1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

South Dakota Pheasant Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Lee Fischer, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Lee Fischer

Lee Fischer Member

Just got back from White Lake SD. Great hunt,I've never went on a pheasant hunt out of state. What a great place and very nice people. If you are ever thinking about taking a trip do it. Also I would recommend #5's or even 4's for those tough wild birds. The guys that brought #6 were not happy and bought 5's.

Attached Files:

2. Chance McCall

Chance McCall Active Member

Great picture. Unfortunately, I had to learn the lesson the hard way 20 years ago using far too open chokes, #6 shot out of short shells and a 26 inch barrel. Perfect for Illinois, terrible in Nebraska and probably South Dakota. If I ever go to South Dakota to hunt:

1. It will be early in the season because I hate cold;
    2. I will have a 30" barrel choked full and extra full;
    3. I will use 3 inch shells with #5 in the lower and #4 in the upper barrel.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. lastbird

lastbird Member

That looks like a great hunt. We used to hunt SD on public land and ditches without dogs, always got our limit everyday but walked many miles. Might go back over and try again next year.

1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  4. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lee, glad you had a great time here in SD. Hope you stayed warm.

Bud

5. Joe O

Joe O Active Member

We had a good weekend last weekend also. If you know where to look they are bunched up now and the shooting will be fast and furious. In our group if you show up with anything smaller than #4's now you're going to catch hell. 1 3/8's #4 at 1400 fps will do the job. 5's would be OK early season. Anything 5's will do 4's will do better. Nothing more open than Modified choke is considered. You can always hold your fire on a close flush. Plenty of 30+ yd flushes this time of year. Also the blockers need tight chokes as the roosters are not color blind and won't fly right by the blockers like they might in October.
    It was COLD last weekend 4 on Saturday 12 degrees on Sunday but we didn't see many other hunters, wait, we didn't see ANY other hunters!

Attached Files:

6. Lee Fischer

Lee Fischer Member

Weather was cold, best day was maybe 10 with wind and lowest was -10 on Saturday with wind. I used #5 1 3/8 shot at 1500fps with full choke and worked good. I would love to go back next year maybe earlier in year but when we went there was no other hunters to be seen. The group of guys I was with were great and the hunting was a bonus, Thanks to Dakota Crown Hunts.

SD Trap Family thanked this.
  7. SD Trap Family

I have heard good things about Dakota Crown hunts. I think they started up a few years ago but do a great job.

I take customers up to Sargent Ranch Lodge north of Pierre and they also do a great job for small to large groups.

Bud

8. Readgriff

Readgriff TS Member

Just got back from SD 12 ga A5 with 5 shot lead and 2 shot steel 23/4 in.with .009 choke imp.cyl .
    All wild birds were shot off points and dead
    There have been allot of roosters killed with 23/4 shells over the years.
    Shooting roosters more than 40 yards yeilds to many cripples.

9. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Lee Fischer glad you had a great time in South Dakota as they have maintained a population of Wild Pheasants.
    There is still some good hunting in Iowa in places but not like it use to be. Nebraska also has some nice hunting as does Kansas. Glad you had a nice trip.
    If you like to Walleye Fish and are retired and have the time, the Missouri River in South Dakota has a great fall bite usually around the week before and during the week of Thanksgiving. Pheasants & Fishing

10. SD Trap Family

1100 Remington Man is correct about the great Walleye fishing as well here in SD. The Missouri river system is just amazing at the quality of fish it holds. The Cheyenne River in late Oct to mid November gets crazy with big fish. Many points sticking out along the fingers of the river and when you find where they are it is an amazing experience. Not only with quantity but also quality.

Get on the water early and fishing until 11:00, grab lunch, then walk some fields. Or start pheasant hunting at 10 and fish later in the afternoon. It's all good.

Bud

Setterman and 1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

And I thought Benny Spies was just kidding about the hunting and fishing in SD.

12. dwdds1

dwdds1 Member

I hunted South Dakota for years and finally settled on only #4s for the tough wild pheasants. Nothing better.

13. Vernal01

Vernal01 TS Member

Any of you guys use a 20ga on wild birds? I have always wanted to hunt in SouthDakota, but I am not sure if my 20 can handle the wild pheasants.

14. Isu27

Isu27 Banned User Banned

Hunted with Rem. 1100 lt all my life killed plenty of birds with magnum 4's 20 gauge

15. Red Birds

Red Birds Active Member

Hunted Iowa and South Dakota for 40+ years I use a 3" 1 1/4 with 6 shot, I think 4's is probably a better choice in a 12 Ga but I feel in a 20 it dosn't have enough pellets. I have never felt under gunned with a 20 anywhere on pheasants even in high wind and I also love it with 7 1/2 shot on quail I liken to carry a 20.

16. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Some of the guys in my group carry 20s and do pretty well but they're usually the dog handlers. The guide puts the 12 gauges on blocking duty (usually me) and 5 shot at 1500 fps make 'em rain and stone dead. We unequivocally get more cripples with 20 gauge 6s.

17. bowhunterklk

bowhunterklk TS Member

It really doesn't get much better than SD for pheasant! Those 12 gauge autos can get heavy after a few miles walking.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A 12 gauge, 2 3/4" shell with 1 1/4oz @ 1330 ( a standard load by most manufacturers) will put down any wild pheasant in killable range. a 3" 20 gauge load is usually slower than a 2 3/4" 12 gauge load, unless you spend big bucks on Prairie Storm, and they kick like a mule in a light 20.

(2) #5's followed by a #4. Even with good dogs, we didn't want to lose any wounded running birds. We wanted to anchor them. When you have multiple birds flush at the end of a field, there is no gurantee the dogs will be right there to grab a downed bird, and once they start running, good luck. Lots of scent out there.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  19. El Gordo

El Gordo Member

Gentlemen, thanks for all the info and great pics. I have wanted to go pheasant hunting in South Dakota for years. You have convinced me to go. Thanks again.

20. Red Birds

Red Birds Active Member

Great place to hunt regardless of what u use

Lee Fischer thanked this.