1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southwest Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vatrap, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

I'm planning on flying down to San Antonio for a couple of days during the SW Grand. Any tips for somebody that has not shot there before? Best fields to shoot on, where to buy shells, flying into SA with a shotgun?

Any help would be appriciated.

Mike

2. BoilerUP

BoilerUP TS Member

I know that the ACUI collegiate national clay target championship shoot is going on at the same time so it might be a bit crowded

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Mike -

All the fields are mostly the same, they all have handset traps (at least they did last year). I'm sure people have favorites or ones they try to stay away from, but I don't see a huge difference. They draw for bank assignments each day so you can't pick your bank.

Shells on site are pretty expensive (again from last year), and that was before everything got real expensive. There is a Sportsman's Warehouse on the northeast side of San Antonio that usually has a good stock of Estates if you are looking for the lowest priced stuff. I suspect even the good stuff will be cheaper there than at the range.

I've never had any issue with flying with a gun, to SA or anywhere else for that matter. I'm usually on a airplane at least twice a year with a gun. Just make sure your airline will allow you to check a firearm - the majors all do but some of the low-cost don't (USA 3000 I know for sure won't).

SWG is one of my favorite places to shoot. Unless you catch a brutally hot stretch the weather is usually pretty good and there are plenty of good BBQ spots to hit while you are there. I'll be there Sunday thru Saturday, can't wait to get down there.

Scott

4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

That Sportsman's Warehouse closed a few months back. In fact, a friend of mine got a great deal on all their remaining shot. The cheapest shells are now at Wal-Mart. Federal or Winchester 4-packs for $20.99.

5. McD

McD TS Member

vatrap,
    You'll find everything you'll need at the National Shooting Complex if you like one stop shopping. Flying in to SAT is as any other, somewhat simpler due to size. Rental car vendors are a concern for accessibility as most are offsite. Be prepared for warm, cold, wet or dry:) Still will be one of the most enjoyable of shoots you can attend. Supposed to be all Pat-Traps now and that will be a great improvement. Enjoy! McD

6. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Pat-Traps - Not yet. Jimmy Borum

7. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Mike,

There have ben reports of guns being stolen in San Antonio when they are left in cars outsuide of hotels, be careful. If you know someone on teh grounds, probably best to leave your guns with them if posible.

NSC sells ammo as does the WalMart at Loop 1604 and Culebra usually has AAs and STS shells.

Glad you are making the trip, it is a nice facility and targets and food at local restaurants is very nice. The local caterer does a good job also.

Don rackley

8. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

There are gun lockers for rent on the grounds $5.00 per day. 24 Hour guard. Jimmy Borum

9. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

It's one of the finest shooting facilities in the country. They do have shells for sale but they are expensive but not any worse then any club. The food is great at their outdoor restaurant and the grounds are always well maintained. They run a good shoot and have enough traps so you are done with shootoffs well before the light gets bad. The nearby Walmart has had good deals in the past but they do run out quickly. If you aren't there before Monday, the pickings are usually pretty slim. There is also a Dicks up the road and they had shells last year at decent prices. You should have a great time. It's one of the shoots I wouldn't miss if I had to trim my shooting schedule back.

Mark Zauhar

10. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

You will love it. Flying into San Antonio is know problem. They have many major shoots there, and the airport is used to seeing alot of guns come through. There are several places to buy shells (listed above). All the fields are the same. have a great time.

Matt Woodson

11. vatrap

vatrap Member

Thanks of all the advice, I have found someone to bring in shells for me at a reasonable price. Do you need to call ahead for the lockers? Anybody know if Vern Brown will be there? I need a tuneup on one of my PFS stocks. I'm looking forward to the shooting and BBQ.

Mike

12. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Vern is/was in Florida. He is usually there. Jimmy Borum

13. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

There is only one Dicks Sporting store in San antonio, and It is not open yet, They are still stocking it. The only Dicks is just north of 1604 aand I-10 There is a Bass Pro Shop there but they are Expensive.
    Bob R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

southwest grand trap shoot