1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by littleriver23, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleriver23

littleriver23 TS Member

Taking bookings for the 2008 pheasant hunting season. (References available)

Check out our site for additional information and videos of hunts at different times of the year at our place.

This is an all inclusive hunt which includes hunting, lodging, great meals, guides, dogs, free trap range with shells included, rides to and from the airport or town and the trainer will even assist you with any of your dog training needs.

Our basic Pheasant Hunting package runs for three days and four nights but we can accommodate however many days you would like to hunt.

You can harvest three roosters and five partridge per day(Combo of Hungarian and Chukars). If we limit early and time allows I often take people up into the prairie pothole region and hunt Sharp-tail grouse.

Don't forget to ask about our free whitetail combo hunts with any of our pheasant hunting packages. You can take a doe absolutely free of charge. If you take a buck it is an additional 1,000. There are normally several 170+ bucks shot each year either on our property or within five miles from the lodge.

Bring your own dogs, they are more than welcome. There is heated space inside for them. If they are a house dog they even sneak into the rooms with you as long as they don’t have any aggression issues with people or other dogs.

There is a big screen TV so you won't miss your Sunday and Monday night football games.

We have all the comforts of home. We do have rooms with queen size beds and adjoining, private bathrooms for couples. You need to make sure and request this as we only have a few available rooms like this.

We will do our best to accomodate any situation or different options you may require in a hunt.

Our Regular Pheasant Hunting Package Includes

* Experienced Guides that will accommodate your every need!
    * Pro Dog Trainer On Staff (Will be happy to help with any of your gundog issues)!
    * 4 nights lodging
    * 3 day hunt
    * 3 birds per day (5 Hungarian and/or Chukar Partridge may also be taken)
    * 3 meals per day
    * Transportation to and from the airport
    * Transportation to and from town!
    * Guided hunt with the finest Shorthairs, Wirehairs and Labs around
    * (you may bring your own dogs)
    * Camper hookups
    * New lodge with plenty of beds
    * Pheasant cleaning facilities and freezer space
    * Birds are cleaned, washed, bagged and frozen with package
    * FREE Trap Range
    * Our basic package goes for $900.00 + tax
    * Credit Cards Accepted (3% charge)
    * Non refundable deposit required
    Free whitetail deer combo with any pheasant hunting package. (Ask for more info)

We have HEATED Whitetail Deer Blinds that are elevated all over our land. This is a 100% wild hunt. You can also take a portable stand and place it anywhere you like. Our guides do their best to pattern the deer for you but you are more then welcome to hunt any area of your choice.

We also offer Canadian Goose Depredation Hunts that start in September. Lodging and meals included

We have FREE predator hunting available with our basic pheasant hunting package-calling fox and coyotes in fairly easy sitting on a hill looking down on the Jim River Bottom.

We will do whatever possible to accomodate any needs or desires you have while you are our guest

If you would like more info feel free to contact us 605-395-7799.

littleriver@nrctv.com

www.littleriverpheasanthunts.com

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Were is the nearest airport? Price looks good, Does it include meals?

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

probably Mitchel or Sioux Falls

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Shot410,
    Yes 3 meals per day included....:)

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You'd most likely fly into Aberdeen SD. It has a fairly good sized airport.

I remember Connie Stevens flying in a business jet many years ago.

I hunted out of there long ago and even met George Peppard and his son Steven there as well as Robert Stack.

It's a good area. We hunted near Chelsa, a few miles south.

This will be another banner year probably equaling those back in the early to mid 60's. It was tremendous last year except our operation could not get into the fields soon enough to strip out corn because of all the water lying around.

Consequently, we worked hard walking mile square corn... 16" rows too. Milo is my preference.

I doubt you would be disappointed in this operation.

Click the above link for antoher operation... Paul Nelson Farm. This is where the VP hunts as well as other dignitaries. Singles are a low $5,495 per stay.

Whiz White

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

All birds are wild, no release birds?

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I sent these people an e-mail- no response ??????????

8. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Dove, rare to find anything but wild and native birds in SD. I hunt our Iowa land in the N/W corner next to SD on the Sioux River and a few of my guests have asked the same question. One guy who had never bagged a native rooster could not believe the size. Last November and all of Dec. calls for 1 1/4 of #4's...can't wait. Oh, and Iowa whitetails routienly dress out at 200. That guys operation listed above looks good.

