1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOUTH DAKOTA PHEASANT INFO

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bt 99 maxxx, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bt 99 maxxx

bt 99 maxxx TS Member

Anybody been to SD yet this fall. Any info would be appriciated. I am leaving thursday for a ten day adventure. We are hunting the chamberlain area. Some public some private, just wondering how the birds are.

Keep Shooting,

Charlie

2. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Click the link for lots of info.

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Charlie....Have a good hunt! I've hunted that general area many times with good success! Don't overlook the Walk-in areas along the river south of there.

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Loaded with Birds. Got back Monday. Great shooting and great trip. Haven't seen this many birds in 18 years

5. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

got back last Wednesday - there for opening weekend - outside Mitchell - lots of birds

6. gdyll

gdyll TS Member

Just got back Sunday.The hunting is great.Lots of birds.Because of heavy rains 3 weeks ago a lot of Corn is still standind.But you will have no problem killing your limit of 3 birds a day.We hunted in Buffolo county.

7. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

SD Game and Fish Dept reports the highest bird count since 1963, which was the last year of the Soil Bank program. The source of all those birds, the CRP program, is being allowed to wind down under the new farm bill, so this will likely be the best year from now until eternity. If you can, use all ten days on your non-res license. You can tell your grandkids about it.

This was a little cornfield North of Bristol. We killed birds there every day. After you shoot your limit of pheasants, you can shoot snow geese.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Smoke, What is that second picture. I will be in S.D. on Nov. 9-12 about 20 miles west of Platte. Jake

9. Littleboots

Littleboots Member

Just got back 8 of us killed limits in 2 too 3 hrs each day. beautiful weather. most corn now being harvested

10. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Jake - the second photo is SD snow geese. They're everywhere. You can't look up without seeing flocks of them, 2000, 5000, 10000.

11. bt 99 maxxx

bt 99 maxxx TS Member

sounds good so far. we have hunted chamberlain and the surrounding areas for about 8 years now. havent missed a season yet. I hope it is gonna be as good as you all say it is. ill let you all know when i get back.

12. bt 99 maxxx

bt 99 maxxx TS Member

Did anybody hear about a large hail storm around central south dakota this july that affected the pheasant populations, let me know any info is a plus

13. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

AAtrpshtr-

Check out the link. There was a little hail, but it was very localized. Yes, it could have killed birds on a section here or there, but didn't effect the total numbers of birds, which is great!! If you don't find them on one field, just move a few miles. Good hunting.

14. pdq

pdq Member

I'm going there tomorrow to Scattergun Lodge near Pierre, 3 days of gunning.

First time I've hunted pheasants -- looking forward to it -- weather reports are good.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.