Sunday. While I am waiting for some firm commitments from a couple of the kids to determine if we can make this work I have reviewed the shoot program and researched hotel availability.

I have called the one number I found in the program but so far I have not been able to actually speak to a live person that can answer my questions so I will throw his out to my friends here on TS.com.

My question is, if we miss the April 11th deadline for presquading (which is very likely), and with our limited time on Saturday morning before the event starts, would it still be possible to get squadded on Saturday morning? I should add, without major hurdles to overcome?

Having never been to this location any advice (on what I may be getting myself into) would be greatly appreciated!

On a related note, from what I am finding at the on line travel sites it would appear (at least at this moment) that there should be no problem getting 3 reasonably priced rooms somewhere near the facility?

Thanks in advance for the help!

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

TD, you'll have no problem signing up Saturday and shooting. They will find you spots, though they are likely to be a bit late, which is no problem there since they have plenty of traps and time as well.

Do you have the program? It's at the link above. It's a great shoot and you are guaranteed a good time.

Neil

4. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Neil,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I really did think we could walk in that morning and shoot, but as you said, later in the program. I was just a bit nervous about driving some 700+ miles without your (or someones) reassurance.

Appreciate your help and yes, I already found the program.

Tad

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

This will be the first time I'll miss the SW Grand in the last five years. It is a great place to shoot. There are plenty of fields, so there is no problem getting to shoot, unlike the Spring Grand. There is no nonsense like ten per post, 150 bird championship singles, or assorted nonsense due to inadequate facilities. Don't miss the free Saturday night barbecue!

6. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Tad, I'll be there Friday and Saturday, good luck and maybe we'll bump into each other. Ross

7. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The Red Roof/ Sea World offers a "shooter's rate" and we have stayed there with no complaints. It is close by....

8. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

When you arrive at the NSC go into the registration building and the 1st 2 smiling faces will be CHC member Tommy Hunter and his devoted helper Bob Roberts(me) and we will walk you thru the Chaos. Just be sure and have score cards averaged out and there will be no problems. Just remember that when you go out to eat DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN VEHICLES THAT YOU WANT THE NEXT DAY. Same goes for athe motels. You will really enjoy San Antonio.
    Bob Roberts

9. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Thanks for all the GREAT information!

I haven't nailed down a full squad yet...but should be bringing at least three kids, maybe more.

10. monroesc

monroesc Member

Mike,
    Now be nice--that "yankee friend" is my dad! It's nice to have Dave back in our area. I hope they both shoot well! If they don't shoot well then at least bring back some sunshine! We are tired of snow up this way!
    Sara
    Monroe Sportsmans club

11. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Sara,

Your dad and 'ol Dave are more than welcome to our great state. Glad you caught that I was using the term "Yankee" in a nice way. I talked with Dave a little around noon today, and he was really excited about leaving tomorrow morning with your dad for their road trip to the SWG. I really hated to see Dave Baker move back home to Pennsylavania, but I am also glad he has found a new place to shoot targets. He's also glad I'm not "forcing" him to shoot country doubles and skeet. He is now just a one-track minded trapshooter again. Like he was before he migrated to South Texas. I look forward to their arrival and I will see them whe I get up to SA on Thursday morning.

Mike* (MH*)

12. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The NSC has lockers for your guns that are always under guard. There are groups in San Antonio that know when events are being held at the club. There have been rumors that cars are marked in the NSC parking area for easy identification later. They will steal your valuables at the motels, restaurants or any where else you leave your car. Be safe. Use the lockers. Jimmy Borum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

southwest grand trap shoot san antonio tx