1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southern Grand opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cole-mitchell, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

I am thinking about going to the southern grand in 09' and was wondering what everyone thinks of this shoot. I am particularly intrested in how the club matches up to what I have seen (Spokane,Tucson,Red mountain) The weather in March and the convenience of getting there, (Major airports in the odessa area)

2. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

I have also been to the shooting complex in san antonio

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot the Southern Grand for several years. I enjoy shooting at Silver Dollar. The weather is usually very nice to a little warm. I wear short pants at that shoot. The club is not far from Tampa, FL and air connections are good.

If you enjoy shooting for money, you can play the purses at the shoot or save that money and go to the horse races a few miles down the road. One of the best things about the shoot is the very fine restaurants in the area. I have learned to love Greek food and it is abundant near the Sponge Docks. Sponge diving is about gone but the docks are in place. If you, or anyone else, coming to Silver $ for the first time, travel with your pet dog, use care around the two lakes at the club. Alligators like puppy dogs for dinner as much as I like Greek food for dinner.

Pat Ireland

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Nice place to shoot but they could use a lesson on choosing trophies. It looks as though they do a lot of shopping at Dollar General or at some local flea market......no joke !!!!..............Uncle Sam, Pa.

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the dates yet?

6. Don S

Don S Member

Southern Grand March 10 thru March 16, 2008. The dates for 2009 have not been set. It usually takes place the second full week in March. The weather last year was almost perfect. High around 80 low about 55 with no significant rain. It always gets windy late morning through late afternoon. The staff at the Silver Dollar is well trained and very professional. They have been doing big shoots for many years. R. J. Stuart does the excellent computer work and tests new ideas at their shoots. Don't forget your golf clubs, the Silver Dollar offers 27 holes of golf on the other side of the street.

The Tampa Bay area offers many activities for all ages. I second Pat's ratings on the food.

7. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

trophies at the Southern Grand look like a 30 minute spot on the "Home Shopping Network." I never seen so many cake plates, serving spoons, wine glasses, tea and or coffee sets. I even seen a potato pot with the lid engraved High Overall, a few years back. They offer trophies where the placement stickers won't even stick to the trophy you won. Thats pretty bad when you have to lean the placement sticker against your trophy!

The Southern Grand puts on a great shoot and charges top dollar for their shoot. They might want to look at the trophies that Tucson Gun Club ( Spring and Autumn Grand offer). I have five of them and they are all nice!

Rick

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sometimes nice weather-many times not. Great restaurants and cold beer. Windy, nasty targets the norm and not a good place for the average conscious. Parking sometimes a premium on the East side. Can be a real zoo compared to the State Shoot held on the same grounds. Airport access is real close and plenty of rentals. No shortage of motels in area and a few nature parks if your interested.

Looks like I'll be making plans shortly to be there again!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.