1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sound proofing a hydro unit. Ideas / photos?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnjohn91387, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Loaded some shells yesterday to replace the ones I emptied at the state shoot, and realized that I don't much care for the whine of the hydro unit.

I put in some earplugs, and a headset. After an hour, I could still hear the whine.

It kind of gets on my nerves..... probably being oversensitive, but it's irritating.

I am going to try to build a box to soundproof it, and add a couple of fans to help keep air moving across the unit.

One suggestion was an inner box, lined with sound proofing material, attached to the wood base of the hydro unit, and then build a second box outside of that, with maybe a 1/2" gap all the way around, and fill the gap with sand, to further deaden the sound. Also, a double layer of soundproofing material, underneath the loader, to deaden vibration on the shelf of the reloading bench to which the loader is attached.

As it turns out, I have lots of high quality 3/4" plywood laying around.....

Any other suggestions and / or photos would be appreciated.

Thanks !

JOhn

(can I have some cheese with this whine?)

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I think trading it for an Automate would be a lot easier and cheaper.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Hi John,

One suggestion given to me was find a wide carriage high speed printer cabinet. They were pretty expensive new, but dot matrix long ago pretty much died, and should be very reasonable used. They were incredibly insulated/sound proof to knock out the irritating print head flying across. They also had a built in power strip/surge unit inside the box.

The other pluses to finding one is built in fans to cool the unit, and a nifty lid to raise lower if you want to check oil, etc.

Just an idea. I had one tucked away to use, but lost track of it, and I found the noise of the Spolar hydraulic unit to not bug me. I can certainly see if you are sensitive, it would.

4. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I put mine outside of my reloading room and added extra lenght to th e hoses.
    Don

5. cementman

cementman Member

<a href="http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/kgwolo/?action=view&current=DSC00769.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The insulation you see that lines the box is sheet metal duct insulation that is used to dampon noise from large fan systems. The hydraulic unit is a Spolar mounted on large rubber gromets. Did not install a fan inside but did but side and back ventilation slots, 3" x 5". All I hear is slight "purr" when unit is running.

6. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

John, the link above may give you some ideas...

7. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

Trying the link again...

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Remember this thing needs air and will get hot if not ventilated .

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Loud rock-n-roll.

10. bocephus

bocephus Member

Why not put it outside where you won't hear it and run the hydraulic lines in to your reloader?

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

John: Same info I gave Diedrecksen; they used to be seen all over at garage sales... dot-matrix printer sound deadening cabinents. Most has circulating fans too.

Where you are, you should be albe to locate a couple. Most businesses bought them, as they were a bit pricey for the home computer folks.

Whiz

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Mount on the styrofoam it came shipped in and mount on a 3/4" plywood base and insulate a cabinet front and sides with styrofoam. Leave the back open for ventilation. Fred

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I had a pretty good sized piece of carpet left over and wrapped it around the unit. And it still does not get hot at all, with very little opening around it, hardly warm! Its MUCH quieter and very simple to do. Probably get a chunk of scrap carpet free at a carpet store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.