1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

South Dakota Pheasant hunt report

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RMR, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMR

RMR Member

Just got back from a great pheasant hunt in Kimball SD. Im guessing we saw 750+ birds- all wild ones no plants. The family that runs the farm ( 3800 acres) really looks at pheasant hunting as a crop- they leave lots of milo, corn up as well as switch grass close by for habitat.

RMR

2. Shane in WI

Shane in WI TS Member

I went to Huron area a few weeks ago. Saw lots of birds and had a great time, but the weather didn't cooperate too well. Got stuck in a blizzard they had. Headed back in a couple of weeks for more.

3. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

RMR, is the farm you hunted private ground or do they host hunters?

4. RMR

RMR Member

they host hunters. They require a minimum of 8 per hunting group to adequately hunt the land. They have a very nice lodge, sporting clays course, server 3 meals a day- and Im talking excellent food- you would think you were in a 5 star resturant. After the hunt they have a full bar. The hosts were extremely pleasant as were the guides. They also provide the dogs and shells - but you can bring your own dogs if you wish

Its called the Wagon Wheel Ranch. I woudl recommend them to anyone
    RMR

5. Cush

Cush TS Member

I hunted all over the state in November. Everywhere, the birds were down drastically compared to last year, which was not a great year. Of course, SD even in a bad year still beats just about anywhere else.

The drought and resultant shortage of hay was so bad the Feds let anyone with CRP till half of it into hay for the second season. That will hurt hunting for a few years.

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Cost?

Chuck

7. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

RMR I'm interested what would you say was the ratio of hens to cocks?

Brad

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Will these birds hold for a pointing dog?

9. RMR

RMR Member

Cost- I believe around 450/day which included lodging at a very upscale facility, 3 awesome meals ( one night had prime rib), guides and dogs plus shells. The trip was paid for me by a a corperation so I dont have the exacts- Im sure if you look up their web site the exact cost should be there

Ratio of cocks to hens. The first dat we hunted primarily Corn and Milo. Im guessing 80% cocks - we were very suprised. The following day we hunted a lot of switch grass with some flanking crops- Im guessing it was about 50/50

We hunted with flushing labs- saw a lot of rosters running in the corn. Im guessing in the switch grass - especially after we had about 6" of snow that a poi nting dog would have done great

RMR

10. Joe O

Joe O Member

RMR; If you are seeing a ratio you describe in December it is a safe bet that the birds are NOT wild. That would be a great ratio on opening day! Virtually all of the operations that function as you describe(meals guides etc.) plant plenty of roosters to keep the clients happy. The operation where we hunted only put the birds out in the morning to keep the Coyotes from chasing them all over creation every night and they have an aggressive predator control program!
    Joe O

11. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

Hunted wild birds on private farm land this last week end, north of Brookings SD was great 5 hunters 3 dogs limit in about 2 hours each day then went out hunting coyotes.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Hope this is the right web site. If not a number to call is 605-830-2925

13. RMR

RMR Member

"RMR; If you are seeing a ratio you describe in December it is a safe bet that the birds are NOT wild."

The owners of the farm have 3800 acres under their control and rotate area that have been hunted so they dont get overhunted. I was told by one of the guides - that once they hunt a section it will be rested for 2-3 weeks at least.

I have hunted over "put" birds in the past. I have also hunted over wild birds in Ill, Iowa, SD, ND and Montana since I was about 12 ( currently am 53). So I feel pretty good I know the differrence between a put and wild bird in how they act, fly...... Now I didnt actually ask one of the pheasants where they were from - but Im pretty confident these were wild birds.

RMR

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

There was good hunting up around Minot ND, but cold as hell

I still don't see why you can only have 3 shells in your mag in ND, sometimes I need a couple more the way they were coming up at times, but we did good

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I hunted stocked birds in Penn when I was 18. Now 53. Those birds went straight up about 3 to 5 feet then took off if you missed. I have not had the luck to shoot or hunt wild birds. My understanding they just take off with no up and the out.

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My experience is the first time they are shot at it's up and out, then they figure out you are trying to kill them and they change their tactics

17. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

I've been in the pheasant hunting business now for 18 years, all pen raised birds are not alike. There is one sure way to tell if birds are pen raised, check there nose hole, if you can see through it from the side it had a blinder on, a wild bird has no hole for a blinder.

Brad

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Without that blinder on pen raised cocks, Brads business would require him eating more of his investment?? :)

Hap

19. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

raised pheasants for years before retirement. If you wnt your pen raised birds to fly in the wild put a cat in the pen about every three days, you can't tell them from wild birds in the field

20. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Can we see a video of the cat being put in the pheasant pen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.