1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Source for gun case Foam?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ivanhoe, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

sshotshell the above web site might have what you are seeking.

If they don't have what are looking for try Sleepy's Mattress Stores they might have something is the nature of a mattress pad that you might be able to use.

You can also Google foam packaging or egg crate foam.

Bob Lawless

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'd start at the local Hobby stores.....Bob Dodd

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I just made up 3 new fitted inserts ,,,6 diffrent guns,,,,for my pelican case,,,,pelican wanted $60 for one set,,,,got 3 sets from a local upolstertry shop,,,,and got to see the padding for the out fiel wall at the Mets new baseball stadium while I was there

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

My local pharmacy and hospital bed rental place has them ...marketed as mattress pads

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

guys test it first. Some of the foam will rust a gun very fast . I have a model 12 that is a mess from some of the stuffing foam

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

You want it with a VCI treatment (volatile corrosion inhibitor) The Fabric supply place I used to go to had foam of all types......they had foam that was specific label for storage with VCI. Some foams hold moister big time!!! I built a custom guitar case and made a spot for a large disicant pack and a a VCI emitter. http://www.ipack.com/shop/department/convoluted-foam-4173.cfm another good source for anti rust stuff http://www.theruststore.com/category.aspx?SID=2&Category_ID=31&Page=2

7. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Packaging foam is generally an open cell foam; cheap to produce and allows air to circulate against the gun metal.

Upholstery and mattress foam is closed cell; closed cells act as tiny balloons to improve cushioning but air and moisture can be trapped against the metal.

Carol Lister

8. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear SSshotshell,
    Be extremely carefull of any foam liners in your guncase. The finishes on your gunstock will react with the polymers outgassing from the foam. This won't happen until the temp. goes over 100F during storage in your vehicle trunk. High quality cloth bags are the best protection during routine transport. After it (foam liners) destroys the finish on your personal target gun, you won't be the same person. Good high quality felt lined gun cases are not cheap. But they do provide a great level of protection for your favorite smokepipe.
    Respectfully,
    Jet Boat Bill
    (P.S.) In my former life, got to spend a lot of lab. time working on all types of foam....The chemicals that come out of plastic foams during their life span is still being watched closely, because the chemicals & mfg. processes are still in a constant state of change. Trace recycled plastics are showing up in FOOD GRADE FOAMS! And most foams are being made overseas in third world countries.)

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Fabric stores carry many types and sizes of foam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best closed cell foam for gun cases

closed cell foam for gun case forum

mattress foam for gun case forum