1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

South Dakota Nov Pheasants & Sharptails ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JHS, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHS

JHS TS Member

My first trip to SD for Pheasants and Sharptail Grouse is in mid Nov. I have a 12 ga double choked IC and Full and a 20GA OU choked IC and Mod. Which should I take?
    Jim

2. llano bill

llano bill Member

Take em both! Guns break. Been there..................

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Where in SD are you going? Take the 20.

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I'd take the 20 and use 3 inch shells with 1 1/4 oz. of shot.

Lighter gun to carry and same firepower.

5. Lyle

Lyle Member

I am envious (somewhat), but I am guessing that the sharptail hunting will be very tough that time of year, as in you will be lucky to get any. You will see several. They become very wild the colder it gets and November could be a bit chilly. September and early Oct. is the best time on Sharpies while they are still holding tight. I am also guessing that you will do well on the roosters and won't believe your eyes if you have never been there before. Have fun.

Lyle

6. Dano

Dano TS Member

Dear JHS,

There are no pheasants or sharptails in South Dakota this fall. We had a wet spring and they all moved away. No need to come to SD to hunt, but maybe you could try Nebraska...Please don't beleive what the Game Fish & Parks folks say about the great brood counts, that's just to lure in the poor out of state hunters and overcharge them for motel rooms....Again we are fresh out of birds here in South Dakota......):):):):):)

Hope he buys this excuse!!!!!

Dano

PS... Bring Both the 12 and the 20... use #5 steel or #6 lead.....Remember lead only if you hunt on State or Federal ground....

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Have to agree with Dano.

Ya, the hatch was so bad, GF&P was considering upping the daily bag limit to 4 per day. ;-)

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.