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

I had to ask. I've heard so many stories.

10. whiz white

We don't/won't hunt pen-raised birds. They are just too dumb and many don't run.

I have one time "hunted" pen-raised pheasant on then Governor Dick Kneip's farm in/around Salem, SD. It wasn't a hunt, but a shoot. Dick and I were good friends. We ate a big lunch at his place, then as I finished, I noticed some guys outside the window shooing birds out of a big/long pen. When we went outside the stupid birds were sitting on hay stacks, telephone poles, etc.

It was a senseless shoot. I can remember about 10-20 of them running in a line one after the other. We couldn't get them to fly. Some even still had their blinders on. And, yes, as someone above mentioned, they weren't near as good sized as wild birds.

A REAL sporting hunt is about the 3rd week-end. These wild birds get smart real fast!

40 years ago few pheasant would RUN, most flew. We've killed so many over the years, that in my opinion we have caused the running gene to persist because they will run right back between your feet, if necessary, to avoid flying.

I instruct the new hunters that you NEVER STAND STILL in a walk and in row crops you walk through many rows zig-zagging. AND, when we stop to fetch a downed bird, we NEVER STAND STILL, but move left-and-right.

Whiz

11. Lyle

Lyle Member

Whiz,
    I agree 100 percent. I am a former ND boy now living in Idaho. We have a 2000 acre farm in the family on the "Jim River" not to far from the farm mentioned on this post but on the ND side of the border. Looks like we need to set up an operation if there are 170 bucks at 1K a pop. To heck with the birds....ha.

I didn't think I could afford to move back home but it looks like I can!!!

Have a good season little river!

Lyle

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't understand why someone would go to the expense of traveling to the Rooster mecca of SD only to shoot canned birds. It's not like there aren't enough wild birds. Probably has to do with a Lodge not having enough ground to support the number of clients. Wild birds are the only way to go, if you need more shooting there is always clay birds.

13. littleriver23

littleriver23 TS Member

Before I answer your questions I wanted to make a point first.

Paul Nelson, would you mind not piggy backing on my post to promote your operation. I would appreciate it. Yes I know the VP hunts there. I also know he shot a fella two years ago. Safe operation!!!!!

Oh yea, Lyle. If you have land on the Jim River also on the ND border you have a gold mine. The deer in SD tend to get larger as you move north on the James but I haven't been up in your area. If you go about 30 miles south of us the quality of bucks drops tremendously. Smaller racks with strange growth.

You will fly into Aberdeen or you can fly into Sioux Falls a lot cheaper and drive. It is only a three hour drive and you might be surprised how much money you can save. If this is an option you want give me a call. I can get a rental for you a lot cheaper then you will be able to get it.

Now to answer your questions as straight as I can. Someone asked if all the pheasants were born in the wild. The answer is in 90+ % of the lodges in the state the real answer is NO. Whether any of us want to admit it or not that is the case. In our case we release our birds at five weeks. Maybe 10% survive to maturity at opening day but it is either release them so they get educated by predators and fly strong or release them a week before people get there and let them lead balloons. Most lodges are not by any means going to let you know they release birds but here is the story. With the amount of people that hit the 400+ operations in the state do you really think that most people's land can support harvesting several thousand roosters off of it in two months without anything being put back? Not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, there are places that don't release but they are few and far between. I have not seen a big money lodge yet that didn't release even though certain lodges will flat out lie to you and tell you they don't release. If they set up as a preserve the state makes them release a certain amount of birds. This is why we have land in the preserve and land set outside the preserve where there are no birds released. Even though we have to release some birds at least 85-90% harvested are still wild. We release a lot of blacks and buff pheasants. At least you know what you are shooting then and most people like to mount them. Some of them do make the winter and reproduce in the wild. I don't believe in trying to snow anyone and I won't. If you want to see how our birds fly and if you really think this is a canned hunt go to our website and watch the video's of how quick these birds are up and out of there. There are a lot more misses then there are kills, LOL.

