1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southern Grand trophies

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K80-GLEN, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K80-GLEN

K80-GLEN TS Member

I have shot at the Southern Grand for the past 6 years. In that time I have won some trophies for different events. Some of the trophies have been ok. Lately I have not been impressed with the quality of the trophies. What man do you know who would take a week off work, travel 1300 miles, shoot a good score and take home a set of 4 stemless wine glasses valued at approximately 15.00 dollars? Apparently I am not the only one that feels this way about the trophies from what I understand another shooter was upset with his trophy and returned it back to the club asking if this is the best you can do.

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Good for him for doing so. If your at a local small shot thats one thing. When you go to the Southern Grand you expect something that matches the name Grand. When you go to the GRAND you better see something that will make your mouth water. Wine glasses were nothing but a joke.

3. CIM

CIM TS Member

Were these prelimanry trophies? I won a $6.00 pocket knife for the AAA Doubles a few years back on class day.The ATA trophies are always of high quality.

CIM

4. Pa Clay Trgt

Pa Clay Trgt TS Member

I too was at the Southern Grand and the Grand trophies were not "GRAND". The trophie Bob Griffith received for 7th place in the Handicap on Wednesday, was a crystal candy dish that looked to me like smothing picked up at the Tampa flea market. This was not a prize purchased by the ATA. Granted, there were belt buckels and Shamrock bags in the case but I didn't note what they were for. The prize for 7th in the main Handicap, was a nice Wendle August bread tray. The Silver Dollar should be ashamed. JUST MY 2 CENTS. Ken Foster

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I bet they're saving all the great trophies for the State shoot next week. In that case-I'll be happy!!

6. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

even though i will probably not win a trophy, i think better quality trophies at the big shoots as well as the state shoots will bring more shooters.remember when your family used to get those nice ribbons with metals attached. They look like the ones the militray gets in a nice box. What ever happen to those type of trophies? I think rings should be given out to the winners of the state shoots.

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

In the past, the ATA has chastised big shoot clubs for cheapie trophies. The person to complain to is your delegate who will forward up to the EC.

8. whatta_attitude

whatta_attitude TS Member

OK OK OK were gonna give you a Budget to work with now run out and buy 100 trophies for 120 catagories oppppppppppppsssssssssss your 50% over Budget WHO'S NEXT
    NOT a single Voluunteer inagine that!!!!

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

The club furnished most of the trophies and for the last couple of years they have been lacking a little. I won some of the wine glasses last year. They were popular at a yard sale a few months later and that pleased me.

Purchasing trophies within the allowed budget is a very big job. Few recognize that the trophies for a typical 5 day shoot may not all fit into one pick up truck.

Our ATA President was at the Southern Grand and Ray quickly became aware of some discontent about the club trophies. In fact, Ray was made aware of this point several times each day of the shoot. The topic of trophies will be discussed when the decision to award satellite Grands to different clubs is made this coming August.

I do wish I would have won one of the less than impressive trophies. They were much better than nothing. I may not even be able to have a yard sale this summer.

Pat Ireland

10. royboy

royboy Member

I was so impressed with all my trophies, etc. that I took all three of them back to Dillards for store credit and THEN purchased a pair of shoes. The shoes fit well but are not real expensive.

11. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

They were sub par in 2006 and there were lots of gripes.....same old, same old in 2007.....somebody is not getting the message. I have to admit they were poo-poo at best.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Having been in the position of having to obtain trophys and stay within (proposed) budget for shoots in the past, I have to tell you its an almost impossible job ... Thats probably the only job worst than being a puller in the years past before the CVR's ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

The problem starts with the person who gives out the budget. The budget has to be large enough to buy GOOD trophies. I put the blame on the person who said the budget will be this. The money is there but they wil not let it be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.