1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southwest Airlines? Travel w/ guns? Experience?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapwife, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

We usually use SW when we have to fly and have never had any trouble taking the shotgun. Our homeowners policy covers the gun, so we don't worry about the airlines insurance. We try to sit on the side of the plane where we can watch them load the luggage. I try to actually see the gun case go in the plane. Doesn't always happen, but makes me feel better when I do see it.

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Haven't had any trouble with Southwest or American Airlines. The airlines will not cover your gun with loss or damage, so I am told. You can use one of the gun insurance companies, and it will be covered then.

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Only the naive would rely on airline insurance for gun loss. Southwest has always been great for me when flying with guns. Trapwife brings up a great point. Get on the loading side of the plane. I once watched a handler throw my two gun Aries case onto the bottom of a cart from yards away. I would love to have had a camera, but only for my own amusement. Little did he know that his performance gave me a chuckle.

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

You can buy extra baggage insurance from SWA. Do it every time I fly with a gun. The limit is $5000. Not much but it helps keep the gun from growing legs.

Tom

5. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

After a career of Law Enforcement at JFK,in NY I would never ship a gun on commercial air w/o insurance I've seen ramp rats steal cigarette lighters from baggage,they will take anything they can get their hands on.

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Did it last August on SWA with two handguns---smooth as silk----but that was thru Denver and Indy

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Have flown many times in SWA, never an issue

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Always fly Southwest and have never had a problem.Jerry

9. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Should add that as a general rule we don't fly anywhere that Southwest don't fly. That really does not limit our choices too much for where we like to travel.

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> Always fly Southwest and have never had a problem.Jerry

Yep, me too.

I use a Tuffpak, and it counts as 1 bag.

I put my gun plus a ton of other stuff in there.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.