1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

South California to become 51st State??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A local California lawmaker hopes to seperate California into two seperate States. Would be South California.

Maybe there is hope for us Southern Illinois residents. South Illinois sounds good to me. Then Chicago could have at it with their State and leave us Southern Illinois Republican gun lovers alone.

It will likely never happen but i can dream can't i??

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'd feel better if California was it's own country..... They can spend themselves into the Pacific.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I live in CA (at least most of the time) and if the state was divided just north of Fresno, I would support it 110%. Perhaps they could carve a coastal portion up to say Bodega Bay to include with the south.

I remember this coming up as a kid growing up just south of Sacramento, and thought it was a terrible idea. In hindsight, can't see the downside to losing the geography and vast majority of the population in it.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Great, just what we need - 2 more far left kook Senators like Boxer, Feinstien.

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The carve out that Stone is proposing is actually a terrific idea for conservatives in Ca. Not so good for the liberals who bleed the conservative areas of the state dry. I'd vote for it in a heartbeat.

Robert

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I'd like to see them be another country, and the sooner the better. Dividing it in half wouldn't do much except add two more liberal senators to congress. You'd still have Sacramento and San Francisco controlling their half with no say from the rural parts, and the same with Los Angeles - it would control the policy agenda of the southern half. I grew up there and voted conservative until I was blue in the face and wish I never had to go there again, but alas, we still have relatives there (drat). Our state is the 2nd reddest state in the country behind Wyoming and just posted an 85 million budget surplus this year. I doubt that will ever happen in CA. Jennifer in Idaho.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I really hate to get into this on a discussion forum, if there're discussions at all, from those who usually have nothing to do with the topic. But I have to point out some facts about the state I live and love.

NOT everyone here are liberals, we are not all stupid or sick like them.

California's population is greater than all but 34 countries of the world.

California GSP is the largest in the United States.

California is approx. 14 percent of the United States GDP.

California's GDP is larger than all but eight COUNTRIES in the world.

California is the largest tax paying state in the U.S.

Most modern technology based industrial companies are based in California. Including some of those we use to defend our country with.

BTW, if you have to google "GSP", "GDP", you really wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Make it another state? To heck with that. Give it back to Mexico.

9. Jim Veta

Jim Veta Active Member

Thanks Steve W. I am in Reno, Nevada half the time. So. Cal the other half. As much as I like the people in Reno and the great things I can do in Northern Nevada it still pales by comparison to Southern California. So. Cal weather is the best in our country, if not the world. There is a temendous culture base and great ethnic diversity. You want to talk WATER? The Pacific ocean. Yosemeite park and all it's beauty. No place on earth like California. All states have "penis envy" towards California and it's diversity. I get tired of the jealousy and the bashing.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Brian, give it back? Heck the Mexicans have already taken it.

Jim, do the people in Reno a favor and stay in CA the whole year.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jim is right about California having some of the best land around. Unfortunately all that beauty and opportunity has been a downfall as there are just too many people. I don't see an imaginary line solving any problems there.

12. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I see a very redeeming opportunity to separate the majority of Liberals from the majority of conservatives by doing this. The proposal includes everything from Riverside county south to San Diego (mainly conservative country) and leave out LA (which is mostly liberal).

The southern California folks can go back to the good life and run our own Government the way we would like it to be instead of being told how to do it by a bunch of bleeding hearts.

BTW for those of you that rag on California, this website is originated and run by a great guy that resides in California...

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The dividing line should divide east from west, not north from south. Let the leftist westists on the coast live in the culture they have created without the benefit of farmland and other rural areas to tax to death to pay for it, and see how that works out.

14. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Heck in Texas we were going to break off from the states and be our own Country. Only problem is so many People would want to move here. Allen

15. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Steve W, you can try, but there's no way you can sugar coat what's going on in CA. Sure there are conservatives there - I'm friends with many who still live there - but they're helplessly outnumbered. As a 4th generation Californian, I left there in disgust in 2004. I was born in 1968 in LA County. I had plenty of time to form my opinions and plenty of in-your-face experience as a firefighter/paramedic. You didn't mention on your list that in some counties, the sales tax is 10%. You didn't mention that with the high taxes, you get very little back (potholes, crumbling infrastructure, traffic, smog, long response times for police and fire due to closing of resources due to budget mismanagement, crowded emergency rooms and closing hospitals, etc). Also not mentioned are the multitude of asinine laws, political correctness run amock, and a total lack of common sense. High utility bills and power brown-outs also come to mind. What's so dangerous about California is that it has some of the most draconian gun laws (to protect "the children") and a general dislike of hunting, guns and gun ranges, and that eventually, as the saying goes, "as California goes, so goes the rest of the country." That alone would make it a decent candidate to be another country in my opinion.

To many Californians, the "diversity" and "culture," prolific sunshine, snowcapped mountains, desert poppies, good sushi bars, and the Pacific Ocean are all worth putting up with the negatives. Not to me. I can't abide by the fact that I could be thrown in jail for traveling anywhere in the state while armed with a handgun, concealed or not. That's not freedom.

Respectfully said, of course, and no offense to David!

16. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

Jennifer, Here Here. I agree with you 100%. I was born and raised there. I left there at the age of 33. I could no longer put up with it. I lived in one of the more conservative areas (Central Valley). I could no longer take the gang violence, the homless ruleing, the liberals from the LA and Bay Area telling the rest of thje state what to do. Tim

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I want to move my hundred thousand dollar house there so I can sell it for half a million.

HM

18. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Dear Jennifer, I agree with you in some points, but not most of them. And I appreciate you keep this topic civilized. And I respect your contribution as a firefighter/paramedic while you are here. It's a shame we can't keep you.

Some of your statements are not or no longer true, sales tax is not 10% or 9.75% anymore, it's 8.75% in L.A. county, and that certainly is far from the highest in the nation. Our property tax is 1.05% and protected by proposition 13, it will stay low if you live here. Mr. Warren Buffett's $500,000 house in Nebraska is paying more than double in property tax than his $3,000,000 house in Laguna Beach, CA.

I don't know where you were in CA, but there're no potholes on the streets where I am, or where I travel.

There're two occasions in the past 25 year I have to call 911 for police, the local police were at my front door within 2 minutes, one false alarm made their tactical team (not SWAT) showed up because they thought there was a hold up.

The 911 medical call from my parent's house bring in firefighter/paramedics within 3 minutes.

Local ER is very busy as you said, but any true medical emergency will get treated immediately. Even a dog bite on my thumb gets me by pass all the waiting.

Speaking about gun laws, we do have some stupid ones, like 10 day wait. But CA is far from the worst in the nation, we can legally own (not buying new) original capacity magazines, unlike some east coast states you can't even keep them around. And we don't need a firearm license to own firearms like some midwest states, we only need to pass a handgun safety handling test.

Hunting and target shooting is very popular here, I live in the beach cities of L.A., you'd think I'm surrounded by anti gun people, but to everyone's surprise, I can drive 5 minutes to a local trap range, or 15 minutes to a pistol range, usually they are full in the weekends. To your surprise, in this (considered) tourist beach town full of Bikinis and Beach Volleyball Tournaments, All, I say all of my neighbors have guns in their home. And we are not even rednecks.

We, California gun owners and sportsmen are doing our best we can to keep this beautiful state beautiful and safe. We don't need bashing from out of state friends.

With the most comfortable weather in the world, we will not leave.

19. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

The proposal would also include Kern, Tulare, and Kings counties. With all due respect to Steve W, the weather ain't that comfortable here in the San Joaquin Valley. Tolerable, maybe.

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

In ten years it will be part of Mexico. They are a vocal majority now (yes majority) that scream whitey go home this is our country. And you are so afraid of not being politically correct they are not illegals they are "undocumented".

If the citizens of California don't demand their state back and show some backbone it won't be South California it will be North Mexico. And that Change promised in DC will come roaring in like a runaway freight train.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.