1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southpaw Doubles Coach.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Any highly recommended ones out in Michigan land???

I'm tired of holding a mirror up to see what I'm doing. I hold left, bird goes right. Hold right, bird goes left. Knees hurt when I turn my feet backward. neck hurts when I turn it backwards....

Looking for a southpaw doubles coach....

Jim

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Not a coach by any means but I am left handed. I was watching Larry McKinnley at the Missouri state shoot, (he is a MO. hall of fame left handed shooter and long time friend) and noticed that he took his right bird first on post 3 which is opposite of what every other left handed shooter does. Tried it and now rarely ever miss a post three bird. They had been giving me a heck of a time. Shot a 97 in doubles last weekend and ran the last 50 to do that. First time that has happened and managed to get into A class. Will be working on AA now. Foot stance set for the second shot. Don't admire the smokeball from the first shot. Eyes first, gun second.

Good luck, John

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

BCNU -- my coach switched me from taking the left target to the right one as well and changed my hold point. What a difference it made. Post 3 in doubles used to be my "voodoo" post. Go figure, eh?

Are there any "left-handed" coaches out there? Doesn't matter to me, just as long as they get that I shoot from the correct (left) side, it's fine by me!!! :)

4. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

HI JIM I TOOK LEO'S CLASS THIS SPRING AT PORTLAND-HELP ME ALOT-I'LL BE GLAD TO SHARE MY LEARNINGS WITH YOU-I'LL BE IN MASON FOR SUNDAY'S 500-LOOK ME UP. JIM C.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I've toyed with the right bird first on 3 before. does seem to work better. Alf, I should have taken his class, didn't realize how BAD I was lol...

Jim

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Pete McCall may be a great doubles shooter, but there is reasons to do it the "standard" way. Anyone else is kidding themselves if they think doing it any other way is better. Pushing that gun away from your face, rather than into it will find you looking at the leader board and the shoot off form the fence.

GS

7. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Hey Jim, Have an open mind for doubles before you get set on shooting them the "traditional" way or the "backwards" method. There have been a lot of 100 straights run both ways. As a left hander myself, I shot doubles till I was ready to quit. Then Rick Vice ( Ohio ) had me shoot them backwards. I have only missed the 100 straight because of nerves. I guess Charlie Morrison got lucky to shoot them backwards and win the Grand American Doubles championship with a 100 straight a couple of years ago. Charlie does give clinics. Good luck, Nubs Wagner.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

ANYBODY can shoot right handed. John

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I, too, am a southpaw. I shot doubles for a long time taking the right hand target first from post 3 because someone along the line told me that that was the way it was done. My scores were fair, at best, and post 3 was also my "voodoo" post. It seemed like I could never really break more than a 6 on that post, despite spending a lot of time practicing. My doubles average was in the mid 80's, overall. Since I wasn't making any progress or improving at all,I decided to shoot for a while taking the left hand target first on post 3 and, lo and behold, my "voodoo" post became one of my best ones. I can consistantly break 9's or 10's on that post now, and since the switch, my doubles average is now 93 over my last 700 doubles targets. I am a lot more comfortable taking that left hand bird first and my confidence level has risen accordingly. I think it all boils down to taking the target you, as an individual, feels the most comfortable shooting, and practicing doing it that way until it's just second nature. Don't just do it because someone told you that that's how it's done. What works for me may not work for you. Don't be afraid to experiment, or to change things, if your scores are stagnat and not improving. If you leave everything the same as they are now, as Dr. Phil would say, "How's that working out for you, pal"?. . . Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Dan - isn't it funny how that works? I couldn't hit from the left to save my soul, switch me to the right and up goes the score, immediately. I'm with you though - what works for me, may not work for you - even if we are both 'southpaws!'

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sherree... I'm a big believer in that old saying "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got". If it's not working for you now, it's time to change and try to find something that does work. I've seen, time and time again, shooters that refuse to change anything: Gun hold, chokes, comb height, foot positions, trigger settings, etc. They are absolutely sure they are doing everything right and their gun is set up perfectly. If they shoot one or two good scores in 10 outings, they are convinced everything is fine and they will get better with more practice, but they never do. I feel that, if you don't have a good score at least 60-70% of the time (90 or above), you need to change something, and change it now. After each change, I shoot 1000 rounds to see it it helped. If not, I return everything to where it was before I changed and change something else..... Just my observation....Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.