1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Southern CA Trapshooter Completes Career

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neodymium143, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neodymium143

Neodymium143 TS Member

It is with great sadness that I must announce the passing of my father, Peter G. Jenks (Pop). Pop had been in the hospital fighting an infection for about the last month. Pop was one tough Marine because he was able to fight off two back-to-back Staph infections. Unfortunately, he caught MRSA, a third infection, while in the hospital. He lost his battle to the MRSA infection on October 1, 2010. Pop was 79, 24 days shy of his 80th birthday.

Pop enjoyed target shooting from a young age. As a boy during World War II he and his childhood buddies used to travel to the garbage dump at the end of the bus line with their .22s to shoot. My, how times have changed. Pop taught me to shoot as a young boy in the 70s. We enrolled in a hunter safety course at the old Winchester West facility off of Alameda Street in Wilmington. Pop bought a Remington 1100 at Fedco and we joined a league at Winchester West. We shot together for several years in various leagues at Winchester West and the Remington International Trap & Skeet club (now Triple B) until I went away to college. Several years later while I was in graduate school I got introduced to the ATA by one of my professors. I came out for the holidays in 1992 and reintroduced Pop to trapshooting. The family bought Pop a BT-99 and an ATA membership for Christmas and we shot the New Year’s shoot at Yochem Redlands. Pop shot all winter, spring and summer at Triple B, Prado, and Redlands. Growing up in Dayton, OH Pop had attended the Grand many times but never as a participant. In the summer Pop flew out to Blacksburg, VA and we drove up and shot the 1993 Grand American together. He had a great time. He really enjoyed the pork chop sandwiches. Pop shot off and on until 1994 before age and his various maladies made it too difficult. Pop missed shooting but he was always very supportive of my shooting in the following years.

Pop is survived by his wife of 50+ years, Mary; son Patrick of El Dorado Hills, CA; daughter Julie; and daughter Mary Kathleen (Kami) of Coeur D’Alene, ID.

Pop's services are scheduled as follows:

Thursday October 7, 2010
    3 to 8 PM: Viewing at Holy Cross Mortuary Rooms B and C
    6:30 PM: Rosary at Holy Cross Mortuary Rooms B and C

Friday October 8, 2010
    11 AM: Funeral Mass at Holy Cross Mortuary Chapel
    Location: Holy Cross Mortuary and Cemetery is located at 5835 W. Slauson in Culver City, CA

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be given to: Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, 825 College Boulevard, Suite 102 PMB 609, Oceanside, CA 92057.

https://semperfifund.org/

Pop you will be missed!

Sincerely, Pat Jenks

2. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Sorry for your loss. You have a lot of great times to remember. Be thankful for those and God may comfort you and your family. Tom

3. TC

TC TS Member

Sorry for your loss. Remember all the good times you had. Tony

4. Neodymium143

Neodymium143 TS Member

Thank you to all that have posted above and sent emails. I have updated the original post with the dates, times and location of Pop's services in the event that there are shooters that knew Pop and shot with him that would like to attend the services.

Sincerely,
    Pat Jenks

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I am so sorry for your and our loss.

"We are diminished."

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.