1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southwest trip

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

My wife and I are planning a late winter trip to the American southwest, going from MI to Big Bend Nat'l park in Texas. Neither of us has ever spent much time in the southwestern states. Can anyone give us any clues as to points of interest that we shouldn't miss in the states of Arizona, New mexico, Texas etc. Thanks Bill

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Nothing to see down there? I guess we'll just wing it. Bill

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Slayer, there are lots of things to see and do while making your trip. on your way down, might stop at Palo Duro canyon between Amarillo and Lubbock. Also might want to go by the Mc Donald observatory, just south of I 10. If yu are going across I 40 you've got the painted desert and the petrified forrest in eastern arizona. If on the I 10 route, Carlesbad Caverns and White Sands desert are nice places to see. Take your pic. There are lot of things to see and do in the great southwest.
    Have a fun trip.

Bob

4. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Slayer, I don't know how much time you have on your trip. I would definetly concentrate on Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. A suggested route might be the Grand Canyon, Page (Lake Powell), Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park. Then travel from Bryce Canyon on Highway 12 thru the town of Escalante, Utah to the Town of Boulder, Utah. Take the famous "Burr Trail" from Boulder to Bullfrog Landing on Lake Powell. The Burr Trail is absolutely incredible. From Bullfrog head for Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona Border. There is also an alternate route that would start in Las Vegas and end at the Grand Canyon. The natural beauty you will encounter in this part of the country is unparalled. You will see some of the most incredible scenery in the world on this route. I promise you won't be disappointed. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

Gus in Las Vegas

5. warren

warren Member

When you enter New Mexico from Texas turn right on hiway 25 and then go thru Albuquerque and on to Santa Fe there is the olderst church in the USA there and the Indian culture is prevalent there, then visit Gallup NM and Windowrock Az for more Indian culture you might want to go on north to Four Corners which is the only spot in the USA where four states join (NM,Az, Ut & Colorado) a side trip to Monument Valley from there is worthwhile you can just see John Wayne out there, then south to Canyon De Chelly to see a classic Pubelo built into a cliff, then on to the Painted Dessert and the Petrified Forrest (amazing) then go to the Grand Canyon and imagine what the Spanrads thought when they saw that. Go to Rods Steak House in Williams for a steak I had my first steak there in 1948 and it's still there. If you go into Utah fromt there Spanish Springs has a really neat trap club. Salt Lake City and the Great Salt Lake are very worthwhile as are Capital Reef and Zion Ntl. Parks are a must see. From there if you've never been there you can drop down into Las Vegas watch your money there but the trap club is world class. That doesn't even start on Calif. and the rest of Nevada you could spend years there I absolutly love all the southwest.

warren

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Moab, Utah ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Here is web address to TripAdvisor.com with lots of reviews and information about the famous "Burr Trail". Everyone needs to ride the Burr Trail at least once in their lifetime. You may have to copy and paste.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g143017-d144936-Reviews-Burr_Trail-Capitol_Reef_National_Park_Utah.html

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Moab Ut is a scenic wonder with cliff dwellings of the ancient people, the Grand Canyon is a must see and there are a number of great places along its run to do that. Zion is incredible. Do a bit of research on what Utah has to offer and I think you could have a wonderful time just traveling that state.

Las Vegas is only good for loosing money which I don't consider entertainment. But lots of people from out of state do - enter at your own risk ....

Nevada has a wealth of hidden beauty - the kind of stuff that isn't really known about or developed for tourism. Probably not much to see unless you have a lot of time and are willing to get way off the beaten path.

9. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

When traveling to The Big Bend National Park, be sure to leave yourself plenty of time as it covers 1252 square miles. You can spend a month there and never see the whole beauty of the park. It is outstanding. Go to their website and pull up needed info, it will give you an overview of the park and answer most questions you will have. Take a camera, you'll be taking many photos. Roy

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks everyone for the great info. We have read a lot of internet and tourist info, but it's always good to hear from people that have been there or live there. Really looking forward to this one! Any more posts? Bill

11. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

U gotta go to Marfa, tx and see the Marfa Lights

12. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Bring your trap gun and shoot at Ben Avery in Phoenix, also at Casa Grande and Tucson. Clark County in Las Vegas is good too.

Oops, sorry forgot you were bring your wife...sorry.
    :)

13. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Check out the Tom Bolack museum in Farmington NM you will be impressed. Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.