To answer another question, the package for four nights and three days is 900. This includes absolutely everything but your license, hunting gear and alcohol. If we limit out early enough in the day I take whoever wants to go up to the prairie pothole region and hunt sharp-tails and hungarian partridge. We can also harvest roosters up there as well. Yes it is legal if you harvested your other birds in the preserve part of our land. Even though most of our birds are born wild and are totally wild if they are harvested in the preserve they count as a preserve bird and must be tagged. People tend to think because the word preserve is tacked on that the hunt is going to be canned. NOT SO!!! How many references do you want? Have you ever seen a 200 bird flush? Pen reaised birds don't do it, I guarantee it. We also have hungarian partridge and chukars on the place on both the preserve and the totally wild properties. You can harvest a combo of five of these per state law. If the state didn't make us release any birds we still would have to release some as five week old babies to help sustain the population. These are not marked birds at all. You couldn't tell the difference because I can't tell the difference and I know they are out there. If it isn't black or buff I don't know the difference. Now we do have to release 600 colored out roosters before september 1. Those birds are mostly burned off by the middle of september. When you get here in the middle of october if the dogs aren't on their game you will struggle just like on any public lands. They are smart and educated. They are more educated then almost any other area in the state that hasn't had any pressure until the 18th of october. Anyway, that is as straight as I can shoot it at you. I can guarantee you that you will enjoy yourself, you will like everyone working for you and you won't have a canned hunt. There are many people who don't shoot there three birds per day and their partner might shoot five. This is if they choose to hunt as a group and combine their birds. These are not gimmes. Check out the video's. If you have any questions I haven't answered please contact me at 605-395-7799 or email me at littleriver@abe.midco.net

14. littleriver23

littleriver23 TS Member

Just a little bit more food for thought. Someone stated that operations must be bringing in too many people and have too little land to support them. The revenue that is generated from the amount of people that come into the state for the first three weeks of the regular pheasant season is more the the rest of the accumulated dollars tourism brings into South Dakota for the rest of the year. This includes the Black Hills and MT. Rushmore. That is how many people come to South Dakota to hunt. Last year there were about six thousand more non resident pheasant hunters then there were resident hunters period. That includes the residents that only hunt deer or waterfowl. This is why you can't hardly find a farmer in the state anymore that will let you hunt free. Especially if you are a non resident. For those of you who have that luxery treat those people good because you have a real treat. I know one farmer of about fifty total I am acquainted with that will let anyone hunt his property free of charge. That is only because he likes to go along. Hope everyone has a great hunting season.

15. whiz white

My good friend, a retired Chevy dealer here, has land adjacent to the Paul Nelson operation. He knows Paul well and speaks extremely highly of him AND his operation.

Vic eats at the farm occasionally as a guest of Paul's. Another of our TS.COM members hunts there and he also speaks highly of the operation.

It is too expensive for me, but I prefer hunting with my friends over in Plankinton. We hunt in larger groups so the shooters do get to bust quite a few birds in a day.

I know nothing of the Little River Operation, or of the many others like it. I would assume that since it, like the Nelson operation, are in supreme bird land, there are few pen raised birds. I don't know this for a fact. And, yes, I've seen several 200 bird flushes... last year particularily. It reminded me of hunting in the 60's.

Again, personally, I am not interested in shooting pen birds. The thrill of bringing down a rooster traveling at 60 mph in the wind and a hundred feet above is tremendous.

The problem with resident and non-resident hunting is that non-residents normally pay to hunt on private land and residents have a helluva time finding private land to hunt on without shelling out big bucks to do so.

We used to charge folks like Browning Arms (and not much either) , but now we only hunt with friends and invited guests and we do NOT charge a dime. It used to be around $150/day/perosn. Now, it's nothing.

I think that's why we did it, because we live and work here for the enjoyment of the hunting.

We bought land for the farming operation 6-7 years ago for $324 an acre. Now it's going for $2,000. Most of the inflation is due to out-of-state money buying up land to hunt on. Money talks, but it's hurting the future of farming here.

IMHO.

Whiz

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation about supplimenting the wild bird population LittleRiver, thats kind of what I thought. Also I didn't intent anything negative about your operation, I'm sure I would have a great time there if I were lucky enough to do it. I grew up in western SD and truly love the state.

Lyle, you truly do have a gold mine up there. Some of the most impressive whitetail bucks I have seen were north of Beach ND. My annual rooster trip is to the area around Dickinson ND, and everytime I go through western ND I think I should line up a deer hunt in that area sometime.

17. whiz white

FRED: Regarding the memo: No need for it now. The dumb ones are dead, and the smart ones ran & flew probably into your operation to propagate the "don't fly" gene. HA!

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

south dakota pheasant hunting forum

white guy kills black people in sioux falls south dakota 3300 west rambler place roscrest