1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

South Dakota School Of Mines Shooting Club Startup

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sterlingz, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sterlingz

sterlingz TS Member

My name is Sterling Ziegler. I'm a Fresman at SDSMT. I'm trying to start a trapshooting club here. I have enough people and I am working with the Student Association to become a recognized club. I am new to the Rapid City area as well.

If there are any SDSMT alumni or Rapid City area shooters on here I would appreciate any ideas and support.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would contact Whiz White. Get his contact info from the advertiser's banner above.

3. BBowen

BBowen Member

sterling

give me a call at 347-3133. i will help you out all i can with getting your guns to fit, etc at no charge and i will donate two flats of shells.

best of luck

bruce bowen www.bbguns.net sturgis south dakota

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice Bruce!! Very nice of you.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sterling,

If you get a team assembled, keep in mind we host a pretty big shoot in March in the Kansas City area that is coordinated with the Kansas State University team. Its a long drive for you, but the teams from Wyoming and Colorado State have participated each of the last 3 years.

Our shoot is not as big as the ACUI nationals, but we think it might be the second biggest collegiate shoot of the season.

Let me know if you want more info.

Tim

6. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Look up Dan Dolan, He is a profesor at tech and sponsers a team at our local club

7. mj19

mj19 TS Member

Call Bob Felber, Bob's the ATA delagate for SD and can help you out. Also check with the Rapid City Gun Club. Greg Johnson runs the Club. Great place to shoot and Rapid gun club is having the Gold shoot the 13th & 14th of Sept.
    Mick

8. Browning30

Browning30 TS Member

My brother goes to school there he would be interested in helping you guys get started. He knows quite a few people in the ATA that could be of some assistence. You can email him at the above address. eric.young@mines.sdsmt.edu

-Lucas Young

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I spoke to the young man yesterday, I believe.

SDSM&T (where I taught some mathematics and computer programming classes) has had a trap team in the past. I am a Traingle frat boy.

Dr. Dan Dolan, a professor there and past board member of the Rapid City Trap Club was brought up. Dan is a good shooter (broke 100x100 in the handicap several years ago) and runs the experimental micro-materials lab at SDSM&T.

I suspect Dan would be a great asset in getting a team together again as he has in the past. We're talking about a league team, as they guys are in college. The new fall league started this week and is, I believe, a 10 week league. Anyone can shoot to league as long as they join the club. A team can have up to 10 shooters, but only the top 5 scores are used. This tends to make it easier on the team if a shooter may have to miss occasionally.

One can shoot each of the first three weeks, or shoot all 150 during the third week. Following the third week that can't happen because handicapping had begun.

I just finished sponsoring a league team, and will again sponsor two teams (1 will be law enforcement officers) next spring.

Whiz White

10. sterlingz

sterlingz TS Member

Thanks for the outpouring of support. Your comments are all very much appreciated. I've contacted Dr. Dolan and he has agreed to again be the adviser for the club. Thanks Whiz for that name. Mr. Bowen, thank you so much for your immediate generosity to our club.

Currently, our club is considered a "club in progress". We are in the process of writing a constitution and by-laws. If anybody has a copy of a college club's constitution that we could use as guidance with permission that we be a huge help.

Any more advice or contact would be gladly taken.
    Thanks,
    Sterling

11. sterlingz

sterlingz TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.